Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
vjsarthy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

Harmon Kardon upgrade

Today i stopped by the dealership to place an order for an X1, but the salesman i was working with was on vacation, so I took the time to check out the difference between the base system and Harmon Kardon upgrade. Since the dealer did not have a car with this upgrade, I listened to the base system and when I tried adjusting the audio settings I did not find the mid adjustment. My old '06 325i had bass, mid & treble which tells me that the X1 has little inferior system. Also the sound was a let down from my previous car.

Having said that, I think i need to go for the upgrade. As some one pointed out earlier in one of the other thread, HK system needs Tech package when configured using bmwconfig.com, but bmwusa.com doesn't state that.

http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734323

The SA said that they usually go with whats on bmwusa.com and if it lets you configure it, then it is possible to get HK without the tech package.

Any comments, any one with HK without tech?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
I know here in Canada, you have to get the 35i with the executive package. I believe for you guys down south, it's a stand alone option.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #3
rfluongo
Rep
Drives: xDrive28i M Sport

Under Change Notes (5-16-2013), the latest ordering guide states that "688 Harman Kardon Surround Sound System available without ZTP Technology Package". So, it seems bmwusa has been updated but bmwconfig has not.

Now I'm wondering if all the functionality is still there without Technology Pkg and iDrive. For instance, how do you adjust the multiband EQ without the screen?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
vjsarthy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

This is what I see under standard features for X1 in BMWUSA.com. Is this the iDrive system (highlighted in bold) you are talking about which is standard now?

Instrumentation and controls
• 3-spoke leather-wrapped multi-function sport steering wheel with controls for audio system, cruise control, and Bluetooth® wireless communication for hands-free mobile phone2
• Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling (if equipped with compatible Bluetooth phone2) and phonebook downloading capabilities (please visit your authorized BMW center for details on standard and optional services)
• USB audio connection
• Condition-Based Service display with additional functions accessible through iDrive system
• Dynamic Cruise Control3
• Rear-window defroster
• Tire Pressure Monitor
• BMW TeleService (includes a 10-year subscription)
• iDrive system with on-board computer and Controller, and 6 programmable memory buttons
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
rfluongo
Rep
Drives: xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsarthy View Post
This is what I see under standard features for X1 in BMWUSA.com. ...
• iDrive system with on-board computer and Controller, and 6 programmable memory buttons
Thank you for pointing that out. That does make more sense given the availability of H-K without the Tech Pkg., although the configurator does not show the iDrive knob in the console. I wonder if iDrive can exist knobless?

Last edited by rfluongo; 06-02-2013 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
MrT-Man
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M-Sport

You definitely want the HK upgrade. I have the "hi fi" system (which is the base system in the U.S., and the middle option in Canada) and I'm not impressed... it's one of my only complaints with the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
No idrive controller. The EQ is done through the stereo controls
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:52 AM   #8
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrT-Man View Post
You definitely want the HK upgrade. I have the "hi fi" system (which is the base system in the U.S., and the middle option in Canada) and I'm not impressed... it's one of my only complaints with the car.
There's not a lot of difference between the two, and not all of it for the better. The H-K has surround, which sounds rather awful when playing stereo, but thankfully that can be disabled.
It does have slightly clearer tweeters.
And an equalizer that while roughly stepped is better than nothing.
The bass is still muddy thumping made for those a lot more urban than I am, and doesn't go deep enough to deserve being called sub-woofers; there's really nothing lower than 50 Hz, and no way to keep a sustained tone below 100 or so.
You can have the CD rip and store music for you on the HD - I'm not sure whether that's a feature with the business / hi-fi system too. But unless you don't care about quality, you don't want to do that - a sampling rate of 128 kbps is awful.
Volume-wise, you can't play really loud in either. Car watts are not like other watts.

The HK system helps. It's not great. Unless you think 128k MP3s of new rock and rap sounds great, in which case you'll be well served by either.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Van1
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I'm no stereophile, but I find the stock system more than adequate for a stock unit. The HK system is the one option my X1 doesn't have. I had a loaner 135 that had an HK system and I didn't care for it. It had way too much boomy bass, even with the bass setting below half. If you like to listen to "urban" music, the HK system might be the way to go. I did like the HK system in my '98 M3.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
Chrakaknox
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van1 View Post
I'm no stereophile, but I find the stock system more than adequate for a stock unit. The HK system is the one option my X1 doesn't have. I had a loaner 135 that had an HK system and I didn't care for it. It had way too much boomy bass, even with the bass setting below half. If you like to listen to "urban" music, the HK system might be the way to go. I did like the HK system in my '98 M3.
So, blasting my Metallica and Guns & Roses tracks doesn't qualify as "urban" music, right? LOL....
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

I think it is interesting that people keep saying that the Harmon Kardon system is dissapointing. I find it to be pretty darn good for a OEM stereo. Certainly not as good as Audi and some others offer with their B&O option, but pretty good none the less.

Also, whoever says that the surround option ruins stereo music is not stating the facts correctly. My 2013 X1 with the HK upgrade doesn not change the sound one bit when toggling the surround on and off. It actually does nothing unless you feed the system a surround compatible track. For example, I have a couple of concert DVD's as well as the Audio RIPPED from some concert DVD's and on those, the difference is night and day. Love it or hate it, the surround on mine only works when it is supposed to.

Also, the bass does leave a bit to be desired....specifically, there is too much mid bass (between 100hz and 200hz)....The EQ can help tame this a little, but it will always be an issue. Not horrible mind you, but it is there. Lastly, there absolutely is reasonable output below 50hz....actually down to about 35hz (verified by a test CD) which covers the vast majority of music most people listen to.....definitely flutters the pant legs. That said, the system does restrict the bass as you turn the volume up, so as to preserve the woofers under the front seats. I wish it didn't do it so agressively, bbut it is a pretty impressive system considering the tiny amount of vehicle space that is dedicated to "subwoofers"

I'm glad I upgraded, because compared to the HK, the base system is nearly un-listenable.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Surround setting ruins stereo music. I have mine disabled.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #13
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Very happy with my HK system. Tweaking the eq helps a bit. Noticeably better sounding than the base system, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
Also, whoever says that the surround option ruins stereo music is not stating the facts correctly. My 2013 X1 with the HK upgrade doesn not change the sound one bit when toggling the surround on and off. It actually does nothing unless you feed the system a surround compatible track.
Wrong. It uses "simulated surround" - check the manual, or simply your ears.

This "simulated surround" is pretty much the same as the old Dolby Surround, where sound that's in phase gets subtracted from the side channels and played through the center channel, and sound that's out of phase gets played by the rear speakers. Unfortunately, the first moves the sound from a wall to a point, and the second causes parts of the sound to be way louder than intended.

It kills positional cues - when listening to a piano with bass on one end and treble on the other, it sounds like the piano jumps back and forth instead of a fluid seamless progression.
It also hurts treble, as the center speaker doesn't have tweeters that point at you - you have to do with reflections from the windshield.

Assign Surround On/Off to one of the assignable buttons, and push it a few times while listening to stereo music. Even radio will do. There is no way you can't hear the difference, even if tone deaf.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
Surround setting ruins stereo music. I have mine disabled.
Same here. The HK system isn't half bad for the price. The tweeters are far better than the standard ones, and even though the digital equalizer is kind of steppy, and works on both channels instead of separately, it's much better than nothing. The simulated surround, on the other hand, is downright destructive for much of the treble rich music I listen to, and stays off.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
Wrong. It uses "simulated surround" - check the manual, or simply your ears.

This "simulated surround" is pretty much the same as the old Dolby Surround, where sound that's in phase gets subtracted from the side channels and played through the center channel, and sound that's out of phase gets played by the rear speakers. Unfortunately, the first moves the sound from a wall to a point, and the second causes parts of the sound to be way louder than intended.

It kills positional cues - when listening to a piano with bass on one end and treble on the other, it sounds like the piano jumps back and forth instead of a fluid seamless progression.
It also hurts treble, as the center speaker doesn't have tweeters that point at you - you have to do with reflections from the windshield.

Assign Surround On/Off to one of the assignable buttons, and push it a few times while listening to stereo music. Even radio will do. There is no way you can't hear the difference, even if tone deaf.

Again.....In my Vehicle, the surround setting does nothing unless you feed the system appropriate material. No uncertainty there.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #17
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapman72 View Post
Again.....In my Vehicle, the surround setting does nothing unless you feed the system appropriate material. No uncertainty there.
From the X1 manual, page 161:

"When surround is activated, multi-channel play-back is simulated when a stereo audio track is played."

No, there's no uncertainty there.

I'm surprised you can't hear the difference to the point that you claim there isn't one.
If your ears can't do it, a dollar bill will. Place it over the dashboard center speaker with fans off, surround disabled and the volume cranked up. Now enable surround, and watch what happens.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #18
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
From the X1 manual, page 161:

If your ears can't do it, a dollar bill will. Place it over the dashboard center speaker with fans off, surround disabled and the volume cranked up. Now enable surround, and watch what happens.
Can someone spot me a dollar?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #19
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep

lol
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
FLX1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 28i

I just joined, and am in the process or deciding what to order on my X1. It looks like iDrive is now standard for 2014s that are for US delivery. I am going to order the HK upgrade, which apparently you now can do without also ordering nav, and I am wondering- what's different (in appearance) about the dash/display if you do not get the tech package, and is there any difference in functionality for the HK stereo, or for iPod/phone integration (for music on the phone, not for streaming apps, etc.) without the tech package?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

We listen to a lof of classical music and the HK doesn't do much in that respect.

Our salesman here said that BMW's hifi audio system is actually made by H.K., but to a "not-high-enough" standard for them to put their brand on it. Does anyone know if this is true?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #22
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLX1 View Post
I just joined, and am in the process or deciding what to order on my X1. It looks like iDrive is now standard for 2014s that are for US delivery. I am going to order the HK upgrade, which apparently you now can do without also ordering nav, and I am wondering- what's different (in appearance) about the dash/display if you do not get the tech package, and is there any difference in functionality for the HK stereo, or for iPod/phone integration (for music on the phone, not for streaming apps, etc.) without the tech package?
Well, at a minimum I think you might not be able to set the equalizer values. I'm also unsure whether you'll be able to turn on and off the fake surround.
Appreciate 0