Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Potential X1 Buyer -- Need Help!

Hi everyone!

I'm considering leasing a X1 as a second car and was hoping for some owner input and suggestions. I currently drive a 2012 328i sport line and love it but am looking for a vehicle with a little more space and utility for my job.

It seems that the X1 would provide me with a larger trunk and backseat space I would need to haul materials, be on job sites, etc. while maintaining great gas mileage.

Owners--- am I looking at the right car? How is the space? How much should I expect to pay per month? All input welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
ifocus
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Sport Package

The space is great and very versatile. I am a mountain biker and manage to put bike, gears and camping gears for a long week end. Nowadays this is ski season so I drove 4 with skis at the trail head. Awesome car and retains superb driving dynamic. The X-drive is amazing on snowy roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
3Bims
Private
Rep
Drives: XXX

Hard to answer without knowing how much space you need. Best for you to go to the dealer and drop the back seat and see for yourself. There is more space in the 3series second row but the x1 has the hatch and extended space when you drop the seat. On gas mileage, it seems that owners are having very different results from one another. Check the threads on that.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Not an owner yet, but I checked out a X1 the other day. Considering I have yet to have fit more than 1 large (standard check-in size, really) luggage, a 14x5x3 box w/ misc stuff (tire plug kit, torque wrench, small towels, and air pressure gauge), 2 14oz boxing gloves, and 2 Thai pads in the back of my car, I'm also interested in the storage capacity of the X1. Looking at a X1 at a dealer the other day, I came out with the following conclusions/thoughts:

The glovebox is small as others have stated in other threads. You can pretty much fit the owners manuals in it and maybe something small on top. The glovebox is pretty well sized to the width of the little case the manuals all go in but you can probably stack something small on top (iPass/EZpass, small EDC pouch, etc...). Personally, I'd put the owners manuals in the back like I do with my coupe.This would leave plenty of room for what I typically keep in my glove box (small flashlight and a EDC pouch w/ misc stuff like a pen, small multitool, etc...) and I'd have room left over. I don't read instructions anyways. If you don't have Nav, you get a storage box in the center, top of the dash. The X1 the dealer had out had nav so I didn't get a feel for how much can fit in it.

Door compartments....roomy, but I never put anything in them so I didn't really pay much attention to them.

Center Armrest has some storage in it, but it is not cavernous like a Jeep or large SUV's. It looked like the 2nd/removable cupholder get stored in it, though.

The boot is pretty well sized for this size of a vehicle. It is a little smaller but on par w/ a current gen Subaru Outback but has more capacity than a Impreza\WRX\STi (5-door). The cargo area itself is ~25cu ft when the rear seats are in the upright position. To throw another reference, my MCS (Mini Cooper S) only has ~ 24 cu ft when the rear seats are down...which is still more than my coupe. With the rear seats down, BMW lists the X1's available cargo space as 56cu ft. The rear seats don't fold down completely flat, though. They sit up at an angle of maybe several degrees, but it's not too bad or worse than other vehicles. You won't fit a 7' Xmas tree in it and be able to close the hatch unless it sticks in between the front seats a little. Underneath the 'floor panel' of the boot, is additional storage that spans the entire length and width of the boot area. It's a few inches tall and can fit a lot of misc stuff. There is also a bin on each side of the boot for storing things. Overall, very useful storage/cargo space. Having the 40/20/40 split folding rear seats seems great, too.

As 2Bims said, without knowing what it is you're planning to haul, it's hard to say. Best way to find out is to see one for yourself. I have no doubt I can haul a full set of 18" wheels/tires in the back without having to stack them on top of each other. I walked away with the impression that the cargo carrying capability is more than adequate for most of my needs. I can't haul full sheets of drywall in it but that's not something I need to do very often so it doesn't bother me. Bikes, wheels, camping gear, CostCo trips, etc.....the X1 should be more than adequate.
      01-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
The boot is pretty well sized for this size of a vehicle. It is a little smaller but on par w/ a current gen Subaru Outback but has more capacity than a Impreza\WRX\STi (5-door). The cargo area itself is ~25cu ft when the rear seats are in the upright position.
I'm not sure where you found your data, but I encourage you to double check your numbers. BMW lists the X1's cargo capacity at 14.8 cu ft, which is well shy of the Impreza's capacity, and a fraction of the 34+ cu ft the Outback's offers. There is simply no denying the packaging advantages of FWD platforms.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
I'm not sure where you found your data, but I encourage you to double check your numbers. BMW lists the X1's cargo capacity at 14.8 cu ft, which is well shy of the Impreza's capacity, and a fraction of the 34+ cu ft the Outback's offers. There is simply no denying the packaging advantages of FWD platforms.
With the back seats at the 2nd detent (i.e. upright), with the 1st being the reclined position, cargo capacity increases to ~25 cu ft. When the seats are in their reclined position, you are correct that it is ~ 14.8cu ft. When the seats are folded down, cargo capacity if furthered to the ~56cu ft. Not a complete apples/apples comparison, but 25cu ft is real without having to fold the rear seats down.

Also, the Outback is a larger vehicle. Perhaps my wording was off by not specifically calling that out, but that is what I meant when I said the X1 'is smaller but on par'. It is caveated by being smaller than the Outback.

Go Blue.
      01-06-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Tirpitz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 328 GT, 2017 i3 REX

The biggest thing I typically carry is a Christmas tree. This year I was able to put the roughly 6 foot tree into the X1 with the seats down with room to spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Also got a 6-7 ft tree in my X1. I had put out a blanket to lie under the tree, but I was at the front of the car when they shoved it in - without the blanket. I am still finding stray needles 4 weeks later...

Wish I could get my "beach cruiser" bicycle in the X1 but the wider handlebars prevent that. I don't want to mess with the roof rack because I am convinced that sooner or later I'll scratch the paint.

So that leaves either an after-market hitch and rear bike rack (with few current options for the US X1 and they are pricey) OR a foldable bike like the Montague (almost full-size)...which is about $650 for the base model...I have decided to wait awhile and see if more hitch options appear....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 11:04 PM   #9
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

F31 is what you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
miataken
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1, White, Xenon, Leather

"while maintaining great gas mileage. "

I think this is relative to your expectation. While I am very happy with the driving dynamics of my xDrive 28i, but like many other owners, I've never got the City/Highway 22/33 mpg stated. The best I got is about 20mpg with mix city/hwy (60%/40%) driving. Some others got higher numbers but not many get close to promised.

In terms of space, I was able to load a 46gal fish tank with stand with rear seats down. Can't complaint.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
brokemycar
Registered
Rep
Drives: TBD

Being able to fit the stroller length-wise was the deciding factor for us.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:29 PM   #12
Rockfish66
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xdrive 28i

We just traded our '07 X3 for an X1 xD28i.
The X1 is a good bit smaller in many dimensions, so I would characterize it as a "high wagon" (more like an Audi Allroad).

That being said, the capacities and dimensions people are quoting (I have not looked these up myself) seem to indicate it actually has less cargo space than the upcoming 3 series Touring, along with many competitors' wagons. Is it "enough?" Well, that depends on your needs. It has good driving dynamics for what it is, but it seems that if you want still better cargo capacity and (perhaps) still better driving dynamics, the Touring might be the ticket.

The X1 is a cool vehicle, and it exists only because Americans will not buy wagons, and the rest of the world won't buy (ie wants better economy than) a typical "SUV."

It was the perfect vehicle for us, because, alas, my wife would not consider a "wagon" (though I would gladly) and we wanted better economy than the X3. Bingo - the X1.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Rockfish66
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xdrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokemycar View Post
Being able to fit the stroller length-wise was the deciding factor for us.
Cool! I actually brought our son's pack-n-play (folded up, of course) into the dealer's showroom to make sure it fit! It did.

(As a data point - the space between the wheel wells of the X1 is identical to the space between the wheel wells of the last gen X3. In fact, I even re-used the cargo liner from our old X3 in the new X1. i just had to cut 3" off the back, since the X1's cargo deck is a little shorter)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #14
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I should add that despite what I've read in some early reviews, a full size golf bag with driver will fit sideways in rear of the cargo area. Don't plan on transporting the entire foursome, however.

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #15
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

Thanks to everyone for your comments I really appreciate the help! When I was referencing maintaining good gas mileage I was referring to the quoted fuel economy which is the same as my 328. However, it seems that they are inaccurate so I appreciate everyone pointing that out. I like the idea of having a SUV-type vehicle for being on construction sites, putting materials (like marble slab samples) in the trunk, etc. I am going to head to my dealership to take a look at one in person and drive it. I'll fill you all in with my thoughts! Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #16
TheGuru2You
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 3.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
Hi everyone!

I'm considering leasing a X1 as a second car and was hoping for some owner input and suggestions. I currently drive a 2012 328i sport line and love it but am looking for a vehicle with a little more space and utility for my job.

It seems that the X1 would provide me with a larger trunk and backseat space I would need to haul materials, be on job sites, etc. while maintaining great gas mileage.

Owners--- am I looking at the right car? How is the space? How much should I expect to pay per month? All input welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Ryan
You will have more space in the trunk but not in the back seats. Your F90 is bigger but you need a hatch of some sort. If you can hold out, I'd wait for the F90 wagon for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #17
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

I think the F80 would be a little bit overkill for TS. And I highly doubt there will be an estate version of the M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #18
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

I'm sure he means F30/31
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
deanhttn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Suzuki Swift

I like that first picture. Having a child and have been having dialogue with 1 of our local sales agents; still haven't fully sold the idea to my beautiful wife(hope she reads this and softens up)though.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
deanhttn
Registered
Rep
Drives: Suzuki Swift

The local dealer had an x-drive experience over the weekend. Of course, I went and drove an X1 for the 1st time. I missed out on carrying the rest of the family. I guess I need to let the agent I've been in dialogue with provide my wife with a test drive by finding a reason for and time convenient for her to drive one up to my wife's office, after which I'll listen to her my wife's comments regarding this vehicle's capabilities after a 1st hand experience. Let's remember the topic. Potential Buyer - need help.
Appreciate 0