Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #23
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
You couldn't give away a S-drive 28i here. Good looking car, and in your location, the S-drive may be an advantage.
Why? Do people think Xdrive is only way to get through snow?

I think snow tires for winter on a s28i will work fine.

People down here put up with snow, no xdrive, and only long wearing low traction all season tires.

There might be more slick days in Amarillo TEXAS than near the Washington, or Oregon coast.

For example, Kennewick Washington next to where you live gets average 9.8 inches of snowfall/ year while Amarillo area gets 17.8 inches snowfall/year.

I've heard of like 20 or 30 slick days, and never hear of people having snow tire preparation.

I flee the snow to another country during winter, and keep summer tires on my cars. I drove my s28i with summer pirelli P7's during a snow storm at 30 deg just before I put it away. Road was slushy, and had no looseness; or course next morning would be bitch for any car.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 05-10-2017 at 11:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #24
MrMcKulit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
That seems like a really good deal! Looks very similar to mine, but yours has the Fender audio upgrade and maybe real leather? Jealous! At least mine has fewer miles.

I guess the X1 isn't that popular, otherwise it'd be commanding higher prices? The m-sport alone was a $3000 add-on to the $32,000 MSRP...
It came with Harman Kardon speakers, sport leather seats, M sport steering wheel and HID lights and nothing else. No tech package. My wife would have liked the rear backup camera at the very least but alas it didn't come with it. Perhaps a project in my near future is to put a screen with Bluetooth and audio streaming built in plus the rear camera.

Last edited by MrMcKulit; 05-11-2017 at 07:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #25
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcKulit View Post
It came with Harman Kardon speakers, sport leather seats, M sport steering wheel and HID lights and nothing else. No tech package.
Those would be my preferred options, if I were to choose. These items exactly, and stop there. :-)

As it is, the "professional" radio is OK, and is somewhat upgrade-able, so I can do something about that if I want to. The lights - I have resigned myself to the fact that I have the lame lights, but maybe I can install different bulbs. Not ready to do a hacked-up retrofit.

Quote:
My wife would have liked the rear backup camera at the very least but alas it didn't come with it. Perhaps a project in my near future is to put a screen with Bluetooth and audio streaming built in plus the rear camera.
Yeah, a rear backup camera would be really handy, but that falls under things I can live without.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
neverdone
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5, 335, Ford Lightning, 63 me

mine has HK audio, MSPORT, lighting and tech but no backup camera, only PDC. kinda wierd I thought.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #27
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

If an sDrive was available, I'd get that over an xDrive. Just pair it with winter tires. Less complexity and superior driving dynamics. That said, our xDrive is rear biased so it's not as bad as the typical AWD cars.

We've test driven a number of X1 variants and I can tell you BMW punishes those who cheaps out on packages. MB and Audi are not as cruel.
For used X1 (or any BMWs), base or models are likely loaners or fleet rentals.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #28
Vidgamer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 e84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
If an sDrive was available, I'd get that over an xDrive. Just pair it with winter tires. Less complexity and superior driving dynamics. That said, our xDrive is rear biased so it's not as bad as the typical AWD cars.
No doubt that xDrive might make sense for snow, but there seem to be a lot of things to be concerned about with xDrive. Happy to have sDrive.

Quote:
We've test driven a number of X1 variants and I can tell you BMW punishes those who cheaps out on packages.
They aren't the only one. Even Chevy & Ford can have huge differences between the base model and higher-end. I was kind of spoiled with Acura -- comes with HID, Leather, sunroof, etc., standard.

The difference, of course, is that you pay the flat price for the Acura, while the BMW with various packages starts to add up to big money. Some of the cars, not just BMW, but Audi, etc., seemed like you could easily pay over $10k to get all of the goodies. Then you're in another price bracket completely.

Quote:
MB and Audi are not as cruel.
For used X1 (or any BMWs), base or models are likely loaners or fleet rentals.
I don't know. I did look at a couple of MBs and was underwhelmed. Perhaps it's just at the lower-end? Seems like you still had to pay a lot extra to get into packages. But if the base comes with HID and Leather, that's still something. (checking..) I think the CLA doesn't come with Leather standard. Not sure about HID. I'm sure if you bought a higher-end model, a lot more would be standard.

As for Audi, I think it was more like Acura -- more seemed to be standard. Still, I found the X1 more appealing than the used Audi A3s I saw; they didn't have a lot of options in the Audis either, I suppose, and they might not have many used Quattros, which you needed to get to get a faster engine. (The base A3 wasn't bad, it just felt a bit pokey compared to the Quattro. The X1 has more power than that.)

But, yeah, I think mine was a "fleet rental". Seemed to be in good condition, low miles, but basic package. The iPhone cable was still in the glovebox, unused.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #29
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
Why? Do people think Xdrive is only way to get through snow?

I think snow tires for winter on a s28i will work fine.

People down here put up with snow, no xdrive, and only long wearing low traction all season tires.

There might be more slick days in Amarillo TEXAS than near the Washington, or Oregon coast.

For example, Kennewick Washington next to where you live gets average 9.8 inches of snowfall/ year while Amarillo area gets 17.8 inches snowfall/year.

I've heard of like 20 or 30 slick days, and never hear of people having snow tire preparation.

I flee the snow to another country during winter, and keep summer tires on my cars. I drove my s28i with summer pirelli P7's during a snow storm at 30 deg just before I put it away. Road was slushy, and had no looseness; or course next morning would be bitch for any car.

Of course not. I grew up in the mountains of Idaho, when there was nothing but RWD, but the area I live in now is usually quite arid. When we do get bad roads, the typical driver in my area is almost paralyzed if they don't have AWD. It's just a local weirdness. I've never seen a 2WD X type in my area, despite the little need of one. OTOH, we often have to go over passes in the winter to watch the Seahawks, and there's lots of snow there.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #30
jinda
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive35i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazil769 View Post
Guys,
i offered 23k they couter offered at 27k, i then counter offered at 24k and now they are saying absolute lowest at $26500.00. I stood my ground at 24k and ask for an update if they reconsider.
That's x28i right? I'm sure you can get something lower than that.
I got mine although its a 2013, its an x35i with:
  • M Sport Package
  • Ultimate Package
  • Heated Seats
  • Light Package
  • 2 months left on manufacturer's warrany
  • 100k Miles or 3 yrs Extended Platinum Warranty (up to April 29, 2020)
  • 30k mileage

All for $21k local dealer here in NJ.
Some dealers actually have more cars in the inventory than what is posted in their website. Some of them are not able to update their site everyday.
      05-15-2017, 01:52 PM   #31
bazil769
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128I Convertible 02/09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinda View Post
  • M Sport Package
  • Ultimate Package
  • Heated Seats
  • Light Package
  • 30k mileage

Some dealers actually have more cars in the inventory than what is posted in their website. Some of them are not able to update their site everyday.
What about this one? http://www.bmwofbridgewater.com/cert...8fa3fea029.htm

I am going to make an offer on it, fewer miles than the other one with ultimate, msport and lighting package.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:03 PM   #32
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
  • M Sport Package
  • Ultimate Package
  • Heated Seats
  • Light Package
  • 30k mileage

Sad to see these depreciate so hard. Compare that $21k to what it costs to get into a '13 CPO 335 xdrive of similar mileage (which the N55 X1 is).

Looks like we'll be keeping ours for as long as it lasts now.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

+1 on "35i" package and ultimate package being the keys. HK definitely a nice to have.

i'm not as clear on m sport or sport line being "must haves". The base seats are fine in the X1
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #34
jinda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Sad to see these depreciate so hard. Compare that $21k to what it costs to get into a '13 CPO 335 xdrive of similar mileage (which the N55 X1 is).

Looks like we'll be keeping ours for as long as it lasts now.
That is actually one thing I thought when I bought it. Is it good that I got this for cheap? Yes it surely is but it also tells me how bad the depreciation is.

And that's another thing I was wondering about. Even some similar year 328xi's sells higher than this.

Anyway, I plan to keep this as long as I could hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
+1 on "35i" package and ultimate package being the keys. HK definitely a nice to have.

i'm not as clear on m sport or sport line being "must haves". The base seats are fine in the X1
Sport or MSport depends on what buyers prefer I think. Some may not like the stiffer suspension on those sport line. I think the Light package for Xenon is a must too. The difference between Xenon and Halogen is just big.

Quote:

I am going to make an offer on it, fewer miles than the other one with ultimate, msport and lighting package.
That's a 2015 with nice options and low mileage. Definitely try to negotiate the price. Not sure about giving an offer though. I usually try to make the dealer give me a price and squeeze them on how low they can get before I offer something lower than their lowest price lol.

I guess that's why I got mine at that price. I guess I just learned my lesson in the past pricing my offer by not trying hard enough and realizing the dealer could have accepted a lower offer than what I gave them.

Last edited by jinda; 05-16-2017 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #35
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
Of course not. I grew up in the mountains of Idaho, when there was nothing but RWD, but the area I live in now is usually quite arid. When we do get bad roads, the typical driver in my area is almost paralyzed if they don't have AWD. It's just a local weirdness. I've never seen a 2WD X type in my area, despite the little need of one. OTOH, we often have to go over passes in the winter to watch the Seahawks, and there's lots of snow there.
Yeah, I'm not haten, but people want what they want, and they perceive they need more stuff like AWD.

I'm just a less is more guy, and s28i takes off weight and complexity of the AWD which has had bearing problems. Sun roof is maybe a worse thing to not have since blows up on it's own.

I buy tires best in rain on the days I get caught out even though only 10 inches a year. Someone reading reviews and being picky could get their 2wd on winters and go anywhere instead of those crummy Noseason tires on AWD.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #36
jinda
Private
Rep

Quote:

Not sure how far you are from this but it just showed up on my email. Maybe you find it interesting:

2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i - $19,941
      05-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #37
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
That's a 2015 with nice options and low mileage. Definitely try to negotiate the price. Not sure about giving an offer though. I usually try to make the dealer give me a price and squeeze them on how low they can get before I offer something lower than their lowest price lol.
the literature suggests that offering first lets you anchor low, which will get you better outcomes.

anyway, did you get a 35i? congrats?

for what it is worth, our 35i doesn't have the sport package and the suspension feels fine for everyday usage. it's a 39xx lb car, so its a family hauler type of car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #38
jinda
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
the literature suggests that offering first lets you anchor low, which will get you better outcomes.

anyway, did you get a 35i? congrats?

for what it is worth, our 35i doesn't have the sport package and the suspension feels fine for everyday usage. it's a 39xx lb car, so its a family hauler type of car anyway.
Yeah its a 35i. I test drove some non-sports before I got this and the suspension feel has a huge difference. The regular suspension doesn't have the harshness and the thugging sound when you hit a bump. Its definitely a more relax ride.

My wife hates the sport suspension lol. But my 2 yrs old prefers it. He usually can't handle the smooth swaying feel on my wife's car and he usually will end up throwing up
      05-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Congrats!
Appreciate 0