XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #23
HoTiCE_
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian eh! View Post
Ordered Rial Salerno 17x8 wheels from TireRack in a 29ET offset with 225/50-17 pirelli winter sottozero series 2 runflats on them.

Not the cheapest option out there, but I like the fact that the wheels are spun cast and TUV rated, made in Germany. No spare tire means that for winter peace off mind the Runflat was worth it to me. To top it off they take a stock centre cap so the wheels look factory.

I have test fit them but not mounted them for the season yet (still not cold enough thank god!!) but I will take some pics in two weeks when I mount them up for the season.

Having test fit them, they fit perfectly, but JUST clearing the front brake rotor! So be careful on 17" wheels as not all may clear the brakes!!! The offset on the 17x8 is only 1 mm off from my stock sport package 18x8's up front (29 vs. 30 for an 8 inch wide wheel on the front) so no real difference. The rears also work well(et30 on the 8 inch wide wheel vs. et40 on the stock 9 inch in the rear) being narrower but running well within parameters, so no fitment issues at all. Stock 17x7.5 wheels all around are et34 so they run placed slightly further into the wheel well. I would have ideally picked the 7.5" wide wheels for the extra rim protection, but Tirerack have not imported them, although they should be available in Europe.

For anyone who is interested in BMW trivia, the stock 18" sport package y-spoke wheels are marked as made by Ronal Germany on the back.

One weird thing is do not tell tire rack that you want them for an X1 on the phone or they will refuse your order!!! They do not have X1's in the states and for "liability" reasons they would not sell me them as they had not tested them themselves!! I ordered online pretending to be a 2009 528i base model and selected the wheels and tires through that. Careful here though as the wheels I ordered are also available for a 528i with a 20mm ET offset. These will stick out WAY TOO far for an X1!!

I had checked the Rial website in germany and my fitment listed above is an approved fitment for the X1 by TUV and the wheel manufacturer so I felt safe in ordering.
Hey did you put them on your cars yet?

Waiting on you before I pull the trigger Did you get them silver or anthracite black?

My X1 is space gray and still debating...on color
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #24
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440xi Gran Coupe!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTiCE_ View Post
Hey did you put them on your cars yet?

Waiting on you before I pull the trigger Did you get them silver or anthracite black?

My X1 is space gray and still debating...on color
Not on yet, still pretty warm around my area.

I ordered the silver, so I can't help on the anthracite option (personally I think it would be a bit too much of a tone on tone) I did have anthracite factory wheels on my Audi A3 which was lava grey, a VERY dark grey, most people thought it was black and they looked sweet on it....so

I will try and get you some photo's if i have a chance.

But they look good, very factory and with the five spoke design, they should be very easy to clean.

They only took four business days to arrive, so you can hold off for a bit longer!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:46 AM   #25
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

Bit the bullet

Well, BMW's package price on Style 317 rims and Wintersport M3's RFT's were the clincher. The price was great, and I LOVE the Wintersport M3...phenomenal tire.

X1 arrives later this month and will post impressions when we see snow.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:05 AM   #26
HoTiCE_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2thdr View Post
Well, BMW's package price on Style 317 rims and Wintersport M3's RFT's were the clincher. The price was great, and I LOVE the Wintersport M3...phenomenal tire.

X1 arrives later this month and will post impressions when we see snow.
cheapest BMW quoted me here in Montreal were 2300$ + tax
This was with sup-par winter tires too...

I'm voting with my wallet and going tirerack way.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #27
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoTiCE_ View Post
cheapest BMW quoted me here in Montreal were 2300$ + tax
This was with sup-par winter tires too...

I'm voting with my wallet and going tirerack way.
Never ever buy from a BMW dealer unless you have to. Probably anybody else will be cheaper for tires.
      11-02-2011, 08:29 AM   #28
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Never ever buy from a BMW dealer unless you have to. Probably anybody else will be cheaper for tires.
Coming from an 2011 X5 which we currently have, buying rims and tires for this car is downright cheap.

$2250 out here for rims and run flat winter rubber is a good price as I see it, already mounted and balanced. I have tire and rim coverage and having a BMW approved package works well with that. I usually piece together my own packages and, had I done so, I definitely would have just gone with an 18" staggered set up, stripping the summer rubber off of my 18" spoke rims. But it is nearly impossible to find a GOOD set of winter rubber that is run flat in the 225/45/18 and 255/40/18 size. I travel to BC often in the winter and need the run flat back up. Definitely options in that size, but not run flat.

I would be surprised if you came in appreciably below that price for a comparable tire and rim from tirerack. The shipping and taxes will be the equalizing factor I suspect.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #29
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper/ BMW X1 i28

i got quote from Montreal's OEMconcept the following:

with Pirelli winter carving edge XL:
$1450+tax (-$40 by mail-in-rebate)

with Continental Winter Contact TS830 XL:
$1580+tax (-$110 by mail-in-rebate)

with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT N:
$1585+tax (-$80 by mail-in-rebate)

with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70:
$1575+tax (-$50 by mail-in-rebate)

with Michelin X-ice Xi2:
$1580+tax (-$60 by mail-in-rebate)

RUNFLAT OPTION:

with Pirelli Sottozeros Series II Runflats:
$1810+tax (-$50 by mail-in-rebate)
==========
Then I check the pirelli Sottozeros 210 II RFT myself, they are around 300$++ locally.
The M3 replica are about 130$each.

Tirerack sales the pirelli too, with similar package, I'm paying 1800$ tax in.
Not bad?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Those are good prices. Check the reviews on the Sottozeros, though, as my recollection of reviews on the 240 series is that they are not so hot in deep snow, which I imagine you get a lot of in Montreal. I wish we all had more choice in terms of sizes and brands with the RFTs.

A friend of mine with a German repair shop said that a BMW rep told him that they were seeing an increase in hair line fractures in rims that were meant to support RFT's, but which were being shod with non-RFT tires. Not sure if the converse is true, if we put RFT's on either knock offs or factory rims not meant for RFT's?

Oh well. Really like the look of the parallel 5 spokes in your pics.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
HoTiCE_
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
i got quote from Montreal's OEMconcept the following:

with Pirelli winter carving edge XL:
$1450+tax (-$40 by mail-in-rebate)

with Continental Winter Contact TS830 XL:
$1580+tax (-$110 by mail-in-rebate)

with Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT N:
$1585+tax (-$80 by mail-in-rebate)

with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-70:
$1575+tax (-$50 by mail-in-rebate)

with Michelin X-ice Xi2:
$1580+tax (-$60 by mail-in-rebate)

RUNFLAT OPTION:

with Pirelli Sottozeros Series II Runflats:
$1810+tax (-$50 by mail-in-rebate)
==========
Then I check the pirelli Sottozeros 210 II RFT myself, they are around 300$++ locally.
The M3 replica are about 130$each.

Tirerack sales the pirelli too, with similar package, I'm paying 1800$ tax in.
Not bad?
I got the exact same quote from OEMConcept. Prices are good, I checked, their rims are REPLIKA brands (replika.ca) and made in Japan.

They do NOT however have the eh2+ (extended hump) hump profile on the wheels.

Pirelli actually recommends EH or EH2+ hump profiles on the wheels for their tires. Friend of mine did some research and told me that its not only the fit on the wheels but also how the tire will hold in case of a blown incident on the road.

The one from TireRack that CanadianEH mentionned are Rial Salerno built in Germany. They boast the EH2+ profile and according to rial.de, they fit X1s

Comes to just a bit under 2000$ tax/duty/shipping included on Tirerack

CanadianEH also test fitted them and they go on perfect. Not sure about the ones from OEMConcept. (not saying they don't)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #32
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

How much of a offset I should shop for my wheels?
Can anyone tell me if +20mm offset ok for the X1?
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 09:56 AM   #33
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

I'm looking at some 3series 17" wheels, do you think they will fit our X1?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:07 PM   #34
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoyuji View Post
How much of a offset I should shop for my wheels?
Can anyone tell me if +20mm offset ok for the X1?
Factory 17x 7.5" wheels are a 34mm offset.
Factory 18x 8 front wheel is 30 offset, factory rear 18x 9 is 40 mm offset.

20 is too much in my opinion, they will possibly fit, (x1 wheel wells are huge) but you will put extra stress on the bearings and in my opinion they will stick out way too far. The most you should go down from 34 is to 29 or 30 but on an 8 inch wheel only.

BMW 3 series wheels for an e90 series will work, but check the offsets. E46 wheels are too much offset the other way at around 45mm ET, they will hit the suspension struts on the inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 08:44 AM   #35
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Really depends in which country you are in. Everything is bloody expensive here but BMW were actually the cheapest option for my X1 last year. Just done the same (winter tyres) for my Mini Cooper and again I could not get the tyre/rim package cheaper anywhere else. If you also take into account that they store the alternative set for you at no charge it becomes a no-brainer.

PS: Just for interest the Mini now wears Pirelli W190 Snowcontrols. No snow yet though, quite mild still here.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #36
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Really depends in which country you are in. Everything is bloody expensive here but BMW were actually the cheapest option for my X1 last year. Just done the same (winter tyres) for my Mini Cooper and again I could not get the tyre/rim package cheaper anywhere else. If you also take into account that they store the alternative set for you at no charge it becomes a no-brainer.

PS: Just for interest the Mini now wears Pirelli W190 Snowcontrols. No snow yet though, quite mild still here.
In North america, the dealer will be by far more expensive.

My Rial Salerno 17x8 EH2+ german made spun cast wheels mounted with Pirelli Sottozero winter 210 Runflat tires were $1900 all in tax, duty paid shipped to my door.

BMW wants over $2500 tax in for steel wheels with Dunlop runflats. Equivalent alloy wheel 17" package was about $3000 tax in on pirelli's.

So there are big savings to be had on factory quality wheels sets. You can do better as noted above in a few posts, but the wheels will not IMHO be of the same quality, but will be cheap chinese knockoffs.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 12:48 PM   #37
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
In North america, the dealer will be by far more expensive.

My Rial Salerno 17x8 EH2+ german made spun cast wheels mounted with Pirelli Sottozero winter 210 Runflat tires were $1900 all in tax, duty paid shipped to my door.

BMW wants over $2500 tax in for steel wheels with Dunlop runflats. Equivalent alloy wheel 17" package was about $3000 tax in on pirelli's.

So there are big savings to be had on factory quality wheels sets. You can do better as noted above in a few posts, but the wheels will not IMHO be of the same quality, but will be cheap chinese knockoffs.
Can you post few pictures from your X1 with Rial wheels on it ? Thanks

Last edited by dinamo; 11-05-2011 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #38
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamo View Post
Can you post few pictures from your X1 with Rial wheels on it ? Thanks
Your timing of this question is good!! I mounted them up for the winter this afternoon, beautiful day for it today!

To repeat from my posts above these are Rial Salerno 17x8 inch wheels 29ET offset all around with 225/50-17 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 210 runflat tires.

Good looking combination I think!!

There is very little clearance between the inside of the wheel rim and the caliper!! maybe 5-8mm max!! 16 inch wheels need not apply!

The factory offset of an 8 inch wheel is 30et, these are 29et so they stick out a whopping 1 additional mm no real difference from stock.

Rear wheel look along the body, nicely centred in the opening, versus the stock 9 inch rear wheel in the next photo

Stock 9 inch rear look, remember this is a wider wheel with 255 rubber!!

Overall I am very happy Great fit and finish, they bolt right on with provided bolts (which are a bit longer than stock, due to the bolt depth in the wheel), they are hub centric at 72.5mm centre bore, they are EH2+ runflat tire compatible, my factory centre caps popped right in and they look like a factory wheel!!

In fact the 18" version of these mounted up with equal size summer tires all around would be a very nice looking and handling upgrade for those without the sport package!

Last edited by Canadian eh!; 11-05-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #39
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks bud !

I'm ordering it right now @ Tirerack ..
      11-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #40
Canadian eh!
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamo View Post
Thanks bud !

I'm ordering it right now @ Tirerack ..
Glad to help!

Just make sure you get the 29ET wheels. not the 20ET's!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #41
dinamo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Glad to help!

Just make sure you get the 29ET wheels. not the 20ET's!!
Yep , I did look at Rial website already and 29ETs are only certified by TUV
for using it with X1. Original offset is 34mm.
      11-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #42
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

I did buy from my dealer but I had negotiated a 250 $ cash rebate (which was offered by montreal bmw dealers at the BME xDrive event last june). With the purchase of a new vehicle BMW was given 250 $ off for tires. So, I went for the 17" alloys Star-Spoke 317 at 2480 $ before taxes. i know I could have found a better deal but time was an issue since november is already here and snow will arrive soon. The Dunlop's wintersport M3 are looking really good and should be a blast to drive. At this price you should think they ( BMW ) would provide you with 4 new Center cap ... ? Hell nope ! Another 16 $ each on amazon.com ... Money money money. Glad this set will last a couple years :-))

Last edited by loukas135; 11-06-2011 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #43
ohnoyuji
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loukas135 View Post
I did buy from my dealer but I had negotiated a 250 $ cash rebate (which was offered by montreal bmw dealers at the BME xDrive event last june). With the purchase of a new vehicle BMW was given 250 $ off for tires. So, I went for the 17" alloys Star-Spoke 317 at 2480 $ before taxes. i know I could have found a better deal but time was an issue since november is already here and snow will arrive soon. The Dunlop's wintersport M3 are looking really good and should be a blast to drive. At this price you should think they ( BMW ) would provide you with 4 new Center cap ... ? Hell nope ! Another 16 $ each on amazon.com ... Money money money. Glad this set will last a couple years :-))
Didn't you use it for your car purchase?
I used it, and it worth 500$....
The dealer for those M3 Dunlop are a steal... IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #44
loukas135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Instead of using it ( I was out of date though the offer ended august 31th) I had successfully negotiated a 3 % escount on the vehicle and 250 $ on the tire set.

With carcostcanada.com you can purchase some infos ( dealer costs ) on a vehicle and all pkgs. So, with a "hard" negos I was able to "cut" in their 8 % ( in fact 8.7 % on the car and 8% on all pkgs) profit by 3%. Not bad.

I recommend this tool to everybody in the process of buying a new car.

You can also know all incentives programs and % loan rates.

So, you can see if the dealer is fair when he gives you some cash rebate. Sometimes they offer you 1000 $ for example when the Manufacturer incentives is actually 1800 $. In a case like this the dealer is getting 800 $ of your money. CarcostCanada.com is a solid tool that everybody should know about ...
Appreciate 0