XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #1
NJSteve
Rep
Drives: x1

Considering 2015 X1 & have some questions.

Just took a test drive of a 2015 X1. I have a few questins for those that have the X1.........

The headlights are halogen. How well do they light the road? (surprised that a luxury car does not come standard with HIDs!)

What's been your experience with the run flat tires? (I have heard they are easily damaged by pot holes, which we have tons of around here)

Any reports of engine or transmission issues or failures?

How are your X1's holding up in general?

How do they do in the snow and ice???

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I've had my X1 for just a handful of months but I did a lot of research beforehand.

From what I've seen the show handling is superb.

There have been reported issues with the transfer case.

Get rid of the run flats as soon as possible, especially if they are Eagle LS2 as they handle horribly.

And get HID's if you can - I've got them on my car and love them.

Also, highly recommend tinting rear half of the car.

All that said you will love the car. I love driving ours as it handles like a sedan and not an SUV

If you have any questions ask away.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #3
NJSteve
Rep

Thanks for the quick response!

I did notice that the X1 I was looking at has the Eagle run flats. But if you get rid of the run flats, what do you do about a spare????? Just take your chances?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 10:37 PM   #4
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Overall "holding up" is good.

I'm in a 2014 X1. I would recommend a clear bra or protective laminate for the entire bottom half of the car. There's something about the paint that doesn't hold up well. I've owned many makes and it seems as if this paint chips fairly easily and it drives me insane.

And to address the runflats vs "normal" tires... Well I had the continental runflats , I didn't like them, too harsh of a ride especially with the m sport set up. I quickly upgraded the wheels to 19" with "normal" tires and noticed a less jarring ride. As for having a flat. I have towing through my insurance, so I recommend that. No other real option there.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I've had mine tuned for about 2 years now, still runs strong and I've never had an issue with my drivetrain. I'd get rid of the run flats asap, they're horrible. And honestly, when was the last time you had a flat tire? I still have the factory road side, so I'd use that, or my insurance has road side which has better mileage coverage for like $28/yr.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 12:59 AM   #6
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSteve View Post
Thanks for the quick response!

I did notice that the X1 I was looking at has the Eagle run flats. But if you get rid of the run flats, what do you do about a spare????? Just take your chances?
It depends how handy you are but you can fairly easily fix the flat on the side of the road. Either get a can of slime (though if you are in the US with TPMS sensors that might not work - appreciate other's input here), or get a pocket tire plugged which is what I have in my trunk. Together with a compressor of course.
The benefit is you fix it on the spot without taking it to a tire shop, and better fuel mileage without the weight of the spare or the heavy run flats.

Also keep in mind that the run flats barely last a couple miles and then you can't fix them and you can't replace just one wheel, so any flat will cost you severely.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:36 PM   #7
NJSteve
Rep

Thanks a lot...much to consider.

What do you guys think about the stock halogen lights?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:

Don't go there, they are barely adequate and it is very expensive to retrofit with proper lights later.
I am still baffled that BMW still have halogen as default. The entry level Mazda 3 comes with better lights.

Last edited by Njerts; 11-09-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 01:53 PM   #9
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:

Look for the "Lighting Package" for adaptive HIDs that work very well. I didn't bother with iDrive, but I live in the inland NW, and don't need NAV. If you're interested in audio, get the Harmon stereo system. Mine's a i35, and there's lots of odd quirks for me to get used to, but I still love the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

go with the run flats if you don't get the Msport model. I changed my continental RF tires to the new Bridgestone drive guard series run flats and they have been great with a less harsh ride.

get the HID headlights if you can. they are good, but BMWs newer LED headlights are crazy bright. unfortunately, they were not offered on the E84 model. A 6 series gran coupe pulled up next to me with the LED headlights and its brightness, magnitude and throw distance were markedly superior to the HID I have.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #11
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

+1 for the lighting package with HID's

My 2011 Impreza had projectors and retrofitted with HID's it was far superior to the best halogen out there. With the halogen lights on the BMW being in a reflective housing you can't retrofit HID's, and I don't think LED's will be much of an improvement
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Just took a test drive of a 2015 X1. I have a few questins for those that have the X1.........

The headlights are halogen. How well do they light the road? (surprised that a luxury car does not come standard with HIDs!)

What's been your experience with the run flat tires? (I have heard they are easily damaged by pot holes, which we have tons of around here)

Any reports of engine or transmission issues or failures?

How are your X1's holding up in general?

How do they do in the snow and ice???

Thanks in advance!
Headlights: try to get the lighting package. Difference is night and day. Later you might regret not having the package.

Run flats: get rid of them asap. They are prone to puncture. In Canada one RFT tire cost me $530. I have replaced the tire and sold the whole set of wheels, and since then I am running all-weather on M wheels. You loose some stiffness in corners but you gain comfort and less headaches. I will never go for RFT. They say they run few km more to safety. Where I live in Canada, if a tire dies now or 50 km later, there is no difference for me, I will still be in the middle of nowhere.

No failures with mine, runs perfect since day one. It had 5 recalls or so. Next one will be done this week.

X1 holds excellent, no complaints.

It is a very well balanced chassis with a nice AWD system. Sporty RWD in the summer, nice AWD in the winter. The car loves the snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #13
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
No failures with mine, runs perfect si It had 5 recalls or so. Next one will be done this week.
What was recalled on your car?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:11 AM   #14
NJSteve
Rep

5 recalls?? What where they?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
5 recalls?? What where they?
I can obtain a list tomorrow, I guess.

One was a piece (tensioner I think) for the timing chain,
One was for the positive cable that runs from the fuse box to the battery
Tomorrow I am going for something that needs to be replaced in regards with the oil. Actually found a drop of oil on my garage floor, went directly to the dealer and find out that there is a recall on this one. BMW DID NOT SEND A LETTER!

I will come back tomorrow and let you know what is this recall about.

there is the thread for one recall:
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814808
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 12:51 AM   #16
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Oh wow, not cool.

If you have the recall notices still would be great if you can post which cars are affected. I looked on the government website and could only find three (and they're all different from what you describe I think).
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #17
ebolean
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Hi,

I have 2015 X1 228 Xdrive with 800 miles on it.

It is in the shop now because of some sort of transmission problem. I got up one morning, started the car, and got a warning that the transmission was overheated. Strange - since it had been sitting in the garage all night.

I am told it is the computer/control unit. They are flying one in from Germany and it should be here Wednesday.

Will let you know more when I know more.

Cheers

Bob
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #18
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

probably a lemon......one of the few. I had a problem when I first received my 35i. within 50mi the check engine warning came on. turns out all ignition coils failed. they were all replaced and no problems since. imagine the shock factor when the service associate tells you that with a new car. for a while I doubted my purchase.....and BMW reliability issues. Well 50,000 miles later, I am still Rollin and Loving it.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #19
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I've only had 2 issues with my X1. Real issues anyways.

1: the sunroof started leaking. Ended up taking out the battery and modules. Whole kit and caboodle had to be replaced. I'm now weary of my sunroof, hoping it holds up.

2: my gear lever sometimes doesn't kick itself back into position after I drive in manual mode and use the button to park the car. I'll get a ding and have to push the level right. Not a real issue, the car is parked, just the stick in the wrong place.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 02:14 AM   #20
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

Mine has been in the shop 2x. Nothing major, a few squeeks and rattles.

It is in the shop now for a strange osculating noise coming from the passenger side firewall. Hard to duplicate, but they finally managed. It was a collapsing vacuum hose.

Other than that it has been fine and I love it.

1000 percent get the HID's I am driving a 28i with halogens now and man do they suck.
Appreciate 0