XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
jitterygoat49r
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Angry New X1 in accident!

We have been the proud owners of a 2014 X1 for 32 days. Today, my wife was driving home from work and was rear ended by a soccer Mom driving an old Yukon while talking on the phone. She also had a small child in the car. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Like our previous BMW, I washed it myself every weekend. I planned to baby it like all the cars we've owned. Now, the rear bumper is ripped off, the lift gate is damaged. Only 800 miles on it. I'm so tired of the way people drive in California. Why is everyone in such a hurry? People were actually blowing their horns at my wife and the other driver because they were stopped after the accident! Lord, PLEASE put something in the water supply to calm these idiots down!
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

So sorry to hear about that! If she was really yakking on the phone and THAT can be proved to have caused the accident, you ought to sue that B()*ch !!!

Good that no one was hurt and you have insurance to cover the repairs.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbbuilt View Post
So sorry to hear about that! If she was really yakking on the phone and THAT can be proved to have caused the accident, you ought to sue that B()*ch !!!

Good that no one was hurt and you have insurance to cover the repairs.

Vince.
Calm down. Accidents happen for various reasons and that's why we have insurance. Suing someone in this situation is a waste of time and money. The police are not going to take the time to investigate the cause of the accident. I'm sure she was ticketed and that's all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
not only in california but ny is the same way and im sure its same shiiit in other states. im glad to hear no1 was hurt, car can be replace.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterygoat49r View Post
We have been the proud owners of a 2014 X1 for 32 days. Today, my wife was driving home from work and was rear ended by a soccer Mom driving an old Yukon while talking on the phone. She also had a small child in the car. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Like our previous BMW, I washed it myself every weekend. I planned to baby it like all the cars we've owned. Now, the rear bumper is ripped off, the lift gate is damaged. Only 800 miles on it. I'm so tired of the way people drive in California. Why is everyone in such a hurry? People were actually blowing their horns at my wife and the other driver because they were stopped after the accident! Lord, PLEASE put something in the water supply to calm these idiots down!
"Why is everyone in such a hurry?"
If she was yakking on the phone, she obviously wasn't. She wasn't paying attention, which is a completely different thing, and often mutually exclusive.

If you meant those who honked their horns - well, they weren't the ones causing the accident; so don't shoot them. Perhaps they were honking the horn because the lady and your wife hadn't secured the site of the accident before talking, with a warning triangle, raised hoods, hazard lights, combinations of all of the above, or other methods of letting people know without risking the oncoming drivers.

In any case, accidents suck, but insurance spreads the cost over time so it's bearable. I hope you get it fixed well and quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

In California, you are supposed to move to the shoulder immediately following a minor accident which is likely why people were honking. Spread the word.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Glad no one was injured. Be careful out there, people!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
txchas
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nospam View Post
In California, you are supposed to move to the shoulder immediately following a minor accident which is likely why people were honking. Spread the word.
You should do this in any state! If it is not life threatening....get it off the road and out of everyone's way!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #9
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txchas View Post
You should do this in any state! If it is not life threatening....get it off the road and out of everyone's way!
Yes, and no. If there are broken lights or sharp metal pieces on the road, please don't move the vehicles to the side and leave the dangerous debris - if you cannot clean up enough for it to be safe to drive there without risking yourselves, turn on hazard lights, pop the hood, put on warning vests (if you have them), get out the warning triangles (if you have them), stand to the side, and wait for assistance.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:39 AM   #10
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Calm down. Accidents happen for various reasons and that's why we have insurance. Suing someone in this situation is a waste of time and money. The police are not going to take the time to investigate the cause of the accident. I'm sure she was ticketed and that's all that matters.
"Calm down"??? Distracted driving is #1 cause of accidents and leading cause of fatalities. I ride a motorcycle for commuting, on freeways and city streets. I've lost count of number of times these jerks aren't paying attention, yakking on their phone (I glance at those drivers when they make their "move") and without thought, shift lanes and cut me off. Thank god I have my wits to protect me and an extremely loud horn to wake them up. It's distinct safety hazard and should be penalized. Stop apologizing for those people!

BTW, if jitterygoat, god-forbid, had suffered injuries or fatalities, would you still be so forgiving stating "Accidents happen" and "Suing someone in this situation is a waste of time and money" hmmmm?

Vince.

Last edited by vbbuilt; 05-20-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank god I have my wits to protect me and an extremely loud horn to wake them up.
You have misunderstood what a horn is for and what safety means. If this is your standard behaviour, you cause accidents.

Quote:
BTW, if jitterygoat, god-forbid, had suffered injuries or fatalities, would you still be so forgiving stating "Accidents happen" and "Suing someone in this situation is a waste of time and money" hmmmm?
I'd say yes, no one should be sued.
If someone breaks the law, they should be charged. And insurance companies and society should make sure victims get the help that's needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
You have misunderstood what a horn is for and what safety means. If this is your standard behaviour, you cause accidents.

I'd say yes, no one should be sued.
If someone breaks the law, they should be charged. And insurance companies and society should make sure victims get the help that's needed.
It's obvious you don't ride a motorcycle to make a statement that I don't know what a horn is for. Cagers yakking on phones are distracted and not paying attention to what they're doing. They change lanes without checking their blind spots. I've had to make emergency maneuvers and simultaneously, blast my horn to get their attention. Distracted drivers are DEADLY drivers!

Vince
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #13
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
It's obvious you don't ride a motorcycle to make a statement that I don't know what a horn is for. Cagers yakking on phones are distracted and not paying attention to what they're doing. They change lanes without checking their blind spots. I've had to make emergency maneuvers and simultaneously, blast my horn to get their attention. Distracted drivers are DEADLY drivers!

Vince
I'm with you Vince...I also believe that the louder the motorcycle exhaust the better. People are just not aware of riders. I have personal connections to two riders who died no fault of their own (which is why I don't ride, I need my safety in my own hands as much as possible).
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #14
Michael Schott
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport

Quote:
"Calm down"??? Distracted driving is #1 cause of accidents and leading cause of fatalities. I ride a motorcycle for commuting, on freeways and city streets. I've lost count of number of times these jerks aren't paying attention, yakking on their phone (I glance at those drivers when they make their "move") and without thought, shift lanes and cut me off. Thank god I have my wits to protect me and an extremely loud horn to wake them up. It's distinct safety hazard and should be penalized. Stop apologizing for those people!

Vince.
You are once again overreacting. I'm not defending distracted driving. When did I "apologize for those people"? No doubt it's a problem. That's not the point here. The point is, the OP was in a traffic accident and there is a procedure to deal with this which involved the police and the insurance companies. That's all that needs to happen.

By the way I also have been a motorcycle driver and it's incumbent on that driver to be defensive and watch out for other drivers. It's the risk you take when you ride a bike.
Appreciate 0