XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

02-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Alfons
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Thumbs down Help

Hello Bmians, I live in Barbados (Caribbean) and recently bought a BMW X1 (Brand New). I am interested in retrofitting the following:
1. Front sensors.
2. DVD/Navigation system and Reverse Camera; or
3. LCD Display in central storage compartment and Reverse Camera; and
4. Wind deflectors (front and back).

Can some one tell me the parts with possible numbers I would need to buy and from where would I be able to buy them? I am anxiously awaiting a reply. Thank to all who might be able to assist.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
offthehook
Rep
Drives: X1

what X1 model did you get?

I am awaiting delivery of my X1 s-drive M Sport. I am in the Bahamas and just wanted to hail a fellow islander. Sorry I can't help with your question...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Alfons
Rep

Hello Offthebook, I have an X1 18i. But I do not have many options. I am hoping to hear from individuals where I would be able to get the equipment to retrofit the vehicle. I am delighted to hear from some one from the region. I lived in the Bahamas, Nassau to be exact, for two years - 1992-1994. Louis
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
offthehook
Rep

Hi Louis, I am Nassau. I have lived here most of my life. We finally have a BMW dealer for the first time in my memory.

I am in a similar situation with options. Sounds like my X1 will have similar options but it does not come with satellite radio (see my post). I know I can get an after market satellite radio but I would rather not have integrated into the dash.

I hope you are able to get the options that you are looking for. I will be watching the board to see what you learn! I am new here but there seem to be some very knowledgeable, helpful people here.

How do you like the X1 so far? Any problems?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
Alfons
Rep

The x1 is great, and why not, it is only 4 weeks old. I am have issues from the dealers regarding the upgrades. For example, the retrofitting of the front sensors is going to be very costly. I have to change the bumper as part of the upgrade. Additionally, the mud flaps from the BMW source is costing BDS$600. I will have to source most, if not all, the parts from other sources such as Bimmer and eBay. If you hear of any retailers I can use, please do not hesitate to share. Louis
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #6
Messi(ah)
Registered
Rep

Mud flaps

Hi Alfonse,

FYI, I purchased these mud flaps off of ebay from a Chinese company for $75 Canadian plus $15 for shipping. A local body shop installed them for me for only $80. They fit perfectly and look exactly like the ones from BMW in the Photos section. Even not installing them myself, I saved at least $200 over buying from the dealership and having them install it.

By the way, my wife and I were in Barbados (Bridgetown Hilton) for 3 days last month and had an awesome time. She is from Trinidad and and I've been to most of the Carribean islands but I think Barbados is my favourite. I asked her why she couldn't be born in Barbados My Barbados flag keychain is right next to the X1 keychain. The beaches and the flying fish cutters are the best! I'm sure you got the panoramic sun roof to enjoy the sunshine. Here in Toronto, Canada the sun roof is only going to be in use for half the year. I did see one X1 in Barbados when I was there. Probably yours since I'm sure there aren't too many on the island. Did you have to get it imported directly from another island?

I don't have any other upgrades on my 28i aside from the Xenon lights and premium package (X-line, heated steering wheel and sun roof). Enjoy.

Regards,

Mark.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2009-2011-BMW...item19ce0db12f
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
Alfons
Rep

Hi Mark,
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Barbados, affectionately referred as Bim. I am also happy to hear that you think Bim is a beautiful place, and I invite you to return as often as you can.

I spent a year and a half in Canada. The first nine months were spent at the University of Guelph and the remaining nine were spent in Toronto. I had the opportunity to visit Hamilton and some other cities. I enjoyed the Winter, but hated the Summer, the sun setting at 10 p.m.

I am comfortable with the X1, but dissatisfied with the inability to retrofit certain options. I do not have a sunroof, but wish I had the iDrive pre-fitted. It that were the case, I would be able to retrofit many more options. However, I will have to make do with what I do have. Regarding the X1 you saw, it was not mine (smile). There are quite a number of them in Barbados. And the one I have was brought in by the dealers, McEnearny.

Please stay in touch and let me know where I might be able to source some after market retrofit parts - front sensors, rain visors, CD changer etc.
Louis:
Appreciate 0