Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-18-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

S20d Defects???

There’s a List of “Defects” or “Annoying Thing’s” from my S20d

- When using the heat (>25ºC), the interior of the car is warm but there’s a cold vent coming from the front grill;
- What’s the use for the inside front headlights? Do they work at all?
- The trunk cover makes noise every time you pass a bump;
- There’s a wind noise coming from the front window (already discuss in the forum);
- The steering wheel and gear lever are to heavy;
- Rough suspension using Flat-Tires and Sport Suspension;
- The right back strip led lights are brighter than the left;
- Not very smooth sound end starting the engine (all car shakes for a bite);
- Instantaneous fuel consumption indicator has a live of it’s on when the engine is on neutral;

His there anyone with the same problems? Are they problems to solve with my dealer or BMW design defects ? Can I fixed or live for ever with them?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
There’s a List of “Defects” or “Annoying Thing’s” from my S20d

- When using the heat (>25ºC), the interior of the car is warm but there’s a cold vent coming from the front grill;
- What’s the use for the inside front headlights? Do they work at all?
- The trunk cover makes noise every time you pass a bump;
- There’s a wind noise coming from the front window (already discuss in the forum);
- The steering wheel and gear lever are to heavy;
- Rough suspension using Flat-Tires and Sport Suspension;
- The right back strip led lights are brighter than the left;
- Not very smooth sound end starting the engine (all car shakes for a bite);
- Instantaneous fuel consumption indicator has a live of it’s on when the engine is on neutral;

His there anyone with the same problems? Are they problems to solve with my dealer or BMW design defects ? Can I fixed or live for ever with them?

Regards
Hi Xeins,
I can honestly say I have none of the problems you mention, How long have you had the X1?
As far as the inside lights are concerned are these not for brights/dims settings?
Maybe you should take your car back to a good dealer and ask them to go through everything on your list.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #3
nathan35
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18d

Have had an S18d for a few months already and most of the problems you cite are absent, but let me give you some remarks:
- steering and gear are a little havy, if you compare to say a panda, but, well, that's why I don't drive one;
- the run-flat tires indeed tend to be stiffer than regular ones, I guess you have either to live with it or change them to normal ones: I personally got used to it;
- the noise and vibrations of the diesel engine, especially at low rpm, is a little too present in the cabin, and the shaking each time the auto start/stop turns it on again can be annoying after some time; you can disable the Auto option.

No problem with the boot, though I find it very annoying that it is difficult to close it properly when the boot is fully charged, and that the board computer informs you that the boot is not closed only after you drive away...
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I have none of these problems, but regarding the heavy steering, if you don´t have the optional servotronic, the steering is very heavy. I noticed that when driving an X1 18d without servotronic. As for the rough suspension, well you chosed Sport Suspension...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
geotah
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Hi Xeins
Let me say a couple of things about.
1)"- When using the heat (>25ºC), the interior of the car is warm but there’s a cold vent coming from the front grill;"
1)Well, this is because of the automatic airconditioning system. From time to time send frsh air into the cabin and the temperature sensors are measuring the temp all the time.
2)"- Instantaneous fuel consumption indicator has a live of it’s on when the engine is on neutral;"
2)The instantaneous rise of the consumption indicator is because of the diesel particulate filter which from time to time consumes a litle fuel to burn the remainder particles of the exhausted gases.

I hope I was helpful!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotah View Post
Hi Xeins
Let me say a couple of things about.
1)"- When using the heat (>25ºC), the interior of the car is warm but there’s a cold vent coming from the front grill;"
1)Well, this is because of the automatic airconditioning system. From time to time send frsh air into the cabin and the temperature sensors are measuring the temp all the time.
2)"- Instantaneous fuel consumption indicator has a live of it’s on when the engine is on neutral;"
2)The instantaneous rise of the consumption indicator is because of the diesel particulate filter which from time to time consumes a litle fuel to burn the remainder particles of the exhausted gases.

I hope I was helpful!
You here!

The sport suspension is great on good surface, but very different (for worst) when driving on irregular tarmac. Can I change my Run-Flat tires to normal ones? Does it get better???

The interior is well built but the lower plastics are not so great. So when you strike a bump you feel it grunge.

Regarding the lights I’m speaking about the front lights of the car, there are two lamps for each headlights, the medium and maximum light are all in the same lamp, the other lamp, does it work’s or it’s just to maintain that 4 eyes BMW front image ???
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 09:43 AM   #7
nathan35
Private
Rep

You can certainly drive the car on normal tires. Now I'm not sure if you can mount them on the original rims, because those have a special construction for run-flats. And if you use other rims, you have to make sure that you have ones with a pressure sensor that connects with the car's system.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
geotah
Greece
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20d

Please forgive my remark : there is no pressure sensor into the rims!
Our car detects the pressure drop from the different spinning speed of the wheel (because of a smaller radius due to pressure lost)
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
nathan35
Private
Rep

Quote:
Our car detects the pressure drop from the different spinning speed of the wheel (because of a smaller radius due to pressure lost)
Oh, that's very interesting! Then I must've been misinformed by my dealer. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
So i can change to normal Tyres???
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

Yes you can. I did it with my winter tyres. Not original BMW rims and not RFT tyres = no problems at all. I thought the car would warn me, but no...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
Yes you can. I did it with my winter tyres. Not original BMW rims and not RFT tyres = no problems at all. I thought the car would warn me, but no...
You change your RFT tyres to normal ones and did not have any trouble with the tyre pressure sensor? Did the driving feeling change a lot? When driving in crispy surface as those we find on some village roads or around historic places? Did you notice less vibration on the steering? What was the size and brand of your Non RFT tyres? My tyre size is 18”.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
You change your RFT tyres to normal ones and did not have any trouble with the tyre pressure sensor? Did the driving feeling change a lot? When driving in crispy surface as those we find on some village roads or around historic places? Did you notice less vibration on the steering? What was the size and brand of your Non RFT tyres? My tyre size is 18”.
No problems with the pressure sensor. During the winter in Sweden, most of us use tires just for the Scandinavian market, and that is with pikes... My choice is Nokian Hakkapelitta 7, test winner in all Scandinavian tests. The handling of the car in the winter (200 mm of snow) is just perfect. The tires are a bit noisy, but it´s worth it. Of dourse the driving feeling change, it is pikes on these tires... But on snowy roads the grip is outstanding. The size of the tires is 225/50 17". I feel no vibrations at all.

Last edited by tompak23d; 11-20-2010 at 04:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #14
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

The car went last week to the dealer. They fixed the windscreen, but the whispiring noise coming from the front remains!!! What can i do???
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
pwceg
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Regarding the windscreen the noise is probably coming from the drivers window trim. I had the wind noise and they replaced the window door seal that fitted around the interior trim on the door .That fixed it. Its a great car
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #16
nicholls
Rep
Drives: bmw x1

i have the same car only covered 1k but love it the ride is firm i like it like that i think the sports spring set up is a mistake with runflats.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholls View Post
i have the same car only covered 1k but love it the ride is firm i like it like that i think the sports spring set up is a mistake with runflats.
Do you have the sport suspension with ROF tyres. Have you ride a sport suspension with normal tyres? What this it feels with this set up?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 03:06 PM   #18
niknik
Private First Class
Portugal
Rep
Drives: X1 23d

I have the sport suspension with 18" run flats, and I still think the car is soft (particularly at high speeds
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #19
ognam
Enlisted Member
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sdrive20

Regarding to cold vent air coming from front grill. All my cars works in the same way, most heated air comes from down grills and a mix of cold-heated air from front ones. I think it is a safety question to avoid sleeping when you are driving.

I agree with the convination of RF+Sport suspension it is not the idoneus..it's a pain in my back in long jurneys, not necessary bad roads even in highways at high speeds i can feel all the slopes and pot holes.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2010, 03:47 AM   #20
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Hi!
Good news!!!
Went back to the dealer to solve the problem of noise from the windshield. After two interventions was resolved. What a difference!
I also had a water inlet for ceiling grids, also resolved by replacing the seals.
The situation of cold air coming from the front is normal and two of the four front xenon headlights are not usable.
Regarding the tires, and I have already decided on the next replacement to change for NOT ROF probably from Hankok brand.
I noticed however that one of the taillights LED's have less light. Have you noticed?

Merry Christmas!
Appreciate 0