XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

01-09-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 - 14 M5

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
X1 Valentine V1 Hardwire

Hey Guys,

I previously hardwired my Valentine V1 to my F10 M5, and it really wasn't that hard. I attempted to do the same on my X1 but found it much more difficult. For starters I couldn't remove the overhead control panel with the sun roof controller and etc. If anyone has attempted and or completely this please let me know how so, its a waste of 500 bucks to have a shop do this when I'm probably just skipping a step.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

V1 Hardwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
Hey Guys,

I previously hardwired my Valentine V1 to my F10 M5, and it really wasn't that hard. I attempted to do the same on my X1 but found it much more difficult. For starters I couldn't remove the overhead control panel with the sun roof controller and etc. If anyone has attempted and or completely this please let me know how so, its a waste of 500 bucks to have a shop do this when I'm probably just skipping a step.
Actually easier then the F10, once you figure out those pesky clips.

There are numerous posts in the forum on how to do this. I did it by using power from the upper console, specifically the wire for the switched 12V to the garage door opener on the mirror.

To drop the console, you have to release the 2 clips in front. Easiest way to do this is to remove (carefully) the black plastic rings around the 2 reading lights. If you look closely up there, towards the windshield, you will see the back of the 2 clips with a gap on the side of each. Take an "L-shaped" paper clip, slide it in the gap and rotate it to pull back each clip and the console will drop from the front. The back of it will slide right out.

I ran the wire across the headliner and out from behind the courtesy light behind the visor so very little is visible when the V1 is mounted on the visor.

Be careful and good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #3
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
Actually easier then the F10, once you figure out those pesky clips.

There are numerous posts in the forum on how to do this. I did it by using power from the upper console, specifically the wire for the switched 12V to the garage door opener on the mirror.

To drop the console, you have to release the 2 clips in front. Easiest way to do this is to remove (carefully) the black plastic rings around the 2 reading lights. If you look closely up there, towards the windshield, you will see the back of the 2 clips with a gap on the side of each. Take an "L-shaped" paper clip, slide it in the gap and rotate it to pull back each clip and the console will drop from the front. The back of it will slide right out.

I ran the wire across the headliner and out from behind the courtesy light behind the visor so very little is visible when the V1 is mounted on the visor.

Be careful and good luck!
I went out and checked this out, mine appears to use an adhesive on the front end of the panel? Do I pull it hoping that it re adheres?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:52 PM   #4
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive28i M Sport

Do you have to power it from the overhead console? I tapped power from the fuse panel (see my thread on fuse locations for switched power). The only issue I'm having is that even with Valentine's Brown Out Booster, my V1 still reboots (beeps) after the auto start turns the engine back on at stop signs or traffic lights. Does the V1 powered by the overhead console briefly lose voltage and reboot with auto start/stop?
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 08:54 PM   #5
WJSM5
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 F10 M5  [0.00]
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
Do you have to power it from the overhead console? I tapped power from the fuse panel (see my thread on fuse locations for switched power). The only issue I'm having is that even with Valentine's Brown Out Booster, my V1 still reboots (beeps) after the auto start turns the engine back on at stop signs or traffic lights. Does the V1 powered by the overhead console briefly lose voltage and reboot with auto start/stop?
On my F10 I have Auto Start Stop programmed off so I don't know but I do know that it turns off with the ACC power not the engine. Wiring to the fuse box isn't a bad idea...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJSM5 View Post
On my F10 I have Auto Start Stop programmed off so I don't know but I do know that it turns off with the ACC power not the engine. Wiring to the fuse box isn't a bad idea...
Hmm, Valentine tested an FXX 3 series in their lot for me and said theirs doesn't reboot when the car auto starts. Mine turns off automatically when I turn the car off, and it remains powered during momentary auto stop, but the voltage drops too low when the car restarts. I read that BMW has a few circuits (headlights, stereo) that don't experience an interruption or voltage drop, I just haven't tried those in the fuse panel yet.

In the interest of science, are you willing to turn your auto stop/start on again on your next drive and report back if your V1 reboots and beeps upon auto restart?
Favorite Former Rides: 11 Ford F-150 Limited | 09 A4 S-Line Avant / 08 Audi TT S-Line / 03 Ford SVT Lightning / 01 Ford SVT Lightning / 93 BMW 740iL / 90 BMW 535iM / 86 Porsche 944 Turbo / 83 Porsche 944

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #7
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBig6 View Post
Hmm, Valentine tested an FXX 3 series in their lot for me and said theirs doesn't reboot when the car auto starts. Mine turns off automatically when I turn the car off, and it remains powered during momentary auto stop, but the voltage drops too low when the car restarts. I read that BMW has a few circuits (headlights, stereo) that don't experience an interruption or voltage drop, I just haven't tried those in the fuse panel yet.

In the interest of science, are you willing to turn your auto stop/start on again on your next drive and report back if your V1 reboots and beeps upon auto restart?
When drawing the power from the overhead console (actually from the HomeLink) the V1 does recycle when the auto-start/stop kicks in.

Adhesive on the upper console? Have never seen that. I have a 2014 e84 and there is no adhesive, just the clips.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #8
BMWBig6
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanintx View Post
When drawing the power from the overhead console (actually from the HomeLink) the V1 does recycle when the auto-start/stop kicks in.
Thanks for the data point! I'll report back if I find a circuit in the fuse panel that doesn't recycle the V1 during auto stop/starts. Right now it doesn't bother me enough to worry about fiddling with it in the cold garage yet.
Appreciate 0