XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #23
solan67
Rep
Drives: 2.0 D x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
он стучит в нижнюю секцию рулевого вала. пока машина на гарантии - дилер меняет бесплатно (не очень охотно, по крайней мере в России). Но проблема решена в очень короткий период времени. Затем забилось снова. Многие из нас изменили его в течение гарантийного срока в 2-3 раза. ( Я уже меняли 2 раза расстоянии 38 тысяч), теперь точно буду менять крестовину. Это похоже на дефект конструкции, что BMW не хотят это признавать. В основном эта проблема возникает в X езды
авто правильно?[/QUOTE]

ask a question differently please.
online translator too bad translation.....
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #24
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salzo View Post
I obsessed on this one for 2 months. I finally took it in and they replaced the lower steering shaft. BUT, this is nature of the beast. I sat in EVERY car in the showroom and all did it to some degree or another. My brother owns 3 BMWs. His older 3 series does NOT do it but the two newer ones (2007 and 2010) both do it. It's just BMW "design" - call it good, call it bad - it's their design.

And the only thing that came from my repair was a free alignment because they thought it needed it - which is fine after my New Hampshire winter. But I still have the clunk - perhaps less, but it's there.
My car had same issue. Dealer replaced that same shaft with what I *think* is an updated(upgraded?) part. My clunk/knock is gone.
The part number of the lower steering shaft that was installed is NOT the same part # listed on REALOEM.com. My SA said that his parts dept is now stocking this shaft which leads him to believe that this will be an ongoing issue with all vehicles using this particular part.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #25
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solan67 View Post
он стучит в нижнюю секцию рулевого вала. пока машина на гарантии - дилер меняет бесплатно (не очень охотно, по крайней мере в России). Но проблема решена в очень короткий период времени. Затем забилось снова. Многие из нас изменили его в течение гарантийного срока в 2-3 раза. ( Я уже меняли 2 раза расстоянии 38 тысяч), теперь точно буду менять крестовину. Это похоже на дефект конструкции, что BMW не хотят это признавать. В основном эта проблема возникает в X drive
Извините, но я не могу читать этот русский дерьмо
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:58 PM   #26
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a similar knocking sound but it sounds like its coming from the front right. When I tightened my lug bolts, the sound became more quiet.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
solan67
Rep
Drives: 2.0 D x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Извините, но я не могу читать этот русский дерьмо
not like Russian shit?

Last edited by solan67; 08-05-2014 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #28
Biggest BMW Fan
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20d

I drive a 2014 sDrive X1.
I sometimes get a single knock noise that sounds like it's coming from the front right side of the car when I leave home in the mornings and travel over the first speed hump in my estate.

I also get a knock noise sometimes when I get to work and park in our basement parking. I drive straight in and then do a turn to the right at full lock. I then reverse into my bay turning the wheel left (full lock). It's the transition from right to left lock when the single knock noise occurs. Doesn't happen all the time though
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest BMW Fan View Post
I drive a 2014 sDrive X1.
I sometimes get a single knock noise that sounds like it's coming from the front right side of the car when I leave home in the mornings and travel over the first speed hump in my estate.

I also get a knock noise sometimes when I get to work and park in our basement parking. I drive straight in and then do a turn to the right at full lock. I then reverse into my bay turning the wheel left (full lock). It's the transition from right to left lock when the single knock noise occurs. Doesn't happen all the time though
When mine first started it seemed intermittent. As the miles accumulated, it began occurring more often. I waited until it was very easy to duplicate before I took it in. A tech and I drove around for perhaps 2 minutes and he admitted that something sounded and felt amiss.
It's fixed now and hopefully, will last.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:05 PM   #30
p@dre
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Exclamation lower steering joint knocking

https://youtu.be/2W5TloKJiE0

Lower Steering Joint (32306784845) ... second time
      05-14-2015, 03:26 AM   #31
bradbill
Rep
Drives: m8

have similar problems when stopping
      05-16-2016, 12:15 PM   #32
msweeney23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x128i

Talking 2014 X1 Steering Knock FIXED

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@dre View Post
https://youtu.be/2W5TloKJiE0

Lower Steering Joint (32306784845) ... second time
*THANK YOU*

I have working with the dealer on this problem for some time, and they have also reported this as 'normal' and that all other X1's do it. I did not back down because I never would have purchased the car if I knew the steering would degrade so much on a 'premium' vehicle.

They were actually quite accommodating and although they still maintain there was no problem they replaced the above part under warranty due to this thread.

My car is now AS NEW and drives perfectly again.. for now. =)

Job performed at BMW Motorwerks in Bloomington, Minnesota, USA.

EDIT: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i 19,000 miles (AWD 4cyl Turbo).
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #33
PleaseAdvise
///M-Sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 2.8 M-Sport LMB on CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchendesign View Post
I posted a tread earlier about a steering wheel knocking sound problem on my new X1.
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...php?p=15703030

Here are some updates. I appreciate any opinions on this!

I went to the dealership several times to try to fix it, but failed. At the last time, they got an engineer from BMWUSA to help with it. They replaced several parts with another X1, but didn't fix it. They also found it happened on other X1 as well (only xDrive version). So, they stated that it was a normal design and couldn't be fixed.

I'm confused here... In my opinion, the steering wheel on a new car should be smooth and quiet. Since the noise is quite annoying to me, can they just say it's a normal design? How do they define a 'problem' or a 'normal design'?

Another thing is, they have temporarily fixed it once by replacing the steering spindle. Can a normal design be 'fixed' by replacing anything?

Here are some documentation of the repairs...

1 (Jan21, 2014)
Problem Statement: Knocking noise coming from steering wheel area when driving at low speed
Explanation: Steering spindle bottom worn
Repair: Replaced lower steering spindle
Result: Temporarily fixed the problem, but happened again in 2 months.
2 (Mar28, 14)
Problem Statement: There is a knocking noise in the steering wheel at low speed that you can hear and feel
Explanation: Found noise from the steering rack. Steering rack is on back order. Customer will return for repair.
3 (Apr23, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation:
Repair: Replaced steering rack. Installed new crush seals for the power steering lines.
Result: Didn’t fix the problem at all.
4 (May2, 14)
Problem Statement: Steering wheel knocking noise problem.
Explanation: This is a normal design and there is no repair.
Result: Didn’t fix the problem at all.
Same problem on mine. I have an early production 14 model 2.8. Mine isn't quite that loud but its getting louder.
      05-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #34
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAdvise View Post
Same problem on mine. I have an early production 14 model 2.8. Mine isn't quite that loud but its getting louder.
*28i, not 2.8.

My '13 clunks too, might mention it before my warranty runs out in a few thousand miles. If there's an updated part, maybe they'll fix mine. If not, I don't really care. Most if not all steering racks clunk even when new.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 09:54 AM   #35
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchendesign View Post
Thank you so much... I think you are right, I need to hire a lawyer.

And also, in the meeting in last week, the BMW engineer finally said, ''we would like to spend a few thousand dollars to make you happy." But yesterday, the dealer didn't give me any additional discount rather than anyone else could get. They valued my car $2k lower than the price on KBB, and gave me $5k discount only (which is already on their website).
just wanted to add my input as well:

First of all, mine is a 2012 but started its life in 2011. No noise whatsoever. The single noise is at maximum right or left and that is normal.

Second of all, don't jump that easy on the lawyer thing, (not that you shouldn't do it if necessary), you vehicle is still in warranty so you should not spend a dime on that car. You should give them a chance to replace and repair. Even with a lawyer, if you did not provided a chance for the proper assessment and repair, is not that easy.

Anyway, before you go there, go to the dealership, let them know that you are not happy, it is not normal and you don't feel safe. Keep all the records of your visits in there and always ask for a paper that will state the results or their conclusion.
If they are still bullshit you that it is normal, ask for a written paper that will state their conclusion. that will make them think twice before putting it in writing. So they will either fix it properly, either give you a proper written conclusion.
After that, you can pursue the legal path if not fixed.

Good luck to you.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #36
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Just to add to that you can always escalate to BMW NA and then BMW AG. I know if a case where there was an obvious problem with the steering (suspension related if I'm not mistaken) which caused an issue in the way the car handled. The local dealer couldn't identify it and then refused to fix, after escalating to BMW AG the dealer magically found the needed tool to isolate and fix the problem.

Just make sure you know what you want before you take any surviving action - if you want it fixed, if you want a good deal on a trade in, or if you just want them to take the car back for good money. Knowing what you want will make sure you don't take cover productive steps
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #37
jtbmwx1
Rep
Drives: current :E84 14 / Past:E30 85

Same problem on a 14' E84 Prod. date 2013-09-06

First, I am new here, first post. I live in Costa Rica.
I just bought t this car 3 days ago with 7600 miles on it.
It was a test drive model which the dealer kept for manager's use.
it is in really good shape, however I noticed this sound, which they said is normal, its annoying and it happens only at low speeds or when idle.

can this be fixed?
is this dangerous?
is there any bmw word about this?

Here are my car specs:
Type code VM91
Type X1 X20I (EUR)
Dev. series E84 ()
Line X
Body type GEFZG
Steering LL
Door count 5
Engine N20
Cubical capacity 2.00
Power 135
Transmision ALLR
Gearbox AUT
Colour MINERALGRAU METALLIC (B39)
Upholstery SENSATEC 1/BEIGE (KCB4)
Prod. date 2013-09-06
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #38
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Might be the same thing that I got into, no real safety issue just an annoyance.
If it's similar to mine, was just the lower steering rod, the part that actually telescopes when you move the steering wheel.

You need to replace or re-grease this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/32306784845/

re-grease will only last a while to get rid of the annoying clunk
it's not all the difficult to replace. I re-greased mine when I first picked up my car just to make sure that's what it was. Came back in 7k. I'll replace it someday but it doesn't bother me much.

IIRC GM had a long standing problem similar to this in the 00's.

Last edited by kiloTHREE; 08-26-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 10:57 PM   #39
jtbmwx1
Rep
Drives: current :E84 14 / Past:E30 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE
Might be the same thing that I got into, no real safety issue just an annoyance.
If it's similar to mine, was just the lower steering rod, the part that actually telescopes when you move the steering wheel.

You need to replace or re-grease this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...y/32306784845/

re-grease will only last a while to get rid of the annoying clunk
it's not all the difficult to replace. I re-greased mine when I first picked up my car just to make sure that's what it was. Came back in 7k. I'll replace it someday but it doesn't bother me much.

IIRC GM had a long standing problem similar to this in the 00's.
thanks a lot. my "premium" x1 is coming with a 2 year warranty. I will see what will they do in my next service.
Appreciate 0