XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Space saver for first gen X1

A nail led to a somewhat early replacement of the OEM rubber with Bridgestone runflats; I was in a hurry and didn't bother researching it, and I've never been keen on just carrying a plug kit.
Anyway, a blurb elsewhere led me to believe that a space saver is available for my car; my winter tires aren't run flats.
What is the group thought in terms of storage of a space saver spare? Is there an OEM or aftermarket adapter for the trunk that would waste less space?
Any info is appreciated. I've been loyal to the runflats (and they make sense for my wife's X3), but regular tires offer more options for less money.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Arguably the best space saver is a can of slime or plug kit (that's the route I took and I don't do run flats). Otherwise there are no kits that I'm aware of but I did hear a guy just placed it under the floor mat and put the floor mat on top which seemed have worked.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2016, 11:47 PM   #3
Jump1
Rep
Drives: x1 xdrive 28i

Here's a thread from 2014 that I found helpful( first link). I picked up the set recommended by Dimitry83, which is an E60 compact spare, with jack, wheel chock, wrench, and foam insert. The E90 bag is really nice looking and quite sturdy, and the whole package doesn't take up a lot of room. There are other wheel and bag options available from Bimmerzone as well.
I test-fitted the wheel and the clearance and diameter look fine. I also have a plug kit and good quality compressor for small leaks, but my cottage is in an isolated area 280 km north of Toronto and chances of finding a replacement RFT are slim and none if a tire gets trashed. There is a picture of the bag in the second link below but cheaper options are available.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ire+experience

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787478

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/36110308889
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/51470444689
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thnx, jump. That was precisely the info I was looking for.
The question now becomes how to stow it.
Do we know if the tire will fit in that underfloor tray with the dividers removed? If so, the parcel floor should fit over top and not too much space would be lost.
Here's a question; my X1 came with a jack kit, factory bag and all. Is this common?
Anyway, do we know the diameter of the space saver? Will it fit in that underfloor tray?
Thnx,
Moon
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2016, 09:45 PM   #5
Jump1
Rep
Drives: x1 xdrive 28i

In that first link, a member named 3Bims describes how he removed the hard trunk cover and plastic tray above the battery and that gives you a few extra inches of depth. There's a pic with the donut under the plastic trunk mat. I didn't bother, just put the tire in the trunk area and secured with the straps on the bag. There's a pic of the tire and bag in place in the second link I gave you. From my perspective, it doesn't take up too much space, but I'm not carrying kids around. If more cargo space is needed I just fold down the seats. In one way, having that spare is kind of handy for stowing shopping bags in the gaps around the circumference, stops them from sliding around....I don't have a cargo net. I don't know how common it is to get a jack kit with an X1, I got mine with the space saver kit. Below are the specs from the Bimmerzone offering. I got mine at my local BMW dealer.

" Tire 135/80-17 (Kenda) pre-mounted on BMW Space Saver Rim (Rolling diameter is 25.5 inches, thickness is approx 5.5 inches). This spare will work regardless if you have the 18" Rim (but not tested on the M-Sports with 19" Rim)"
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep

Jump, useful info and thanks. I'll have to do some measuring and figuring; won't be buying right now (our daughter is getting married......), but I'd like to do something before the winters go back on this fall.
Best,
Moon
Appreciate 0