mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
Hi all you BMW lovers out there.
I am a newbie so go easy on me. I have owned RAV 4's for about 7 years now & my latest one is now over 3 years old. Didn't want to get a new one as I don't like new grille. Ordered 18d x drive in October & should pick it up at end of the year. My RAV4 has all season Yokohama tyres and they are brilliant in the white stuff. This was my only concern when ordering the X1 & my salesman couldn't help. He hadn't a clue what type of tyres would come with the car but assured me their X1 demo had no problems last winter. I think the X1 has all season Continental tyres but I am not 100% sure. In Auto Express magazine they did a test of winter tyres along with an all season tyre & a summer tyre. The summer tyre was terrible in the snow however the all season was not far behond the winter tyre. If your car has all season tyres there is no need to fit winter tyres.

Before I ordered my X1 I read all the threads on it & made up my mind from these. So thanks to all of you who made good comments about the X1. Can't wait till mine arrives.
Hi Dave, welcome here!
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #24
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Hi all you BMW lovers out there.
I am a newbie so go easy on me. I have owned RAV 4's for about 7 years now & my latest one is now over 3 years old. Didn't want to get a new one as I don't like new grille. Ordered 18d x drive in October & should pick it up at end of the year. My RAV4 has all season Yokohama tyres and they are brilliant in the white stuff. This was my only concern when ordering the X1 & my salesman couldn't help. He hadn't a clue what type of tyres would come with the car but assured me their X1 demo had no problems last winter. I think the X1 has all season Continental tyres but I am not 100% sure. In Auto Express magazine they did a test of winter tyres along with an all season tyre & a summer tyre. The summer tyre was terrible in the snow however the all season was not far behond the winter tyre. If your car has all season tyres there is no need to fit winter tyres.

Before I ordered my X1 I read all the threads on it & made up my mind from these. So thanks to all of you who made good comments about the X1. Can't wait till mine arrives.
Hi Again Big Dave, I am just down the road from you. I double checked my tyres again and they are Pirelli Cinturato's and marked as all season. I only got mine 2 months ago (MY11) so I would expect yours to come with the same. My local dealer is also offering a set of Pirelli SottoZero winter tyres on steel rims for £1200. Have not gone for them yet but after the snow we have just had I wonder how much of a difference they will make. I am happy to report though that the X1 has performed brilliantly these last few days. That is after I had dug it out
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 03:41 AM   #25
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

John,

Thansk a mil for all the info, including the Nokian story... I was gonna go for those but thought they were some kind of cheap Taiwan-made knock-offs..
      12-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #26
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 20d MSport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Hello Big Dave, welcome to the forum.

Yes indeed, X1s come equipped with Continental Summer tires. Thanks for your feedback about all-seasons... Very interesting.
Thanks for the welcome. Will provide more info when car arrives with pics.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 01:52 PM   #27
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Again Big Dave, I am just down the road from you. I double checked my tyres again and they are Pirelli Cinturato's and marked as all season. I only got mine 2 months ago (MY11) so I would expect yours to come with the same. My local dealer is also offering a set of Pirelli SottoZero winter tyres on steel rims for £1200. Have not gone for them yet but after the snow we have just had I wonder how much of a difference they will make. I am happy to report though that the X1 has performed brilliantly these last few days. That is after I had dug it out
Hi Mario,

Car was ordered from Menzies in Stirling. Cars that were being PDI'd for customers had Continental tyres. Will let you know what type I get when car arrives at end of month (hopefully) & post some pics. Thanks for info on your tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome. Will provide more info when car arrives with pics.
Look forward to it !
      12-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #29
matthewuk
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive20d

Our MY11 xDrive 1.8d came with Bridgestone Dueller non-runflats as standard. This is a standard summer tyre.

In conjunction with xDrive they worked really well in the conditions we've recently had in Scotland but on a steeper incline with the wrong type of ice/slush/snow there was some loss of traction and I had to dig out of my parking space once. (nose in on a quite sever camber in Edinburgh).

We had the BMW winter wheel package installed early this week and I am very impressed. The conditions were worse than last week but the car just goes everywhere without a worry. I'd be quite surprised if you ever needed to add snow chains - if conditions were that bad you are probably going to start having problems with ground clearance and ought to be in a full size 4x4.

The NRF package is steel wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and very nice trims (just like the picture on the other thread). £840 including two changes a year and the garage store the summer wheels until we change back in spring. The trims are secured with the 5 lug nuts so shouldn't come off in deep snow. Mine seem fine so far. If you do damage them they are only about £60 a set to replace.

It's not just the really bad snow and ice though (which is a rare occurrence) - the tyres just work better in cold conditions and given you probably have to change all your tyres once due to wear and tear during the time you have the car the additional cost is pretty low.

In summary - having driven with and without winter tyres in the recent conditions I would not hesitate in recommending the winter tyre package.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #30
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

No seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewuk View Post

In summary - having driven with and without winter tyres in the recent conditions I would not hesitate in recommending the winter tyre package.
I always say that all seasons are no seasons. If you need traction in the winter, get snow tires on all four wheels. No worries and if you are keeping your car for a few years, you are probably going to go through another set of tires, so might as well be snows.

Put them on when the weather is consistently below 7C.

Ain't that right 'Keeper?

Last edited by DUH CAR; 12-11-2010 at 05:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:51 AM   #31
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

You bet'cha Dude !
      12-11-2010, 08:01 AM   #32
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Our MY11 xDrive 1.8d came with Bridgestone Dueller non-runflats as standard. This is a standard summer tyre.

In conjunction with xDrive they worked really well in the conditions we've recently had in Scotland but on a steeper incline with the wrong type of ice/slush/snow there was some loss of traction and I had to dig out of my parking space once. (nose in on a quite sever camber in Edinburgh).

We had the BMW winter wheel package installed early this week and I am very impressed. The conditions were worse than last week but the car just goes everywhere without a worry. I'd be quite surprised if you ever needed to add snow chains - if conditions were that bad you are probably going to start having problems with ground clearance and ought to be in a full size 4x4.

The NRF package is steel wheels with Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and very nice trims (just like the picture on the other thread). £840 including two changes a year and the garage store the summer wheels until we change back in spring. The trims are secured with the 5 lug nuts so shouldn't come off in deep snow. Mine seem fine so far. If you do damage them they are only about £60 a set to replace.

It's not just the really bad snow and ice though (which is a rare occurrence) - the tyres just work better in cold conditions and given you probably have to change all your tyres once due to wear and tear during the time you have the car the additional cost is pretty low.

Hi Mathew, Did you get them from Eastern at Newbridge?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #33
matthewuk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Mathew, Did you get them from Eastern at Newbridge?
Yes I did...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #34
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did...
Thanks, its a great deal they have. Shall be speaking to them on Monday. Hope they have some left.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #35
matthewuk
Rep

Not sure what the price is if you need runflats...

In terms of availability I ordered a month ago and was initially told January so I think they are in short supply. They then miraculously appeared last Saturday so I got us booked straight in.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #36
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what the price is if you need runflats...

In terms of availability I ordered a month ago and was initially told January so I think they are in short supply. They then miraculously appeared last Saturday so I got us booked straight in.
According to their website they don't do run flats on their winter tyres for the X1. Probably mean I would also need to pay the £40 for the tyre goo in a can.

I hope they still have some left. Have left a message for them to call back on stock availability. My hope is that they are unique to the X1 (think they are) at BMW so may still get lucky. Stupid of me to have waited this long but hey ho trying to convince the missus that I need to spend more on what I have already spent aint easy.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #37
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did...
They got me a set as some guy cancelled. Having them fitted on Saturday

Just in time maybe as we are due some snow in the next few days.

Last edited by mario486; 12-14-2010 at 09:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 11:34 AM   #38
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

Mario - don't buy the tyre sealant from BMW. Just go to Halfords and you can get Holts tyreweld for under a tenner. Thats what I have for my RAV4 at moment. Does the same job.

Got my phone call last friday. Car should be delivered to dealer this week. Just in time for the next bout of arctic weather!

Wonder what tyres it will come with?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #39
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Agreed... The BMW Mobility kit is just a fancy foam cannister, expensive if it did not come with the car already.

I always carry two cans in my own car just in case (even though it's equipped with a spare wheel). Get the job done without having to get dirty on the side of the road.
      12-14-2010, 01:44 PM   #40
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Mario - don't buy the tyre sealant from BMW. Just go to Halfords and you can get Holts tyreweld for under a tenner. Thats what I have for my RAV4 at moment. Does the same job.

Got my phone call last friday. Car should be delivered to dealer this week. Just in time for the next bout of arctic weather!

Wonder what tyres it will come with?
Hey thats great new...talk about just in time. You are going to love the X1 with the weather we have been having, although your RAV should be good as well.

Thanks for the tip about the tyre goo, first going to see whether I can convince them to give it to me for free
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #41
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

No problem Mario and good luck trying to get a freebie. Also I forgot to mention that if you don't already have them you will need to carry a tool to remove the inner part of the valve and also a compressor or pump.

Picking up my X1 on saturday. The tyres are Michelin Primacy ( summer ones!). Strange choice of tyre for a 4 x 4 car. Any problems and I'll need to consider changing them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #42
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Dave,

The X1 is not a 4WD in the SUV sense of the word. It's neither a LR Defender or even a Q5. So it does make sense that these are the same regular tourism tires you'd find on a A4 Quattro or 320 Xd for instance.
      12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #43
BigDave
Certified
Scotland
Rep

Hi gatekeeper - X1 is a crossover (part SUV part car). It can do light off roading. In my opinion it should be fitted with all season tyres so you don't have to waste time changing to winter tyres for 6 months of the year.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #44
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

My point exactly. Although in 2WD nothing beats a good set of Winter rubbers, even if only on the rear wheels.