XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Discussions

09-29-2015, 06:15 AM   #1
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25d M-Sport 2012

Annoying sound from dashboard on passenger side...

Hi. Does anyone else have an annoying sound from dashboard on passenger side when car body temperature raises? Mine does on every time when outside temperature is above +15 degrees celsius. I think that car body temperature raises and metal expands. On every bumb my dashboard gives loud creaking sound. How can I fix this? Is there some screws which can be loosen or what?

Sorry my bad english, I hope that you understand what I mean...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
andybmr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x1 xdrive 28i

I have the same sound that comes and go. At times i sound like coming from the dashboard passenger side at times feel like its coming from right front shock. Took it to dealer once and they told me slow down on the bumps. LOL....I think theres just to many plastic parts on the X1. I just crank up radio...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Have someone else drive while you're in the passenger seat and try to locate the exact source of the sound. If it's indeed the dashboard you can try and fill the seams where the dash is rubbing with a thin sheet of rubber or foam - anything that will dampen the motion.

Otherwise take it to the dealer and demand that this isn't BMW quality you paid for.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
Shock96
That was a hell of a thing...
Rep
Drives: 2013 xDrive 35i M Sport

I had the same sound coming from the driver side dash. Creaking when applying the brakes. On and off both.

Took it to the dealer and they put in some felt tape to keep it from making noise.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 01:42 AM   #5
louisli
Rep
Drives: X1 2011 X25I

you have to buy 3M a liquid solvent, usually used for plastic creak.
usually in auto dealer you can find it to reduce noise,

if the sound coming out from the loosen screws, you have better buy a new set of screws (new screws each has a "O" shape thin cloth as a noise reduced ring, cost very cheap in internet, which can help sound reduction)

so first you have to figure out what the sound coming out.
fo your information, my X1 has no noise, after i did several jobs.

sometimes very crazy, for example my wife put a broadview rear mirror, the sound comes from the crack of new & old mirror vibration, but at the begining also i misunderstand its from the dashboard inside. so now i add some thing inside the 2 mirrors, then no sound
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:41 PM   #6
E30_Crazy
Rep
Drives: 2014 X-Line 35i

I had a sound, that would only happen after getting fully warmed up, and when I came to a stop with the wheels pointed to the right. Ended up being the oil cooler lines just touching the back of the right headlight housing, making a buzzing sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

Sorry for the grunt but thought I'd put it all out here I'm sick of these intermittent rattlings on my X1 as well . Some goes away but most have to be taken to dealer for a fix. I'm more worried after my warranty expires - car will be older and God knows how many more rattles will start making its way through. To make it worst I installed center console DVD which added extra sth to rattle in the car. I had to install some felt tape to stop it from rattling. Took to dealer for rattling from the front passenger air-vent and the trims next to A/C (this trim creaked so sharp and only used to occur during the 1st hour of driving. Then it would stop .) Took to dealer for the squeaks that were coming from pressing the throttle pedal. Had to visit dealer twice for this. First time they stopped it but it started back the same afternoon. 2nd time they said they took the whole unit or sth out and oiled it. Touch wood! around a year has passed since and it hasn't squeaked yet. On some bumps the dash sounds like the plastics are breaking from within. No premium feeling at all . I had rattles from the driver side A/C trim as well but then it stopped. And today, suddenly, there was rattling from the driver side door handle or air-vent or somewhere (just couldn't pin point it) on my way back home. Stopped and had a look but couldn't find anything obvious so took off. Then later it just stopped.

jaeezzy...

Last edited by jaeezzy; 11-05-2015 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 03:40 AM   #8
GrantE83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

I have a noise from the passenger side (I'm RHD) but Ironically this is my timing chain.

But I do have an interior creaking coming from the drivers side and it is very annoying when I want to drive with no music!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #9
Misterted
Maniac with a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330 X-Drive

Just chiming in here.
I have a creek coming from the passenger side only when it's hot outside. I do not get it in the winter.
Mine is coming from the front passenger side air conditioning vent.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #10
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I have the same "pop" noise almost like a suction of sorts coming loose and hitting a wall. I have noticed mostly when it's warm out, not so much in the winter.
Appreciate 0