XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

06-20-2016, 09:57 PM   #23
Santiago B.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, BMW M3 YMB, BMW530xit

wonderful build, unique and tasteful. Congrats!
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #24
DRedman45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 //M coupe

Cool build man, definitely unique
Appreciate 1
      07-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #25
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
It looks like it's coming along nicely! What's next? Light bar?
Appreciate 1
      07-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #26
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Frontier Pro-4X, '06 Z4MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUI Elite View Post
Awesome build so far man
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago B. View Post
wonderful build, unique and tasteful. Congrats!
Appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRedman45 View Post
Cool build man, definitely unique
Thanks! It's kind of fun to go a different route with things

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
It looks like it's coming along nicely! What's next? Light bar?
Light bar is on the list. Before that it looks like I will be prototyping some parts with a rally-oriented company later this month, hopefully. But first and foremost, I need to replace something else...

A lesson has been learned, I will definitely never make this mistake again. I'll update the thread with more details and pics but for now I can say it's no fun when your vehicle becomes un-driveable in the desert in 120 Fahrenheit sun, 160mi away from home, with no cell phone reception. Thank god I had a 200mi tow from AAA and friends with trucks to get me to cell service. Still, I'll never leave for an off-road trip again without bringing a _____________...

| Z4M Build Thread | @violetnites | flickr |
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 04:02 PM   #27
IslandTimes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

Hope you get the car all squared away soon! Let us know about the rally parts, I've been looking into installing driving lights being the grill, so very interested in going in that direction!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #28
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandTimes View Post
Hope you get the car all squared away soon! Let us know about the rally parts, I've been looking into installing driving lights being the grill, so very interested in going in that direction!
One of the targets is retrofitting LED light pods into out fog light spots with the option of either 1,800 or 4,900 lumens per pod with the option of spot, flood, or combo(driving) as well as white & amber colors. That the sort of thing you'd be interested in?

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 11:43 AM   #29
mangoango
Rep
Drives: Wife & kids crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
A lesson has been learned, I will definitely never make this mistake again. I'll update the thread with more details and pics but for now I can say it's no fun when your vehicle becomes un-driveable in the desert in 120 Fahrenheit sun, 160mi away from home, with no cell phone reception. Thank god I had a 200mi tow from AAA and friends with trucks to get me to cell service. Still, I'll never leave for an off-road trip again without bringing a _____________...
Spare tire?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully everything turned out ok.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 08:54 AM   #30
IslandTimes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

Quote:
One of the targets is retrofitting LED light pods into out fog light spots with the option of either 1,800 or 4,900 lumens per pod with the option of spot, flood, or combo(driving) as well as white & amber colors. That the sort of thing you'd be interested in?
Possibly. It would be much cleaner than my plan, but I have the standard reflector headlights and utilize the fogs to compensate for the poor headlight performance. I would be hesitant to lose the additional near-distance lighting from the fogs during regular driving.

Last edited by IslandTimes; 07-15-2016 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2016, 02:49 PM   #31
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:
Thanks!

Appreciate it!

Thanks! It's kind of fun to go a different route with things

Light bar is on the list. Before that it looks like I will be prototyping some parts with a rally-oriented company later this month, hopefully. But first and foremost, I need to replace something else...

What ended up being the issue?

I ordered the lift springs as well and they just came in today. I admit, big inspiration was seeing your build though I dont plan on taking mine offroad as much as you lol.

I just wanted it to sit more like an X3. I find myself hating how much the X1 looks like a nice compact SUV stuck on economy car tires. (The way chevy s10's used to look)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 01:01 PM   #32
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
Hey tiltmode43, how do you like the WeatherTech window deflectors? I've had them on my previous car (non-BMW) and they were very noisy, like the window wouldn't seat in the channel properly. Any issues on the X1? I just picked up a CPO 2013 X1 xdrive28 and am looking to add these and the floor liners soon.

I thought I recognized your username from the Z4 forums. I have a 2003 2.5i in the garage as well as my new (to me) X1.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #33
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What ended up being the issue?

I ordered the lift springs as well and they just came in today. I admit, big inspiration was seeing your build though I dont plan on taking mine offroad as much as you lol.

I just wanted it to sit more like an X3. I find myself hating how much the X1 looks like a nice compact SUV stuck on economy car tires. (The way chevy s10's used to look)
Nice! How did it work out?

Indeed just a flat. I didn't have a full size spare at the time but now have that. Looking to get back in the dirt some time soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharper View Post
Hey tiltmode43, how do you like the WeatherTech window deflectors? I've had them on my previous car (non-BMW) and they were very noisy, like the window wouldn't seat in the channel properly. Any issues on the X1? I just picked up a CPO 2013 X1 xdrive28 and am looking to add these and the floor liners soon.

I thought I recognized your username from the Z4 forums. I have a 2003 2.5i in the garage as well as my new (to me) X1.
The windows seat properly after a bit of use. As far as road noise, my cars usually have exhausts and intakes - in this case I have the tires and intake which increase the volume a bit as well so it makes it hard for me to notice. When I first put them on without the other mods I did have a friend comment they could hear them but it wasn't to the point of really bothering me.

Grats on the CPO X1! There are a few E85/6 Z4 owners that also have E84 X1's

edit:
A couple very low quality pics I found from that fail of a trip:

Last edited by tiltmode43; 12-19-2016 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 02:23 PM   #34
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Purchased a sectional sofa couch from Ikea in September. I think people laughed when they saw me pull up to this massive pallet with the X1. Joke was on them, made it in a single trip!

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 07:00 PM   #35
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

^lol thats really impressive actually hahaha.

I didn't end up installing them yet because I was looking for a good shock to make it a little stiffer too. I think I'll end up putting some Bilstein B6's on.

I did, however, put on some larger tires despite being at stock height. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 235/50/18's in the front and 255/45/18's in the rear.

They're about 4.9% larger than stock, as opposed to your 6.8% larger than stock 225/55/18's. These cars look SO DIFFERENT when they're not on the stock sizing tires.

How does it handle on highways / curvy roads with the lift kit?

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |

Last edited by DUI Elite; 12-19-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #36
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

You'll need one of these next lol. I'm mildly tempted, if it wasn't for the fact I'd need to buy a 5th wheel and tire. I just keep an air compressor in my cars that came with factory run flats.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/product...premium-model/

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 8.58.12 PM.png
Views: 5435
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-12-20 at 8.58.20 PM.png
Views: 5561
Size:  389.0 KB

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 1
      12-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #37
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
^lol thats really impressive actually hahaha.

I didn't end up installing them yet because I was looking for a good shock to make it a little stiffer too. I think I'll end up putting some Bilstein B6's on.

I did, however, put on some larger tires despite being at stock height. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 235/50/18's in the front and 255/45/18's in the rear.

They're about 4.9% larger than stock, as opposed to your 6.8% larger than stock 225/55/18's. These cars look SO DIFFERENT when they're not on the stock sizing tires.

How does it handle on highways / curvy roads with the lift kit?
I need to pick up some camber plates for the front. Not sure if it's just my setup but the shop wasn't content with the front camber they were able to get, it was even a tad positive IIRC. So, be aware of this!

I agree, larger tires look much more proportionally correct on the E84 platform!

The All Terrains don't grip for squat so that's definitely my weak point. Otherwise I'd guess the thicker tires + lift would create a bit of additional roll, especially if the newer tires are on the stickier side.

Quote:
You'll need one of these next lol. I'm mildly tempted, if it wasn't for the fact I'd need to buy a 5th wheel and tire. I just keep an air compressor in my cars that came with factory run flats.

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/product...premium-model/

Attachment 1544916

Attachment 1544917
Honestly, I really considered one. I think one that has the same angle as the rear window would be awesome. These subies below look damn sweet to me. I see the XV Crosstrek as the Japanese step-sister to the X1, but they're able to take slightly larger tires. Ultimately the full sized spare fits perfectly in the rear hatch area. I then use my tie downs and ratchet it into place. Thought I had a pic of this but don't.

Lastly, a couple shots I took after a climb at Cook's Corner in Orange County, CA. It really doesn't look like much but the grade was pretty steep and terrain fairly loose. Ah, looking at these makes me want to take the X1 out again soon, haha.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2016, 07:46 AM   #38
Jasonjames
Rep
Drives: BMW

^ Great job man, it looks so badass!
Appreciate 1
VMRWheels2037.00
      12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #39
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
I need to pick up some camber plates for the front. Not sure if it's just my setup but the shop wasn't content with the front camber they were able to get, it was even a tad positive IIRC. So, be aware of this!

I agree, larger tires look much more proportionally correct on the E84 platform!

The All Terrains don't grip for squat so that's definitely my weak point. Otherwise I'd guess the thicker tires + lift would create a bit of additional roll, especially if the newer tires are on the stickier side.
Definitely noted. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are quite grippy so I may have to look into other stiffening options to avoid too much body roll.

Which camber plates are you adding? I may go with the Turner adjustables otherwise the Dinan's but they're not adjustable.

Quote:
Honestly, I really considered one. I think one that has the same angle as the rear window would be awesome. These subies below look damn sweet to me. I see the XV Crosstrek as the Japanese step-sister to the X1, but they're able to take slightly larger tires. Ultimately the full sized spare fits perfectly in the rear hatch area. I then use my tie downs and ratchet it into place. Thought I had a pic of this but don't.

I think I may end up going this route if it can be angled parallel to the hatch glass. They said they can but I've emailed them to see what they can do for lift options too. They seem willing to build just about anything lol. I'll let you know what they say.

I agree, the Crosstrek XV is definitely the Japanese cousin. I used to own a first gen CR-V and noticed many people nowadays are cutting up the fenderwells a lot to get the lift and tires they want.

Only a matter of time before the X1 is next. The oil cooler in the passenger wheel well is my only concern because the bracket and oil plumbing doesnt move much.

edit - this one looks the best for my intended purposes but its definitely the priciest lol.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/

Last edited by DUI Elite; 12-22-2016 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #40
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely noted. The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are quite grippy so I may have to look into other stiffening options to avoid too much body roll.

Which camber plates are you adding? I may go with the Turner adjustables otherwise the Dinan's but they're not adjustable.

I think I may end up going this route if it can be angled parallel to the hatch glass. They said they can but I've emailed them to see what they can do for lift options too. They seem willing to build just about anything lol. I'll let you know what they say.

I agree, the Crosstrek XV is definitely the Japanese cousin. I used to own a first gen CR-V and noticed many people nowadays are cutting up the fenderwells a lot to get the lift and tires they want.

Only a matter of time before the X1 is next. The oil cooler in the passenger wheel well is my only concern because the bracket and oil plumbing doesnt move much.

edit - this one looks the best for my intended purposes but its definitely the priciest lol.

https://www.wilcooffroad.com/shop/hitchgate/
Haven't decided on camber plates. These A/T tires wear so slow I may not even spend the money on them, others have reported around 40-50k miles IIRC. Uneven wear + flipping tires so the worn side goes from outside to inside to promote even wear should go a long way. Driving dynamics in the twisties aren't what they should be with current alignment specs but that's not my goal with the X1 so it's okay.

Have you heard of Colorado Mountain Rally? They offer some pretty cool tech and info for building older CR-V's and RAV4's for off road. Dare I say it kind of makes me want to pick up a first gen CR-V.

http://www.coloradomountainrally.com/

Hitchgate was one of the first recommended to me by a buddy, they're one of the more known companies to make these I believe. Probably great product but you pay a price to get the name as well. I'll have to do some digging but I had found an option that more or less sat the spare over the hatch glass. A custom built can accomplish it also, probably a bit more precise too. If you were local I'd say we should roll up together to try and get a discount haha.

Dammit man, chatting about this makes me want to spend money on the X1 again, bad influence!!

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #41
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
There are a few E85/6 Z4 owners that also have E84 X1's
Quote:
Purchased a sectional sofa couch from Ikea in September. I think people laughed when they saw me pull up to this massive pallet with the X1. Joke was on them, made it in a single trip!
Quote:
Honestly, I really considered one. I think one that has the same angle as the rear window would be awesome. These subies below look damn sweet to me. I see the XV Crosstrek as the Japanese step-sister to the X1, but they're able to take slightly larger tires Ultimately the full sized spare fits perfectly in the rear hatch area. I then use my tie downs and ratchet it into place. Thought I had a pic of this but don't.
1. E86 (S54) + E84 (N55) make for awesome stablemates! Just wish we had a manual E84/ w/ N55...
2. I had a '11 MCS before the X1. Horrible winter mule IMHO but that is besides the point. I went to Home Depot to pick up a storm door, lumber, and other items for some home projects I had going on at the time. People looked at me like I was nuts. I had a roof rack and basket so it was no problem at all.
3. Yakima used to make a tire holder meant to install in a roof cargo basket. I'm guessing Thule makes something similar or perhaps the Yakima would work in the Thule basket? That might be a cleaner way to go and not obstruct your six.

Nice build, btw....certainly bucks the trend for Bimmers.
      12-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #42
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

Quote:
Haven't decided on camber plates. These A/T tires wear so slow I may not even spend the money on them, others have reported around 40-50k miles IIRC. Uneven wear + flipping tires so the worn side goes from outside to inside to promote even wear should go a long way. Driving dynamics in the twisties aren't what they should be with current alignment specs but that's not my goal with the X1 so it's okay.

Have you heard of Colorado Mountain Rally? They offer some pretty cool tech and info for building older CR-V's and RAV4's for off road. Dare I say it kind of makes me want to pick up a first gen CR-V.

http://www.coloradomountainrally.com/

Hitchgate was one of the first recommended to me by a buddy, they're one of the more known companies to make these I believe. Probably great product but you pay a price to get the name as well. I'll have to do some digging but I had found an option that more or less sat the spare over the hatch glass. A custom built can accomplish it also, probably a bit more precise too. If you were local I'd say we should roll up together to try and get a discount haha.

Dammit man, chatting about this makes me want to spend money on the X1 again, bad influence!!
I have not heard of them but yep, sounds like what I've seen lately too. Actually makes me miss my old CR-V a LOT. The "RealTime 4WD" was pretty useless though.

Yeah I think its a good thing we live far away from each other, we'd definitely be horrible influences on each other.

Im just tossing around ideas though, I'll be doing a Yakima roof rack in the spring. I'll revisit the 5th wheel hitch mount after that.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 02:13 PM   #43
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Hey i just read through this interesting thread. Really awesome journal!
I'm wondering what's the load rating for the roof rails and basket?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 09:43 AM   #44
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep

What did you end up doing about that back portion of the front wheel well that protrudes forward?

I went to add mudguards to mine, and it adds another few mm to it, and now it rubs (while reversing and turning)!

Was going to just trim the mudguard, but might as well trim the rest preventatively if only a few mm added a nice little rubbing. Wonder if the lift will take care of this though..
Appreciate 0