XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-16-2015, 05:26 PM   #1
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i

C&D Reviews New X1 (2016)

First US review I think. It is a first drive not a full review.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"The X1 copes well with the double whammy of the higher center of gravity and front-wheel-drive-based chassis. But it doesn't surpass the admittedly high level of handling in the Audi Q3 or the Volkswagen Tiguan, and on the whole, we wish the X1 were a bit more involving. We miss the willingness of its predecessor when you would toss it into and through corners.

On the other hand, the X1 performs surprisingly well off-road. It'll go up inclines you wouldn't dream about tackling with a car of this type, and it should have no trouble reaching a cabin at the end of a muddy trail or dealing with a tough winter.

It's certainly not a magical elixir for what ails BMW, but among its competitive set, the X1 is one of the more appealing choices. And for BMW aficionados with everyday needs for space and comfort, it may be an improvement over the outgoing model."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Pretty sad when a VW suv outhandles its BMW counterpart.
Appreciate 1
      07-16-2015, 06:35 PM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3 View Post
This is certainly a new trend for BMW. Their chassis department is lost. Of perhaps I should say, the corporate focus has shifted. No longer aiming at being the best driving cars out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

It is a huge mistake for them. Vehicle's aren't aspirational because they are a good value, comfortable, or luxurious. Nobody of the current generation that is buying a BMW lusted after a Lexus. Vehicles are aspirational because they are cool, fast, sexy, and drool-worth. Young professionals that are old enough to buy a BMW want them because they are marketed as the ultimate driving machine - there is a bit of a cachet that goes with them that says, "I'm not a 70 year old grandpa in a lexus - I am young and value performance." There is a reason BMW polls better with the younger crowd than lexus and Cadillac do, and that is their entire corporate identity.

That is now lost. There is really nothing drool-worth about most new BMWs. Brands like Mercedes and Cadillac are subtly shifting towards more driver oriented cars, and I believe that will pay off in the future and leave BMW holding the bag. BMW doesn't understand that these decisions have a lag time on them - they are still selling well based off of their reputation. Even your average "joe dad" knows that BMW is always on the car and driver best car list.

But another 10 years of losing reviews to the competition will take a toll. New customers who would be buying BMWs in 5-10 years will grow used to seeing Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi winning comparisons based on driving dynamics and lust factor. They will grow up wanting those cars, not BMWs.

BMW - the Cadillac of the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #5
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Especially when you consider the Tiguan was first produced in 2007. Ironic, since BMW used the aging E90 3-series platform to underpin the first X1, which most universally agreed out-handled its competition at the time.
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:40 AM   #6
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
It is a huge mistake for them. Vehicle's aren't aspirational because they are a good value, comfortable, or luxurious. Nobody of the current generation that is buying a BMW lusted after a Lexus. Vehicles are aspirational because they are cool, fast, sexy, and drool-worth. Young professionals that are old enough to buy a BMW want them because they are marketed as the ultimate driving machine - there is a bit of a cachet that goes with them that says, "I'm not a 70 year old grandpa in a lexus - I am young and value performance." There is a reason BMW polls better with the younger crowd than lexus and Cadillac do, and that is their entire corporate identity.

That is now lost. There is really nothing drool-worth about most new BMWs. Brands like Mercedes and Cadillac are subtly shifting towards more driver oriented cars, and I believe that will pay off in the future and leave BMW holding the bag. BMW doesn't understand that these decisions have a lag time on them - they are still selling well based off of their reputation. Even your average "joe dad" knows that BMW is always on the car and driver best car list.

But another 10 years of losing reviews to the competition will take a toll. New customers who would be buying BMWs in 5-10 years will grow used to seeing Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi winning comparisons based on driving dynamics and lust factor. They will grow up wanting those cars, not BMWs.

Give me a break on the Cadillac talk, they can't give away their cars. Do yourself a favor and research, ATS sales down about 18% ytd and the "new" CTS down over 40% ytd. Your theory unfortunately is DOA. What Cadillac sells is an aircraft carrier sized Escalade that handles like a 1970 Buick and a 7 year Old SRX that is extremely outdated. You are entitled to your opinion but if what you say is true they would be selling the shit out their cars and not selling their SUV's.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Give me a break on the Cadillac talk, they can't give away their cars. Do yourself a favor and research, ATS sales down about 18% ytd and the "new" CTS down over 40% ytd. Your theory unfortunately is DOA. What Cadillac sells is an aircraft carrier sized Escalade that handles like a 1970 Buick and a 7 year Old SRX that is extremely outdated. You are entitled to your opinion but if what you say is true they would be selling the shit out their cars and not selling their SUV's.
Driving dynamics and desirability alone do not drive sales; Cadillac does not sell due to other factors like an interior that is still not up to par with competitors and a horrible CUE system.

But they win every comparo, and everyone I know in my age group (late 20's young professionals) would rather drive an ATS-V or CTS-V than anything BMW makes. There really isn't a single new car in BMW's lineup that interests me or most of my friends, other than possibly the M2. Cadillac is beginning to succeed in turning around their brand perception due to a focus on aggressively marketing their performance characteristics. Do some research yourself and google their brand turnaround.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Dmitry83
Second Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: F30 320i (328i ECU) M-Sport

Quote:
Driving dynamics and desirability alone do not drive sales; Cadillac does not sell due to other factors like an interior that is still not up to par with competitors and a horrible CUE system.

But they win every comparo, and everyone I know in my age group (late 20's young professionals) would rather drive an ATS-V or CTS-V than anything BMW makes. There really isn't a single new car in BMW's lineup that interests me or most of my friends, other than possibly the M2. Cadillac is beginning to succeed in turning around their brand perception due to a focus on aggressively marketing their performance characteristics. Do some research yourself and google their brand turnaround.
I agree unfortunatelly.
All the new F-series I tried are great looking sloppy-chassis luxury cars, which hardly raise any emotions when you are changing the looking experience to driving. Electric steering had finally smashed the F30 steering feel and feedback into Toyota Camry category.
What would I buy instead of my E84...? I don't know. Really. Maybe M2 when it is 3 years old and not that crazy-priced anymore. But let's wait and try it- is the M-division still alive at least...?
F80 bottom reinforcement plate
Koni Sport, M-Performance springs, M135i Anti-roll bars
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep

The sales of the ATS-V and CTS-V will be microscopic in comparison to the standard ATS and CTS which themselves are horrible. You may be a car enthusiast but that in way translates to the overall sales of the brand. Why are the sales of the 3 and 4 series so strong compared to Cadillac, it's because 95% of the market really doesn't care about being the so called best handling vehicle. GM would not be in business right now if it were not for their trucks. When I checked a few weeks ago every single car GM makes was down except the Corvette was up slightly, I mean "every" single car and most were down 10-20%.

I can't remember the last time I saw an ATS and they have 900 dealerships vs 350 BMW dealerships. GM's car business is horrible, the market is an SUV market now and sedans are declining. What once was GM business has gone to the Koreans, Toyota, Honda and other. If handling dynamics were so critical in SUV's then a slow ass Honda CRV and bad handling Toyota RAV4 wouldn't sell like they do.
What surprises me is Cadillac is launching another big sedan when the two they have are not selling. When they launched the ATS they just took sales away from the CTS and they are just going to cut their pie smaller with the new sedan unless they make a hearse version for funerals.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 04:00 PM   #10
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The one BMW I've owned that I truly enjoyed was a Z3 M Coupe. They sold about as many in four years as Toyota sells Camrys every hour. Sales volume does not make a car good. The F3x outsells the E9x handily, but is horrible to drive in comparison.

If I needed a sedan today, it would be an ATS 2.0T with a manual and an LSD, all at a discount to (a relatively arbitrary) MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
The sales of the ATS-V and CTS-V will be microscopic in comparison to the standard ATS and CTS which themselves are horrible. You may be a car enthusiast but that in way translates to the overall sales of the brand. Why are the sales of the 3 and 4 series so strong compared to Cadillac, it's because 95% of the market really doesn't care about being the so called best handling vehicle. GM would not be in business right now if it were not for their trucks. When I checked a few weeks ago every single car GM makes was down except the Corvette was up slightly, I mean "every" single car and most were down 10-20%.

I can't remember the last time I saw an ATS and they have 900 dealerships vs 350 BMW dealerships. GM's car business is horrible, the market is an SUV market now and sedans are declining. What once was GM business has gone to the Koreans, Toyota, Honda and other. If handling dynamics were so critical in SUV's then a slow ass Honda CRV and bad handling Toyota RAV4 wouldn't sell like they do.
What surprises me is Cadillac is launching another big sedan when the two they have are not selling. When they launched the ATS they just took sales away from the CTS and they are just going to cut their pie smaller with the new sedan unless they make a hearse version for funerals.
You would have a point if BMW didn't become the best selling luxury brand despite being the best performing and least luxurious of the big three. Except, they did. Which means you don't.

3 series sales are strong compared to Cadillac because the 3 series has an absolutely singular reputation for over a decade as the best luxury sedan. Many people won't even cross shop or look at any other car because the BMW is "the best" as annointed by all the car mags, their buddy at the watercooler, their "car enthusiast friend," etc.

That is no longer the case. If it continues to no longer be the case, in a decade, BMW will not outsell those other brands. We are not talking about stripped down sports cars - all of these companies have luxurious interiors. It's just that the BMW is no longer fun to drive in comparison to the others. That will eventually hurt sales, period.

Looking at it another way, Mercedes, Cadillac, and Audi are all drastically shifting towards more driver focused cars. Either you are right and all of them are wrong, or you are wrong and they are right. I think it is pretty obvious to everyone which is the case.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:40 PM   #12
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Better looking inside and out, more space in the trunk and the back seat. Rear vents. Navigation is standard. Looks like improved seats. Great engine and according to Car and Driver better off road. Probably will sell a lot more these in the US than the previous X1.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 10:45 PM   #13
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

And yet you own a BMW model that is being produced this year. I don't think your version did all that well in comparisons in auto magazines. Why did you buy it?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #14
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
And yet you own a BMW model that is being produced this year. I don't think your version did all that well in comparisons in auto magazines. Why did you buy it?
I don't. The X1 35i Msport was discontinued, you can't buy it anymore. I bought it because it was the best driver's car in the segment, and because it was the last BMW made with hydraulic steering and the chassis of the e9x. Period. A look at my build thread should be all you need to answer that question.

The auto magazines loved the handling and power of the car. From car and driver:

Quote:
When traffic broke, we found the 35i motored through the white stuff without drama. Traction in a straight line or around corners was plentiful, despite the X1’s sporty 18-inch Pirelli all-season run-flat tires. Stability control can be completely disabled to allow easy drifts (if that’s your thing), thanks to the xDrive setup’s rearward torque bias, although the system’s brain was quick to shuffle torque to the front axle when needed. Under all conditions, BMW’s once familiar, firm yet compliant ride-and-handling balance impressed. This 35i was agile but rode better than our long-term X1 xDrive28i M Sport tester, thanks to smaller wheels, higher-aspect-ratio tires, and non-sport suspension. A snowy skidpad prevented us from recording a grip figure for the X1, but we recorded 0.82 g in a roughly 100-pound-lighter, non–M Sport xDrive28i with similar tires. The 35i’s firm brake pedal was linear and easy to modulate—a boon on the slick roads we encountered—and the stoppers returned a solid 163-foot halt from 70 mph.

Beyond its irreproachable dynamics, the 35i most delights in its feel. The doors make a wonderful thunk when closed, the body feels as solid as granite, the big six up front has a hearty sound, and lacking iDrive distraction, its drivers are tasked solely with driving. Sure, the similarly sized 3-series wagon offers nearly as much driving satisfaction, but it’s new-school BMW, and you can’t get it here with an inline-six.

Connoisseurs should buy the 128i—the last BMW to offer the naturally aspirated inline-six—if any are left on dealer lots now that it has been replaced by the turbo-four-powered 228i. But if you absolutely need a usable back seat (even if the X1’s is slightly tight) or an additional set of doors, the X1 xDrive35i is the second-most BMW-like BMW you can buy today. Act now, before it, too, is “enhanced” by modernity.
It's very simple, and those who disagree just don't get it. What makes a BMW a BMW? What do phrases like "drives like a BMW" and "typical BMW feel" mean? The entire DNA of the brand is driving feel and performance. Take that away, and there is nothing left that competitors don't do better.

If you don't care about driving feel or performance, why the heck would you buy a BMW when Lexus does comfort better, Mercedes does prestige better, Audi does interiors and AWD better?

Business history is full of dead brands that abandoned their DNA in pursuit of something else. Hopefully BMW doesn't do the same.

Last edited by paradoxical3; 07-17-2015 at 11:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 05:13 PM   #15
matjen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Business history is full of dead brands that abandoned their DNA in pursuit of something else. Hopefully BMW doesn't do the same.
Well here is some good news.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...t-drive-review

"The 340i is no M3, but it does offer one of the best high-performance experiences in the segment. If the heart of a driving enthusiast beats within your chest, there are few better ways to indulge yourself than this remarkably subtle but capable driving machine."

Remember, BMW has just had a few years of sorting things out and softening. Even during that period there have been plenty of great drivers cars in their lineup.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 08:14 PM   #16
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't. The X1 35i Msport was discontinued, you can't buy it anymore. I bought it because it was the best driver's car in the segment, and because it was the last BMW made with hydraulic steering and the chassis of the e9x. Period. A look at my build thread should be all you need to answer that question.

The auto magazines loved the handling and power of the car. From car and driver:

It's very simple, and those who disagree just don't get it. What makes a BMW a BMW? What do phrases like "drives like a BMW" and "typical BMW feel" mean? The entire DNA of the brand is driving feel and performance. Take that away, and there is nothing left that competitors don't do better.

If you don't care about driving feel or performance, why the heck would you buy a BMW when Lexus does comfort better, Mercedes does prestige better, Audi does interiors and AWD better?

You can still buy a X1 35i. Dealers still have them. They sold terribly. They don't even offer the 35 in Germany where you could actually use the power it provides. The outgoing X1 did not sell well in the US. My complaints about the vehicle are lack of rear seat room, lack of trunk space, and terrible seats. They seem to taken care of those problems. The X1 I have would handle better if lower and there is no real reason for it to be raised as you can't go off road in it.

I have no idea how the new X1 drives and either do you. There are tons of bad reviews of your car. If you choose to ignore they exist than I don't know what I can do for you.

But BMW exists to make money. The current versions can't compete well. Almost every X1 I see on the road is driven by a 70 year old lady. While they may appreciate the good handling I severely doubt it.

Why did I buy a BMW? Well they are fun to drive. Also my family is from Bavaria so the pride of the Bavarian company. I do think they are overpriced. Seems like they have super low leases and people who actually buy them are paying more than they should. If I had to do it over I would have gotten the 3 series wagon. The X11 has turned out to be entirely impractical. It is fine if you never have more than one passenger. But with a baby on board it becomes totally annoying. Not being able to sit in the passenger seat. Not being able to get groceries in the trunk because I have a stroller.

It seems the new vehicle will be more usable vehicle. It will probably sell a lot more. There are other choices for you in the BMW lineup. The new X1 will still have a great engine and transmission. Probably what I like most about my X1
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #17
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic View Post
Why did I buy a BMW? Well they are fun to drive.
Nothing else you wrote really matters, because this is why you bought a BMW. Whatever your complaints are with this particular X1, the bottom line is that you were looking for a car that was fun to drive.

Perhaps you have not driven many new BMWs besides your X1 - I have. In fact, I have driven a new 3 series for about four months. It is one of the most boring cars I have ever driven.

Fact - the new X1 will not be more fun to drive than its competitors.
Fact - the new 3 series is not more fun to drive than its competitors.
Fact - there is little point to buying a BMW if it is not more fun than its competitors, because its competitors are more practical, more luxurious, and more comfortable.

You seem to think I am arguing for a car that is fun to drive at the exclusion of all of the things that make the new X1 a more practical and comfortable car. I am not.

What I am saying is that I wish BMW took all of the improvements to the new car (looks, interior, tech, etc) yet kept the same sporting DNA as the first. That would be a true home run, but instead BMW ships out neutered 4 bangers that handle worse than a 7 year old VW Tiguan. No thanks, enjoy your comfortable and boring point a to point b appliance. I will be enjoying my BMW .

This sums up BMWs change of heart perfectly:
Attached Images

Last edited by paradoxical3; 07-18-2015 at 11:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 10:21 PM   #18
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Check this out

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep

M235 Car and Driver top 10 and Motor Trend top 10.
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2015, 01:30 PM   #20
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nothing else you wrote really matters, because this is why you bought a BMW. Whatever your complaints are with this particular X1, the bottom line is that you were looking for a car that was fun to drive.

Perhaps you have not driven many new BMWs besides your X1 - I have. In fact, I have driven a new 3 series for about four months. It is one of the most boring cars I have ever driven.

Fact - the new X1 will not be more fun to drive than its competitors.
Fact - the new 3 series is not more fun to drive than its competitors.
Fact - there is little point to buying a BMW if it is not more fun than its competitors, because its competitors are more practical, more luxurious, and more comfortable.

You seem to think I am arguing for a car that is fun to drive at the exclusion of all of the things that make the new X1 a more practical and comfortable car. I am not.

What I am saying is that I wish BMW took all of the improvements to the new car (looks, interior, tech, etc) yet kept the same sporting DNA as the first. That would be a true home run, but instead BMW ships out neutered 4 bangers that handle worse than a 7 year old VW Tiguan. No thanks, enjoy your comfortable and boring point a to point b appliance. I will be enjoying my BMW .

This sums up BMWs change of heart perfectly:
What you quote are your opinions not any facts about the X1, 3 series or competitors. Do you know the difference between "facts" and "your opinions". If you had any clue I would respect your opinion but the neutered N20 smoked every Caddy ATS 2.0 by a big margin in the 3 series and the X1 smokes the base Q3 and new Mercedes GLA base engines so I'm a little confused about what facts you are possibly talking about. The N20 is probably the best 2.0 on the market in 240 hp trim compared with anything it competes against in the market. Name one just one 2.0 that outperforms it, not talking about an AMG high cost version but Ford, Audi, Mercedes, GM, Fiat, Jag/Range Rover (Ford engine) so who?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #21
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What you quote are your opinions not any facts about the X1, 3 series or competitors. Do you know the difference between "facts" and "your opinions". If you had any clue I would respect your opinion but the neutered N20 smoked every Caddy ATS 2.0 by a big margin in the 3 series and the X1 smokes the base Q3 and new Mercedes GLA base engines so I'm a little confused about what facts you are possibly talking about. The N20 is probably the best 2.0 on the market in 240 hp trim compared with anything it competes against in the market. Name one just one 2.0 that outperforms it, not talking about an AMG high cost version but Ford, Audi, Mercedes, GM, Fiat, Jag/Range Rover (Ford engine) so who?
The new X1 is not getting the 2.0 in 240hp trim, and the opinions I am quoting are not mine, but rather those of Car and Driver - their opinions have a huge weight to the general public. The new X1 is:

1. Less powerful than the old one in every single trim
2. Takes away hydraulic steering and replaces it with the electric rack that is getting panned
3. Replaces a RWD biased drivetrain with a FWD biased one
4. Grows in ride height
5. Moves from the award winning e9x chassis to a new tranverse drivetrain FWD based chassis.

Are you really trying to argue that it even has a chance of driving in an equivalently fun manner to the previous X1?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #22
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep

0-60 is still 6.3 seconds, do some actual research instead of BS.

Dude, do yourself a favor and Google "what's wrong with Cadillac or Cadillac ATS/CTS "and you will see you are in a ultra small minority of opinion. Cadillac is so fucked up they can stick a fork in them. Oh and all X1 drivers are 70 year old women, I see X1's every day and the vast majority are driven by people in their 20's and 30's and a mix of men/women. I have never ever seen someone in their 70's driving an X1.
Yes and if you took the best interior of blah , and best engine of blah, and best ride of blah etc etc, that's the whole point, BMW does them all well and that's why they win. Maybe not the best in any category but the best overall yet I would argue they are the best in engines based on international awards. The Cadillac 3.6 NA is pitiful, pretty much universal disdain in all magazines and their 2.0 although it has higher rated hp gets its ass kicked by BMW in all reviews I have ever read. Hell, the N20 in a 228 with auto smokes the new Mustang with a 2.3 310 hp ( look it up). Several car magazines got 5.2 0-60 in a 228 auto so you are blowing smoke up your ass about the BMW 2.0 not being great. I'm sure I'll get banned for a while but when people post that are clueless they deserve to have reality shoved back in their face.
Appreciate 0