Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M-sport 6 sp manual

e9x 335i xDrive vs x1 35i M-sport - Suspension comparison

All,

I currently have a 2009 e92 335i xDrive and I'm seriously considering going to an x1 335i xDrive M-sport. My main complaint about the xDrive on my e92 is obviously the handling due to the lack of sports suspension. I'm not as concerned with ride height as the x1 is obviously raised.

But unlike e9x xDrives, the X1 Msports actually have an upgraded sports suspension. Has anyone who has a current X1 35i Msport driven (or come from) an e9x xDrive that can make a comparison? Is the X1 Msport suspension more akin to e9x Sports package (non-xDrive)? Or does it feel somewhat in between e9x Sports and x9x xDrive?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm mulling putting KW V1's on my car, which is going to be a significant cost. If the Msport suspension on the X1 is better in terms of handling/body roll than the e9x xDrives, I may save my money to use towards a new X1 Msport.

I know it's rather specific, but I don't want to start dumping money into my current car to fix the lackluster suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Both cars share the same suspension and weigh almost the same weight; so I would argue that a E9x w/sport suspension would handle almost the same as the X1 w/M-Sport (or sport suspension).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Remember that xDrive E9x's didn't get a sport suspension. We have an X-Line X1, coming from a 135i. The ride is softer on the X1 with stock RFT's than the 1er on non RFT's, which is impressive. Handling is surprisingly good but not as crisp as the 1er, but again, this has more to do with tires and xDrive. The suspension itself is much better sorted, the E82 was a mess from the factory, way too much dive and squat and nearly no small impact suppression.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Remember that xDrive E9x's didn't get a sport suspension. We have an X-Line X1, coming from a 135i. The ride is softer on the X1 with stock RFT's than the 1er on non RFT's, which is impressive. Handling is surprisingly good but not as crisp as the 1er, but again, this has more to do with tires and xDrive. The suspension itself is much better sorted, the E82 was a mess from the factory, way too much dive and squat and nearly no small impact suppression.
Yeah, that's my point. e9x xDrive sports have the stock suspension with higher ride height. Looks like you went to an xLine which doesn't have the M-sport suspension. I would expect a non-sports X1 to handle worse than a non-sports 135 or 335. But I'm specifically wondering if anyone compared the sports-suspension on a X1 (Msport) to a e9x xDrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemind View Post
Yeah, that's my point. e9x xDrive sports have the stock suspension with higher ride height. Looks like you went to an xLine which doesn't have the M-sport suspension. I would expect a non-sports X1 to handle worse than a non-sports 135 or 335. But I'm specifically wondering if anyone compared the sports-suspension on a X1 (Msport) to a e9x xDrive.
Remember that all 135i coupes have the sport suspension. We didn't want an M Sport, and the Sport line doesn't offer the sport suspension either, so the greater color choices on the X Line made it an easy choice. We would have likely waited for an F31 if the N55 was available with it, but since they'll all be xLine with the N20, we decided to just grab the X1.

If you're focused on handling, the M Sport is good deal and very likely will handle better than an E9x without sport.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
pinemind
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Remember that all 135i coupes have the sport suspension. We didn't want an M Sport, and the Sport line doesn't offer the sport suspension either, so the greater color choices on the X Line made it an easy choice. We would have likely waited for an F31 if the N55 was available with it, but since they'll all be xLine with the N20, we decided to just grab the X1.

If you're focused on handling, the M Sport is good deal and very likely will handle better than an E9x without sport.
Thanks. I've been basically calculating the upgrades to my current car that would get it where I wanted it (suspension, exhaust tips, new wheels/tires) plus a emergency fund to cover costs since my N54 335i is at 55k, and I'd be able to use that money (and have leftover) to get the X1 with the suspension and looks already in check, plus not having to worry about stashing tons of cash away to cover maintenance for 3 years. I have a Barbera Red e92 with Shadowline and I'm trying to get the black theme everywhere to match (trim, grilles, front bumper grilles, wheels, exhaust tips). I know it will look amazing once it's done, but at that mileage, I'm getting wary. Plus, I go camping/music festivals/skiing a lot (already have a Thule box) and the extra space would really help.

And I will go for a test drive, but here in MA, I haven't been able to find an X1 35i Msport to test drive yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I kept my M Coupe to 145k miles, it was pretty much trouble free. The 135i was good (and the N54 was just a little nicer and torquier than the N55), especially once they got the HPFP sorted, but we wanted the extra space and doors of the X1 but didn't like the larger size of the F30, so it was an easy choice. If it were my car, an M Sport would have made more sense (but it would have needed a stick), so I'd keep looking for one to test drive. It's impressive to me how much the X1 feels like the 135i, it's really a great driving thing considering it has xDrive and sits up fairly high.
Appreciate 0