XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

03-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
RocGuy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1

Very glad I got the tech package. My last car did not have a built in nav and I used a garmin. Meh. The nav here is not perfect, it does not tell me which side of the street the destination is on for example, but I like it. I have moved a lot and take a lot of trips and have already used it a ton.

Voice command? Too frustrating and I do not use it... I have no problems putting in addresses manually. And I do use the BMW app to import addresses from GoogleMaps. That's great.

Overall I am very happy with the tech package and the idrive. I honestly could not imagine this car without it and just a box/compartment in the dash? It would seem kind of cheap and incomplete.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocGuy View Post
Overall I am very happy with the tech package and the idrive. I honestly could not imagine this car without it and just a box/compartment in the dash? It would seem kind of cheap and incomplete.
I also tried the BMW app to import addresses from GoogleMaps. I liked the feature. I agree with you. Without the tech package, the interior looks cheap. I mentioned in a separate thread that the iDrive control and the display screen, if used for decoration purpose only, is worth $500. Besides, the tech package is not just GPS, it is the computer control center of the car. you can do a lot of things, like setting door locking scheme and radio channels, checking tires, engine oil level, trip info and so on.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
ddark13
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X1 35i

for me at least, the tech package gives the car a much more upscale feel and prevents the interior from looking dated. also, here in new york city, you have to take off + hide your garmin every time you want to use it unless you want someone breaking your windows to get it - not to mention the wires hanging down from the dash would annoy me.

a more useful feature of the tech package is that it comes with 14 gigs of mp3 storage + (I'm not sure if the non-tech x1 has this) bluetooth audio streaming and a usb flash drive for additional music storage.

as for it being a ripoff though, i agree
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #26
z4ps
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 M4

Nav is worth all the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #27
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Does the navigation include a compass on the screen?
I didn't get the executive package, and so no compass on the rear view mirror.
Just curious. Thanks
      03-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #28
Grovsnus
Flight Lieutenant ≛
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Le Mans blue X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Does the navigation include a compass on the screen?
I didn't get the executive package, and so no compass on the rear view mirror.
Just curious. Thanks
Going from memory, it won't tell you which direction you're facing, but if you use orientation view (car pointing up for those who don't read maps), you get a small arrow pointing towards North.
(If you use map view, this is of course kind of moot.)
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #29
PFol310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i en route

Potential X1 buyer here...

Looking at getting Nav package, not for Nav in general but having the screen there as well as other stuff that comes with package.

I didn't see a reply to the question about do you have to pay extra yearly to update Nav? I'll hardly use the Nav since I don't venture out to new places much. If you don't update does it just shut off or is it a mandatory update?

This will be my first BMW so trying to get to know things better before I pull the trigger
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #30
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Sold my 2009 335i for the 2013 X1. Never updated the map. Update is only for new roads and POIs but the TomTom database sucks so its not worth updating to me. The MyBMW app allows you to use google to find POIs and send them to iDrive, so I don't plan to ever upgrade the maps.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #31
bmw5406spd
Passionate About Cars
Rep
Drives: 2013 Bmw X1 35i X-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFol310 View Post
Potential X1 buyer here...

Looking at getting Nav package, not for Nav in general but having the screen there as well as other stuff that comes with package.

I didn't see a reply to the question about do you have to pay extra yearly to update Nav? I'll hardly use the Nav since I don't venture out to new places much. If you don't update does it just shut off or is it a mandatory update?

This will be my first BMW so trying to get to know things better before I pull the trigger
Unit does not shut sown if not upgraded, upgrade only updates newly generated maps, i would not buy one without nav, and resale is difficult sale with no nav..just like xenons most everyone wants the xenon lights
      03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #32
PFol310
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i en route

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw5406spd View Post
Unit does not shut sown if not upgraded, upgrade only updates newly generated maps, i would not buy one without nav, and resale is difficult sale with no nav..just like xenons most everyone wants the xenon lights
Thanks...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #33
leatherpants
Hide Encased Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28i

Yeah, thanks for clarifying. The op made it sound like nav owners are on the hook for maintaining some kind of subscription. I've never bothered "upgrading" any navigation system I've ever had.
Appreciate 0