XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

06-19-2015, 06:28 PM   #1
Andrewhl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 435 Mpkg Xdrive

Any recommendation for Newbie in photo taking?

Hi guys
just get my 435 and I realize I really need a decent camera instead of using my iPhone

Any idea what kind of camera shall I begin with? I don't wanna spend too much on camera at the beginning stage. I used to have a Rx-1 of sony, but I barely used it and didn't bring it with me to Canada.

thx
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:51 PM   #2
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewhl View Post
Hi guys
just get my 435 and I realize I really need a decent camera instead of using my iPhone

Any idea what kind of camera shall I begin with? I don't wanna spend too much on camera at the beginning stage. I used to have a Rx-1 of sony, but I barely used it and didn't bring it with me to Canada.

thx
Hey welcome to Toronto, where you from originally? Try going to Black's they are having crazy going out of business sales on most of their products.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Apple iPhone and chk out the apps the pros use
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #4
ekinnyc
Private
Rep
Drives: '15 328xi

Garage List
2015 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi guys

thx
do you want a full-on DSLR? check out some of the APS-C systems (ie. Fuji) and micro 4/3 (olympus). one lesson i took for granted that i wish i hadn't was "invest in glass, not in the bodies" - technology gets old, but quality glass will never fade. i would even consider picking something up second hand from a reputable forum, such as Fred Miranda or POTN.
      06-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
eezeekial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I wouldve kept the RX1! Mirrorless will be the norm within 5 years as DSLR is already on its way out.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 05:06 PM   #6
Andrewhl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
Hey welcome to Toronto, where you from originally? Try going to Black's they are having crazy going out of business sales on most of their products.
Beijing,but I lived in Bayarea for a couple of years, and I went to Aden camera last week , get a 1dx, which I felt a bit hot-head decision ( the cost of camera +lens +my new 435 could almost get me a brand new M4)
But I really enjoy the camera by far, and shooting cars on the road is really,just have to do more homework on the camera
fun
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Beijing,but I lived in Bayarea for a couple of years, and I went to Aden camera last week , get a 1dx, which I felt a bit hot-head decision ( the cost of camera +lens +my new 435 could almost get me a brand new M4)
But I really enjoy the camera by far, and shooting cars on the road is really,just have to do more homework on the camera
fun
Go down to Yorkville on a sunny day and you'll have lots of cars to shoot in front of Hemingway's.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 06:55 PM   #8
Andrewhl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70
Quote:
fun
Go down to Yorkville on a sunny day and you'll have lots of cars to shoot in front of Hemingway's.
lol I live just at Yonge bloor
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #9
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezeekial View Post
I wouldve kept the RX1! Mirrorless will be the norm within 5 years as DSLR is already on its way out.
No comparison to a 1D X. Mirrorless may be there in five-years, but not at the moment.
      07-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #10
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
He needs something now though. Not in five years.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:00 PM   #11
eezeekial
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
No comparison to a 1D X. Mirrorless may be there in five-years, but not at the moment.
You are talking about a camera that is over $5000... I dunno what things you are specifically referring to but the A7RII will be $3200 and will surpass the 1DX in most categories within a couple months. You have a camera that weighs half that of the 1DX with lenses that are smaller/lighter and a camera that has the ability to use all of your Nikon/Canon/Sony lenses with an adapter. The gap is closing, 5 years is being generous.

As far as right now, I would pick up a Sony a6000. Its the best bang for the buck IMO. Takes beautiful pictures and video. Very portable, small, lightweight, the rear display screen tilts (which is awesome for in the sun or taking low shots), and the fastest AF in its class . There are some excellent Zeiss lenses out for it also. Also has built in wifi to transfer pics to your phone/computer. The list goes on. All for under $800.

Here's a thread to show some of the pics with lenses that people took with the a6000
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1288669/43

Last edited by eezeekial; 07-06-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 03:49 PM   #12
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Quote:
You are talking about a camera that is over $5000... I dunno what things you are specifically referring to but the A7RII will be $3200 and will surpass the 1DX in about every category in a couple months. You have a camera that weighs half that of the 1DX with lenses that are smaller/lighter and a camera that has the ability to use all of your Nikon/Canon/Sony lenses with an adapter. The gap is closing, 5 years is being generous.

As far as right now, I would pick up a Sony a6000. Its the best bang for the buck IMO. Takes beautiful pictures and video. Very portable, small, lightweight, the rear display screen tilts (which is awesome for in the sun or taking low shots), and the fastest AF in its class . There are some excellent Zeiss lenses out for it also. Also has built in wifi to transfer pics to your phone/computer. The list goes on. All for under $800.

Here's a thread to show some of the pics with lenses that people took with the a6000
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1288669/43
the A7RII doesn't compete with a 1DX. It will never shoot sports, action or take on serious elements for wildlife etc, in the same light it is a much higher megapixel count camera made for other video, and what i would guess is studio work, the 1DX is not for studio work, there are much better and sometimes cheaper cameras for that, even the 5d3 is better suited for that. You aren't comparing apples to apples, heavy/fast pro slr vs best in class full frame mirrorless camera. There will be a market for the heavy duty, long battery life, weather sealed as long as it can't be found in the mirrorless market. Just look at medium format cameras, they still exist and are in heavy use for commercial work.

To not get off track, the OP doesn't seem like he cares about bang for the buck if he just went off and got himself a 1DX off the bat, sold a sony rx1 and considers himself a beginner at the most beginning stage. In car terms he got his drivers license and bought an M3 as his first car, sold it and bought an M6 instead.

If he needs a camera right now and already got a 1DX, the better suggestion here really would have been to pick up some lighting since from the sound of things he wants to photograph his car or other cars. And lets be honest here, car photography needs lighting.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #13
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I think that the Canon 7D MkII is the best bang for the buck for sports, birds and wildlife. At $1,500, it has incredible resolution, comparable with the very best lenses that anyone makes. High pixel-density is the right answer for focal length limited shooting.

At the same pixel-density, I'm thinking hard about a 5Dsr for big landscape prints, but that's another matter.

I think that mirrorless will be there in three to five-years, but not close yet, IF you demand speed and precision AF.
      07-07-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
eezeekial
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
the A7RII doesn't compete with a 1DX. It will never shoot sports, action or take on serious elements for wildlife etc, in the same light it is a much higher megapixel count camera made for other video, and what i would guess is studio work, the 1DX is not for studio work, there are much better and sometimes cheaper cameras for that, even the 5d3 is better suited for that. You aren't comparing apples to apples, heavy/fast pro slr vs best in class full frame mirrorless camera. There will be a market for the heavy duty, long battery life, weather sealed as long as it can't be found in the mirrorless market. Just look at medium format cameras, they still exist and are in heavy use for commercial work.
You are right, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Sony's next step should be to build a rugged mirrorless camera to start competing with some of the other styles out there. If you havent played with an a6000, its worth checking out. After having a D300 and D800, I was sold on the A7s and a6000 after 10 minutes of playing with them. The low light ability on the a7s is incredible if you dont mind the sacrifice in MP. (Im more of a video person and the wife is more of the photographer)

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #15
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Okay, I'm starting to understand this segment of the Sony line up; there's the a7S which has low pixel-density, aimed at video; there's the a7 II with a medium pixel-density, aimed at all around; and, the a7R with high resolution and high pixel-density aimed at the resolution crowd.

I guess they share a chassis; otherwise, they wouldn't all be a7, with totally different sensors.
      07-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #16
eezeekial
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Okay, I'm starting to understand this segment of the Sony line up; there's the a7S which has low pixel-density, aimed at video; there's the a7 II with a medium pixel-density, aimed at all around; and, the a7R with high resolution and high pixel-density aimed at the resolution crowd.

I guess they share a chassis; otherwise, they wouldn't all be a7, with totally different sensors.
Correct.
Appreciate 0