Originally Posted by bimmerzone View Post
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to let you know that its available

Do check it out:

http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-E84-KIT.html

Picture of X1 Spare Tire mounted on the Front
Picture of X1 Spare Tire mounted on the Rear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQHKvtDgTpE

Goodbye runflats!!! Unfortunately, this will take up space in the trunk. Not sure if I will go this route for the X1 (I have a donut for our 128i). It will be interesting to see if the spare tire storage bag fits the X1 to secure the spare.

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
bmwx3805
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 cruze diesel and 2019 430I

Thumbs up

thanks for posting this. its definitely something i might buy when my tires need replacing
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

My 2013 X1 has the 4 attachment points in the boot so the spare storage bags should be compatible. BavAuto has a branded bag that it is a bit less expensive than the Genuine BMW bag):

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FYp_QgodW2cAFg

http://www.bavauto.com/fland.asp?par...FQ_hQgodG1MAdw

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

After pricing replacement summer RFTs for the M Sport tires I decided it just isn't worth it to replace the Pirelli P7s when they wear out. I used our space saver spare from the 128i to determine how much usable space the spare tire is going to take up. The X1 spare has a higher profile sidewall so it will have a slightly wider diameter (keep that in mind with the photos).

With the tire flat on the carpet, I would say usable space is not affected much for normal stuff such as going to the grocery store or Xmas shopping. If the smaller rear shelf is removed, the tire can be strapped to the back of the seat (this is our setup in the 128i). Large items that require the seats to be folded down would require you to remove the spare (which is what we had to do in the 128i prior to the X1).

Add a stroller to the mix and things get a bit more cramped. Stroller in the picture is the MacLaren Techno XT stroller. MacLaren also makes a BMW version of their Qwest stroller. We will be getting the BMW stroller bag for our Techno XT (http://www.shopmaclarenbaby.com/BMW-...efault,pd.html). I prefer the tire flat on the carpet based on my testing.

Trips requiring luggage and a stroller as large as the MacLaren are going to be cramped even without the spare and may require use of the back seat to store some items (I don't think its safe to fold down part of the back seat for items with a baby in the carseat).

I hope these pictures are useful to those considering ditching the runflats and carrying a donut spare (which we have never regretted in our 128i and E90 335i).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

Hi nospam, Thanks for your well detailed comments/report. I have already had all these thoughts trying to work out best way that suits my situation/family when replacing original 17"wheels/rft,s with 18"chrome/radials. RF,s after 1 year still look new at 15,000 km,s. Once I get other wheels/radials will probably put the original in back with wheel well facing up to put stuff in wheel hole. Have thought about standing up but 7.5" wide, maybe not. With my previous XT Forester I just swaped around the bigger chrome wheels/tyres with the originals eg. Servicing-originals. Trip Away- chrome,s, etc. Untill originals were worn out or in my case sold. Probably do same then get S/Saver from BMW, unfortunately not US$ 235 where you are but Aust. DOL$ 700 where I am.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
Roosterman
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia Orange X1 35i

Hey that is my car, Bimmerzone used my car as a mock up. Worked super easy and drove pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
famfmann
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive28i M Sport

nospam, thanks for taking photos of your tests. They'll undoubtedly help many members here--myself included if I ever think I should get the space saver for a long road trip.
Appreciate 0