XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-21-2015, 06:59 PM   #1
msweeney23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x128i

Question Alright, stock 2014 x1 xdrive28i what to do?

(Long-read YAWN appreciate it if anyone actually bothers to view it).

* Full upgrades except audio system premium electronics, roof, cold weather package (maybe that's why the rear suspension rattles in winter), etc. etc. AWD.

Car is lovely except for poor interior seems horribly cheap compared to 3 series and some suspension noises clunks, bangs, rattles from rear in winter.

Otherwise it handles great and surges forth in a wonderful manner.

However, I feel there is more to this car than meets the eye. I feel the engine is not being allowed to reach it's full potential and I would like to make some changes:

* ECU upgrade or some similar device to provide more PSI boost while remaining under warranty and in safe zone. JB4? No idea what this is some kind of hack to trick boost levels? Probably have a professional install/tune this.

* Cold air/Ram intake I want to hear the *whoosh* of the engine sucking in air not just the turbo whine. Can do this myself.

* Suspension tweaks or mods. My rear suspension rattles like a tin of bolts in the winter (minnesota) I'm assuming end-links but any other thoughts? I can do all this work myself.

* The stock rear exhaust is the ugliest part of this admittedly ugly car (for a BMW) what can I do to improve the looks without resorting to an entire replacement or conversion to one exhaust on either side. I can likely do some of this myself, but I don't have access to a full lift so...mmmph.

* Stock tires on 18-inch wheels are a ton of crap I need something better but not ridiculously priced. I'll have BMW motorwerks do this it's expensive but they pay up for any wheel damage without question.

* Need a good tint job Minnesota has limits on front-windows but I can probably get a prescription due to migraine headaches so I want a TOP NOTCH job any suggestions (I'm not doing it myself).

* Driver side door sounds like a 20 year old Chevy when closed, the passenger side door does not. What the heck is going on here? Any adjustments I can make to improve it back to expected 'BMW' levels.

* Stock Brakes suck. And I mean really dangerously bad during cold season, I contacted BMW NA about this and they said 'call the dealer' but the research I've done pretty much shows the factory discs are crap and likely the whole caliper assembly needs to be thrown out and replaced.

* I want to place the car in a crusher and carefully squeeze it down a few inches, maybe even 6 or so. At the same time I want the sides to expand out. I demand this to happen even though it is completely insane but I'm not prepared to cut a 2 year old BMW and flare out the sides, wider wheels etc. Why did they make this model so tall it just looks... well, blegh! Is there anything at all that can be done?

* Some a-hole decided to park to close and repeatedly bash their door into the side of my car. This was probably on purpose because I tend to park in the furthest possible spot away from any other cars or shopping trolleys etc. So now I have several dents with paint removal BMW quoted me a $100 or so that seems reasonable. Any cheap effective alternative.

* I want to rip out the crappy low-powered stock sound system and replace it with something that can achieve higher power and full range. I don't want a stupid car rattling BASS setup that's just juvenile. Can I do this while retaining the on-board sounds for NAV/warnings etc? I'm an expert with electronics and [proper] car audio systems and can do this work myself, but only if I don't have to sacrifice the on-board sounds.

Anything else that can be suggested? I've had my time with wheel spacers in the past and suffered the consequences of broken rack and pinion steering due to over-backlash and destroyed wheel bearings so I'm just not that enthusiastic about it anymore.

Well there you go a total newbie to BMW but well aware of the power hidden in this car just waiting to be unleashed.

Either that or I'll trade up to a 3-series with proper rear wheel drive and be done with it.

Cheers!

Matt

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I think you should save yourself the trouble and trade it in.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
X1Denver
niner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 X1 Alpine Xdrive35i M

Maybe move? Sounds cold. Is it summer yet?

This should help with the ram air install:

Jk. Do some searches on jb4 and intakes. And take your car in rattles and door.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Is your car payed off? If not I would spend the money to pay the car off before making upgrades. If you are looking for cheaper alternatives than 100 dollars to fix a dent I don't know where you would go. 100 dollars seems pretty cheap. Especially for someone who is saying they want to make a ton of upgrades.

Also what makes the X1 not have proper rear wheel drive? I am not a fan of the current three series but if you feel that is better go for it. I doubt many of your complaints will be solved. I find the 3 series sedan ugly inside and out. Looks more like a Toyota than a BMW but get what makes you happy. Perhaps you mean the 3 series wagon which is actually decent looking.

Trading in a car that you only have had two years seems like a bad financial decision but it is your debt. Maybe you should try another brand if you do.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 09:58 PM   #5
improvius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 X28i

As mentioned in the other forum: Continental ExtremeContact are what I'd suggest for summer tires. Great performance, low road noise, and still less harsh of a ride than the runflats.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
From what it sounds like, trading up to an M4 is what you really need to do. They're cheap for financing right now.
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 12:21 AM   #7
msweeney23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 x128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
From what it sounds like, trading up to an M4 is what you really need to do. They're cheap for financing right now.
Ahhh I wish!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2015, 07:42 AM   #8
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Brake trouble in the cold? You mean a lack of bite when the brakes are cold?

You can remedy the problem with different pads. There's nothing wrong with your brakes otherwise. More than enough stopping power to engage your abs. You have issues with the initial bite, which is largely a pad issue.
Appreciate 0