Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello all,

I have a wonderful beige garage floor but since I bought the X1 my floor si kinda black where the X1 tires run. I had all kind of cars and none of them leave marks. I was even thinking that the car might be heavier but my Jaguar is similar and I have no marks. Is this a common thing to RFT?

I have a hard time cleaning that and it drives me nuts, I want to order new tires.

Did you guys experience this?

Thanks.

PS. I forgot to mention: I am running Good Year Eagle RFT.

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-01-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Doesn't seem to be unique to RFT's. I normally equate it to softer, sportier tires. My old car had Michelin PS2's and Michelin PSS's that lifted the paint from my old garage floor, and also left black spots on my current concrete floor. Our previous 1er came on RFT's and left black marks with those and with the replacement non RFT's too.

Are your Goodyears summer tires? What about the Jag's tires? I find that all season or snow tires don't seem to leave nearly as much behind as pure summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Hello Red,

The Jaguar runs on all-season Michelin MXV4.
The X1 runs with the all-season Good Year that was equiped from day one.

I am on the verge of ordering new 18" M wheels for the x1 225/45-18 all arround and order High Performance All Season. Which ones are the best in your opinion? I am looking at Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Hello Red,

The Jaguar runs on all-season Michelin MXV4.
The X1 runs with the all-season Good Year that was equiped from day one.

I am on the verge of ordering new 18" M wheels for the x1 225/45-18 all arround and order High Performance All Season. Which ones are the best in your opinion? I am looking at Potenza RE970AS Pole Position.

Thanks
When you say "M" wheels, do you mean the 18" twin spoke wheels that are standard on the M Sport in the US? I'm asking because the M Sport wheels are staggered, so you can't run the same size tires on all four corners.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HottRodW View Post
When you say "M" wheels, do you mean the 18" twin spoke wheels that are standard on the M Sport in the US? I'm asking because the M Sport wheels are staggered, so you can't run the same size tires on all four corners.
Yes, the double spoke M ones, I will order them all in 18 not staggered. You can order them in this way as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the double spoke M ones, I will order them all in 18 not staggered. You can order them in this way as well.
Gotcha! So basically four "fronts". Actually not a bad way to go. You lose the staggered look, but you will be able to rotate and, at least in theory, the car should understeer less. Plus the wheels and tires will be cheaper. Smart.

I've never owned the Potenzas, but I've heard good things. The Conti ExtremeContact DWS is also a good tire. I keep waiting for Michelin to update the Pilot A/S.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
I keep waiting for Michelin to update the Pilot A/S.
Ha, they seem stuck on that old model, which is what my wife's 135i was on. They actually work really well, they're not PSS's by any stretch, but gave up very little warm weather performance to the stock Bridgestone RE-050's and were much better in the cold and light snow.

I'm not a fan of Bridgestone tires, but have driven the Conti DWS and like them quite a bit for an all season.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Hmm, happy with the Pilot on my previous car, however, my suggestion is based on the tirerack reviews; that's all...
The Jag works wonders with the Michelin, very happy with them. I always liked Michelin.

Yes, non staggered 4 "front" wheels so I can run summer/winter, rotate them and have access to a wider selection of tires. The tires for X1 are only few...
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #9
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, happy with the Pilot on my previous car, however, my suggestion is based on the tirerack reviews; that's all...
The Jag works wonders with the Michelin, very happy with them. I always liked Michelin.

Yes, non staggered 4 "front" wheels so I can run summer/winter, rotate them and have access to a wider selection of tires. The tires for X1 are only few...
I love the staggered look, but I was also concerned about tire selection so I did a lot of research before I ordered my car. Unless something new hits the market, DWS's will be going on my car when the runflats wear out (or wear me out). The 19" staggered fitment is extremely limited, and all-seasons aren't even an option - at least not from Tire Rack. As much as I like the look, I won't buy a wheel if I can't find an acceptable tire option.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I love the staggered look, but I was also concerned about tire selection so I did a lot of research before I ordered my car. Unless something new hits the market, DWS's will be going on my car when the runflats wear out (or wear me out). The 19" staggered fitment is extremely limited, and all-seasons aren't even an option - at least not from Tire Rack. As much as I like the look, I won't buy a wheel if I can't find an acceptable tire option.
That's my point too. This is why I have choose this way.
I am switching to 18 M because I can not wash the wheels properly and I am not a gynecologist...
So you are towards Continental Extreme Contact? Did you run these on snow before?
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #11
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's my point too. This is why I have choose this way.
I am switching to 18 M because I can not wash the wheels properly and I am not a gynecologist...
So you are towards Continental Extreme Contact? Did you run these on snow before?
I have not run the DWS's in the snow. I deal with lake effects, so I run dedicated winters.

You won't find many here in the US, but the Nokian WRG2 is rumored to be the ultimate performance all-season tire. I considered them for our Q5, but ended up going with the Hakka R winter tire instead. I then considered them for winter use on the X1, but instead went with Pilot Alpin PA3's. Someday I'll give them a try.

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=1...me=Nokian+WRG2

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

A friend of mine has an Audi A8 and he is always running on Nokian. He is saying that they are unbeatable.
The problem is they don't come with the X1 dimensions, otherwise I will most likely consider them.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #13
HotRodW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A friend of mine has an Audi A8 and he is always running on Nokian. He is saying that they are unbeatable.
The problem is they don't come with the X1 dimensions, otherwise I will most likely consider them.
The Nokian US website shows a direct fitment. Finding a local dealer may be a challenge, however. I had to drive an hour to get our Hakka SUV winters.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The Nokian US website shows a direct fitment. Finding a local dealer may be a challenge, however. I had to drive an hour to get our Hakka SUV winters.
Yes, for the 18" wheels they are available. When I was considering them I was looking for the actual 17" wheels.

Anyway, I was wondering: These WRG2, are they noisy?
I would like very good in summer and winter (not possible I know) so good will work, but silent and without leaving marks on my floor? I am not pretentious, am I?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2022, 10:43 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Just wanted to provide an up-to-date resolution to the main problem of this thread: rubber marks on the floor.

It proved that those original Good Year RFT that the care came with were terible.
I have replaced them with Continental DWS and my stainig floor problem went away.

I am at my fourth set of Continental DWS and never looked back.
Appreciate 0