Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
jeremicium
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 328i

Garage List
We picked up my wife's V.O. X1 xdrive28i M sport on wednesday. Looks just Like Beamerboi's 35i. Have yet to take some good pictures, the rainy season has started here in the dreary northwest. Impressions so far:

First off, for those wondering the difference between the M-sport suspension and non M-sport. The difference is huge! The X1 feels planted in corners, body roll is significantly less than in the non M-sport sdrive and X1 xdrive35i that we tested. To me it feels like a proper BMW sport suspension. For the driving enthusiast this is probably the single most important option box you can check when ordering. It also brings with it the amazingly comfortable and supportive sport seats.

Steering feel is fantastic. IF you are a fan of the steering feel in the E90/E92 then you will enjoy this. The weight and responsiveness are on par with my 09 E92 335.

Engine revs well, and sounds nice. It doesn't sound great, but it has a somewhat sporty tone to it. There is plenty of power for what most people would want, but a little more would be welcome. I know BMS has a tune out for the N20 engine, if/when COBB comes out with something I would seriously consider installing to give the 28i a bit more urgency during hard acceleration.

Transmission is going to take some getting used to. Having 8 gears is new for both me and the wife. We are both used to 6 speed manuals. Fun to drive factor is slightly diminished from having a manual transmission. The 8 speed gearbox shifts lightning fast. Luckily ours came with the paddle shifters, if you're used to them on other BMWs they work/feel the same. Hard acceleration gear changes feel very smooth, downshifts not quite as much so. Overall, I think for an auto this is a good tranny, just need to get accustomed to it.

Appearance...this car looks so much better in person. From almost all angles it is sexy, and Valencia Orange is a striking, vibrant color. I know orange isn't for all people, but this has got to be the best orange i've seen on any car. The X1 looks slim from most angles, both the front and rear view are sporty. There are a few angles where it looks a little awkward, hard to put a finger on exactly how to describe it. I think that goes for all vehicles in the compact sports ute segment. Small enough where they don't appear bloated, but just a hint of being overweight compared to a compact wagon (like say on A3, VW jetta wagon, or Subaru impreza). Before seeing it in person I though proportions might look like an Outback wagon...not at all. This looks much slimmer than an Outback.

The interior is nice, though it is less upscale than most other BMWs. It is more on par with the other 1 series cars (128i/135i). We haven't noticed any issues with fit and finish. The M sport steering wheel feels great...can you tell the M sport option is "winning" for us? I've seen reports of the interior being cheap feeling, with lots of hard plastics, and also of fit and finish complaints. The interior feels plenty upscale compared to what the wife came from...an 07 GTI...and the interior on that was just fine. There are some areas with some cheaper feeling plastics, but nothing too bad.

Front driver and passenger room are fine for us. I'm 5'10, wife is 5'5. Plenty of head room for almost anyone, but leg room would be a bit tight if you were a larger framed person. As for the back seats, the middle seat is not really useable unless you are really small and it's for a short trip. The other two seats should be fine for most people. More leg room than an E90 3 series.

We are off to do a small road trip now. Olympia, Wa. to Portland Or. The rain has subsided and I see blue sky. Hope this was useful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #2
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

Welcome to the VO club! : )
      10-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant