XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-01-2015, 01:00 PM   #1
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Hit and Run - How would you handle it?

Noticed these scratches on the rear right side of the car on Saturday evening. I have always been the 'park and look back' kind of guy, and I'm absolutely positive that this happened during the day on Saturday. Thing is, the parking lot is in our 'luxury' apt building but apparently not luxurious enough to spend on CCTV in the garage.

I'm furious at this because I always park away from the crowd, always back in neatly into the spaces, and this time there wasn't even a spot to the left. Just a spot for electric cars to the right.

How would you guys handle this? Anybody experienced something similar? I'd like to hold the building responsible, but I don't know if that's achievable. Insurance can treat it as a hit and run, but I'll still have to pay deductible and my rates will likely go up. Thoughts?

Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Beat up all the guys with electric vehicles 😄
If the parking is only for tenants, do a walk through and try to natch the scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
xirsteon
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
Noticed these scratches on the rear right side of the car on Saturday evening. I have always been the 'park and look back' kind of guy, and I'm absolutely positive that this happened during the day on Saturday. Thing is, the parking lot is in our 'luxury' apt building but apparently not luxurious enough to spend on CCTV in the garage.

I'm furious at this because I always park away from the crowd, always back in neatly into the spaces, and this time there wasn't even a spot to the left. Just a spot for electric cars to the right.

How would you guys handle this? Anybody experienced something similar? I'd like to hold the building responsible, but I don't know if that's achievable. Insurance can treat it as a hit and run, but I'll still have to pay deductible and my rates will likely go up. Thoughts?

The picture didn't show on my browser but it could be because I have 3 add-ons blocking ads / tracking / etc but I was able to copy the link to see it.

From personal experience, the easiest route is to have your insurance foot the bill (you pay your deductible ofcourse). It is quite sad that someone would hit another person's car w/o leaving a note. When my B6 VW Passat was hit, I drove around 1-2 mile radius looking for any car with left over paint on it. I was quite mad but the insurance took care of it at the end.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #4
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Beat up all the guys with electric vehicles 😄
That sounds about right. How dare them right? :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

I seriously doubt your rates will go up. Unless you can ID the car that hit you in the lot and take pics/contact the owner/etc. you have no option on how to handle it.

That's why you have insurance. Check the cars in the lot for damage/your paint transfer. If not, pay the deductible and move on with your life.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #6
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I seriously doubt your rates will go up. Unless you can ID the car that hit you in the lot and take pics/contact the owner/etc. you have no option on how to handle it.

That's why you have insurance. Check the cars in the lot for damage/your paint transfer. If not, pay the deductible and move on with your life.
If the parking is only for tenants, do a walk through and try to match the scratches
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #7
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
I seriously doubt your rates will go up. Unless you can ID the car that hit you in the lot and take pics/contact the owner/etc.
Most people who hit and run usually run away from the scene of their crimes for quite some time as their gut feeling usually tell them the person's whose car they hit might be out to put up a fist.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #8
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirsteon View Post
Most people who hit and run usually run away from the scene of their crimes for quite some time as their gut feeling usually tell them the person's whose car they hit might be out to put up a fist.
We're talking about a couple of bumper scratches from parking. It's possible the person didn't even realize they grazed the car.

And if you live in the apartment complex, it's going to be hard to run away for a while.

I've had the EXACT same thing happen to me twice. Comes with owning a car, and parking day in, day out in a shared lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #9
xirsteon
Private
Rep

Quote:
We're talking about a couple of bumper scratches from parking. It's possible the person didn't even realize they grazed the car.

And if you live in the apartment complex, it's going to be hard to run away for a while.

I've had the EXACT same thing happen to me twice. Comes with owning a car, and parking day in, day out in a shared lot.
agreed. did you find the culprit or you just let insurance deal with it?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 03:29 PM   #10
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Didn't find the person...there are a ton of beat up Prius' in the lot, so don't want to point fingers randomly. I am going to make the building regret not having cameras, though. I know it happens and all that, but I pay through my nose to park here and the least I can ask for is a minimal level of security.

Is it wise to leave the scratches on there? I want to let winter do its thing and then have the bumper replaced. Knowing my luck, I'll probably get rear-ended while leaving the shop anyway.

EDIT: I meant electric cars like the Volt, not just Prius. I'll still take a look at them, anyway.

Last edited by bananabun; 12-01-2015 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Correction
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #11
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, everybody. Didn't find the person...there are a ton of beat up Prius' in the lot, so don't want to point fingers randomly. I am going to make the building regret not having cameras, though. I know it happens and all that, but I pay through my nose to park here and the least I can ask for is a minimal level of security.

Is it wise to leave the scratches on there? I want to let winter do its thing and then have the bumper replaced. Knowing my luck, I'll probably get rear-ended while leaving the shop anyway.

EDIT: I meant electric cars like the Volt, not just Prius. I'll still take a look at them, anyway.
I live in the city, so scratches/brushups are a way of life. I deal with it for as long as I can, then file a claim and get the bumpers cleaned up. Wash/rinse/repeat. If you can stand it, wait as long as you can until your living situation changes or you sell your car.

As for me, once I found the guy and he paid (white paint transfer from our 135 onto a black car). Never found the guys that scratched the X1 (both rear corners, so a single deductible for multiple hits). Cost of owning cars you care about I think. Sigh...stinks I know.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

I had similar incident when I used to park in the street overnight. Front driver's side door was heavily dented. Since it was impossible to go looking for the person who did it, I, straight away, started looking into all the options I had to fix it. Ended up going through insurance and it cost me the excess and the increased premium for 2 yrs which I'm still paying btw and I'm still in the 1st yr and, of course, the cost of the car space which I'm renting now.

And not long ago again someone squeezed into little space behind me while parked in the street and scratched the bottom of the rear bumper. It was tiny and got it touch-up painted by the dealer with no extra cost. Now I have developed a street parking phobia

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #13
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I had similar incident when I used to park in the street overnight. Front driver's side door was heavily dented. Since it was impossible to go looking for the person who did it, I, straight away, started looking into all the options I had to fix it. Ended up going through insurance and it cost me the excess and the increased premium for 2 yrs which I'm still paying btw and I'm still in the 1st yr and, of course, the cost of the car space which I'm renting now.

And not long ago again someone squeezed into little space behind me while parked in the street and scratched the bottom of the rear bumper. It was tiny and got it touch-up painted by the dealer with no extra cost. Now I have developed a street parking phobia
Get a couple cameras that record when the car is off. This way if someone damages your car you have proof (just make sure you'll be able to read the license plate when you set it up).
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
atomic
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 x-line white

Building isn't responsible. Person who hit your car and left is. Most likely you will never find them. I have scratches on my car from the first month and I always park way away from other cars. People only care about themselves.

I put a tiny scratch on a 15 year old Saturn and left a note and had my insurance pay for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #15
paradoxical3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Someone hit and ran me the other day. I will be making an insurance claim. Just body panel damage (not severe at all) but they managed to somehow hit an impressive five body panels so it will be $$$$$$$$$ to fix. Karma never seems to pay me back. I backed into a brand new Q7 last year and left a note....no such courtesy when people hit me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #16
critter
Rep
Drives: x1 ///M

i bought a couple of game cameras to set up at work.there have been issues with vandalism. firts day i had them set up i caught a coworker keying my car. and another coworker having his car hit and run.bit of a pain to get set up but if you are having problems, it is an easy way to catch people.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:01 AM   #17
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
i bought a couple of game cameras to set up at work.there have been issues with vandalism. firts day i had them set up i caught a coworker keying my car. and another coworker having his car hit and run.bit of a pain to get set up but if you are having problems, it is an easy way to catch people.
+1

Smile you're on camera!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:49 AM   #18
bananabun
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Just bought a dash cam for the front. Once I learn how to wire and use it properly, I'll look into something for the rear windshield also. On that note, who wants to share their cam setup?

I got a B40 A118, powered by the NT96650 and AR0330. If those aren't enough cryptic model numbers for you, then try doing some research into dashcams. Holy wow there is an insane amount of variety out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I got mine (Garmin) sitting just right of the rear view mirror and i bought a long USB cable and run it under the trim to the USB port in the glove compartment.
I am traveling right now, so no photos.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:41 PM   #20
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Just bought a dash cam for the front. Once I learn how to wire and use it properly, I'll look into something for the rear windshield also. On that note, who wants to share their cam setup?

I got a B40 A118, powered by the NT96650 and AR0330. If those aren't enough cryptic model numbers for you, then try doing some research into dashcams. Holy wow there is an insane amount of variety out there.
Check out a guy called Techmoan on YouTube. He also has a full review site as well. Fantastic reviews including long term usage and tracking of known issues.

I got a mini 0805. It's wired into the fuse box with a tap-a-fuse. There's a thread about it on this forum you can see the detailed instructions and it was a piece of cake. Maybe took me thirty minutes or so to install after I had laid everything on the table and crimped all the connections.
I ended up plugging in the car adapter that came with the camera into a cigarette lighter that's wired in to the tap-a-fuse.

Let me know if you have any questions about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #21
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I got mine (Garmin) sitting just right of the rear view mirror and i bought a long USB cable and run it under the trim to the USB port in the glove compartment.
I am traveling right now, so no photos.
I would be a little weary of doing it this way as I don't think those USB ports are meant to provide the kind of power that the cameras are looking for.

Highly recommend wiring it in as per my comment above.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:32 AM   #22
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I would be a little weary of doing it this way as I don't think those USB ports are meant to provide the kind of power that the cameras are looking for.

Highly recommend wiring it in as per my comment above.
USB devices negotiate power, they cannot just take more than the port can give.
If the device is completely dumb, it is limited.
So totally safe.
Appreciate 0