Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

bluejay_el's X1

Got tons of questions but I decided to put it in one thread under this forum to get feedback from X1 owners.

Ordered:
2014 X1 xDrive28i
M Sport
Le Mans Blue Metallic
Beige Leatherette
Light Fineline Wood Trim
Driver Assistance Package
Technology Package
Lighting Package
Heated Front Seats
Panoramic moon roof

... apparently it would now come with servotronic.... not really sure how I'd feel about that

... Yep, I'll post pictures once i have it

Production/Shipping schedule:
Ordered last Aug 19th, and originally was scheduled to be in production on week 36 (1st week of September.

Got the Production Number / VIN from dealer yesterday and told me that the car is already in production. Called BMW and got an automated response that expected completion by Aug 30th! ...wasn't expecting that but i guess that's a good thing

Q1: Anyone know how long would then it take to ship the X1 to SC?

Performance Delivery:
Opted to take advantage of of the Performance Delivery. Since Im owning it (and not just leasing it), I might just as well understand what my X1 would be capable of... my only issue would be the over 700 mile trip back home...which is another topic

Q2: Anyone had experience doing the performance delivery in an X1? How did it perform?

Drive back to MI:
I'm not really into long drives, unless Im a passenger and its not my car. But anyway, I googled my route and it seems I'll be hitting the following Towns/Cities (via I-75):

Asheville, NC
Knoxville, TN
Lexington, KY
Cincinnati, OH
Dayon, OH
Toledo, OH

Q3: Considering my PCD would be scheduled this Fall, any advice on where to stop and check out attractions/scenery? Place to spend the night? Restaurants/Food to try? Alternate route?

Q4: Anyone who have driven through the Cherohala Skyway? How was it?

PPF & Tint:
One of the issues with the PCD is that I dont get to put PPF and tint before I drive it off the lot. My CA advised me to wrap a temporary film (eg. tracwrap) on my way back. I was also considering to have have the PPF done either to the closest shop to Spartanburg (Extreme Colors in Greenville) or anywhere along my route.

Q5: Anyone how had the same issue? What dd you end up doing?

Q6: For PPF: Which brand (xpel vs 3m vs others)? Custom or Pre cut? How Much? For Tint: Which Brand? What shade? Which Windows? How much?

Looking forward to get informative responses!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

First off check out Barley's Tap room in downtown Greenville, excellent pizza and a huge selection of ...beer.

As for the trip home, rather than just driving straight home, I'd hit a bit of the blue ridge parkway, it is an excellent drive, and while you may be a bit too early for fall colors, you will still have a blast. You could also go a bit south and see the tail of the dragon.

I've been to the PC a number of times, and the delivery experience is top notch, they really make you feel like a VIP.

As for an alternate route, you could take 77 N through west virginia, then there are some decent back roads from Beckley, WV to Columbus. I find it is a more enjoyable drive than the boring interstates in OH. I'm in Roanoke, and have made that drive north (home to Ontario) several times.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
First off check out Barley's Tap room in downtown Greenville, excellent pizza and a huge selection of ...beer.

As for the trip home, rather than just driving straight home, I'd hit a bit of the blue ridge parkway, it is an excellent drive, and while you may be a bit too early for fall colors, you will still have a blast. You could also go a bit south and see the tail of the dragon.

I've been to the PC a number of times, and the delivery experience is top notch, they really make you feel like a VIP.

As for an alternate route, you could take 77 N through west virginia, then there are some decent back roads from Beckley, WV to Columbus. I find it is a more enjoyable drive than the boring interstates in OH. I'm in Roanoke, and have made that drive north (home to Ontario) several times.

TJ
Thanks for the suggestions! I might actually consider BRP over Cherohala. My CA encouraged me to try the tail of the dragon, but it seems there's too much motorcycle traffic (and accidents) plus its kinda out of the way
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

If your going thru Ashville stop at the Biltmore which was the home of the Vanderbilts. Give yourself a few hours.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0