XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
xxnsra
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

X1 Sound System with a different radio.

Hi there,

This is my first time in this forum. I'm from Brazil but the BMW's forum here is too damn quiet, almost noone posts. So, I googled and got here. It seems a very energetic forum.

If possible, I need some help about the bmw x1 sound system. Here in Brazil my model is a BMW X1 2012 SDRIVE 18i (I don't know if exists this model in other countries. Maybe you call E84.) But since the beginning i've never liked the sound system of the car. It lacks power and quality.

I've used for a long time the stock sound system, which is a business bmw radio, 2 tweeters and 2 speakers in the front, and 2 speakers in the back.

Recently i installed a gps/bluetooth/radio/tv system. Exactly like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-X1-E84-C...item338f93b269

You can see that this system replaces the original radio (mine was a business bmw radio). But the speakers are still the same.

Before the new system, i could stand the sound, but now it's impossible. The quality is horrible, the volume got way down compared with before, and now distort easily in high volumes (which is not very high now).

My question is: How can i improve this system? In volume and quality.

I saw some users here talking very good about the Focal IFBMW speakers, and others about the Bavsound (but in the bavsound website i didn't find a product for the BMW X1).

But, can i get a better sound just installing this new speakers? Everyone in the forum said that have noticed a considerable difference between the stock and the new speakers, but in my case i changed the original radio for a horrible one. So, do i have to install an amplifier or audio processor? Or it's not necessary?

Any help is welcome. I'm very lost and i don't understand much about sound systems.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
xxnsra
Rep

Anyone?

Even a comment is welcome. Really need some help.

In Brazil everything is too expensive. I can't allow me to spend a lot of money in something i don't know will work.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
JFU
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7

The problem is probably caused by the change in the "radio". I'm unsure if the quality of the new part that you put in is any good, so my guess is that the speakers aren't the only limiting factor here.

The signal going to the amp is probably worse with your new setup than what came from factory. If you want to improve volume, try and upgrade your amplifier, which should be in your trunk underneath the floorboards.

For best audio quality though, I would go back to the original radio, upgrade the amp, and upgrade the speakers.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #4
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i

As long as your new head unit has line-out amplifier outputs, you can retain it. However, the above advice to upgrade the amp and speakers still applies. Your English is better than many native speakers, in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
xxnsra
Rep

Unfortunately i liked too much the new dvd/gps/tv/bluetooth system. So i don't want to go the original radio again.

I was thinking: This new system has a RCA output. Maybe if i connect an amplifier (any brand suggestions?) in this output, and replaces the speakers for the Focal ones, will do the job?

I'm afraid the output sound quality of the system is so poor, that the amplifier will only amplifiy a horrible sound. Then, even if a change the speakers too, i'll not have a good sound.

Does it make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
Your English is better than many native speakers, in my experience.
Thank you very much. It means a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxnsra View Post
Unfortunately i liked too much the new dvd/gps/tv/bluetooth system. So i don't want to go the original radio again.

I was thinking: This new system has a RCA output. Maybe if i connect an amplifier (any brand suggestions?) in this output, and replaces the speakers for the Focal ones, will do the job?

I'm afraid the output sound quality of the system is so poor, that the amplifier will only amplifiy a horrible sound. Then, even if a change the speakers too, i'll not have a good sound.

Does it make sense?

Thank you very much. It means a lot.
You have to be sure of the RCA's being line-level or amplified. You need to bypass the internal amplifier. I'm not an audio expert, and therefore I cannot give a recommendation of any compatible brands. It may be different in US spec. cars, as well. I didn't know the standard system was called "business radio", but that's what I have, and I find it satisfactory. When I finally get off run-flat tires, it may sound bad to me, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
TrueRedi3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3

I browsed through the ebay listing and did not see any specifications for the RCA outputs. My guess is your problem is with the speaker level outputs. The "45 watt" output is being sent thru the existing amp which is probably being overdriven and causing the speakers to clip. Try turning all of the EQ adjustments all the way down and see if the sound cleans up any. I'm not sure, but you could also look to see if you can adjust the gains on the stock amp. Let me know what you find.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
xxnsra
Rep

Before the installation, i looked what was written in the labels in the radio, and it was saying "RCA Output" somewhere. Therefore, i believe i can connect the amplifier there.

About being line-level or amplified, i don't know anything about that. Is there a kind of rca output that i can't connect the amplifier?

TrueRedX1,

If i turn the EQ adjustments all the way down the sound will not distort. But, the problem is that this volume is too low with this eq adjustments. The stock radio can perform a much higher volume and without distort (deform? idk how you say this). So, the problem is in the new system, not in the speakers.

And, i have another problem, that even in low volumes, the sound quality doesn't please me. That's why i thought about change the speakers too.

Maybe i can try this method:

1) First install an amplifier, connected to the rca output.

If this is not good enough,

2) Change the speakers.

If this is not good enough,

3) Install a slim subwoofer

Do you guys think is a good idea? Or probably i can't get a higher quality without an audio processor?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #9
zeevette
Unllicensed
United_States
Rep

The RCA outputs should be line level, and a good amplifier would be a big help in achieving clearer, louder sound, with any speakers, but.... If you didn't like their sound before, you won't after adding an amp. Also systems work better if the components are matched, and thus, it would be better to buy amplifier and speakers that are well matched. BTW, "distort" is the verb form, and "distortion" is the noun version in English. I'm ashamed to admit that I had to reference how to spell Portuguese, so you're way ahead of me in linguistic abilities.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
xxnsra
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeevette View Post
The RCA outputs should be line level, and a good amplifier would be a big help in achieving clearer, louder sound, with any speakers, but.... If you didn't like their sound before, you won't after adding an amp. Also systems work better if the components are matched, and thus, it would be better to buy amplifier and speakers that are well matched. BTW, "distort" is the verb form, and "distortion" is the noun version in English. I'm ashamed to admit that I had to reference how to spell Portuguese, so you're way ahead of me in linguistic abilities.
Omg, "distortion", of course!

About Portuguese, it's way more difficult than english. And not used much, so you are okay. I just think it is funny that almost everyone outside brazil think we speak spanish or portuguese like in portugal. But it's different.

Going back to the problem, i agree about the components must match.

In a quick research here i found many Focal amplifiers. Any suggestions which one is recommended for the IFBMW-S speakers?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
TrueRedi3
Private
Rep

I have not looked at a wiring diagram for the X1 but is it easy to bypass the stock am and see how the head unit sounds by itself? It might save you some money if the issue is with the head unit itself.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
TrueRedi3
Private
Rep

Also, please check out this web page. Specifically the area with the picture of the clipped sine wave. This is what I think may be happening to you.

http://www.audioholics.com/audio-amp...r-voltage-gain

Regards
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #13
xxnsra
Rep

Thank you for the article. It was very helpful.

I have 100% sure that the problem is the head unit.

I'll look what is the output voltage of it and then sees which amplifier is a good choice.

The article was good because i realised i will need a good professional to install the amplifier. He must adjust well the gain between the head unit and the amplifier, trying to minimize the noise and not amplify a clipper sinewave.
Appreciate 0