XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-13-2013, 02:00 AM   #1
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Auto high beam not working properly, some thoughts

I'm bring in my X1 for service tomorrow and one of the issues is the auto high beam function. Does anyone have any info on the following problems:

When the Auto high beam activates it supposed to turn off when an approaching car is within 3000 feet or when you are 1200 feet behind another car. It does neither of these, even when you directly pass an on comming car on a 2 line road or when you are stopped directly behind a car the auto high beam stays on. The dealer already looked at this problem once and said the programming checked out but it still does not work properly.

Also the owner manual says that you can turn on the Auto High Beam from the I-drive system or with a flick of the stalk, even though I have the Auto High Beam checked for on in the I-drive I still have to flick the stalk to activate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
vbbuilt
Private
Rep
Drives: x28i

Do you have an EasyPass toll transponder mounted directly underneath your windshield mirror mount? When I first got my X1, I mounted my transponder in that location, only because that's where I mounted it in my other cars. Turns out, that in that position, the sensor for the highbeam was blocked. I moved the transponder down to where windshield meets the dash and haven't had that problem since then.

Also, don't push hard on the highbeam stalk. Press it lightly and the indicator comes on in the dash. If you press it twice, the auto highbeam is disabled and you return to manual use.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
dgkli
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 xDrive 28i MSport;

I just got my X1 and have not tested this function yet, but I suspect the wording in the manual is ambiguous and doesn't really mean what it sounds like it means. I believe what it means is that you need to check the setting in iDrive to enable the function, and then you still have to flick the stalk to actually turn it on. (In other words, unchecking the box would disable the function so that flicking the stalk would work as if you did not have auto high beam. I have not actually tested this, so I could be wrong.)

Last edited by dgkli; 05-13-2013 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #4
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkli View Post
I just got my X1 and have not tested this function yet, but I suspect the wording in the manual is ambiguous and doesn't really mean what it sounds like it means. I believe what it means is that you need to check the setting in iDrive to enable the function, and then you still have to flick the stalk to actually turn it on. (In other words, unchecking the box would disable the function so that flicking the stalk would work as if you did not have auto high beam. I have not actually tested this, so I could be wrong.)
You are correct based on my limited testing.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
donsbabybeamer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1

Thanks, removing the Eze pass did the trick
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsbabybeamer View Post
Thanks, removing the Eze pass did the trick
You're welcome! Glad my tip helped!

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #7
1stone
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 Alpin Weiss X1 X-Drive28i

i dont seem to have the High Beam Assistant on my vehicle. I do not have the option to turn it on/off on my i-drive, and when i quickly flick the stalk on the left when the low beams are on, it still does not seem to work. (no indicators on the dash). Do all 2013 x1s in Canada have this feature?? mine is a 28i Base with Navi Pkg, Lights Pkg, Premium Pkg..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
vbbuilt
Private
Rep

I had to purchase that as a separate option - I don't recall it being included in any of the packages.

Vince.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
None of the Canadian cars have auto highbeams. At least the factory car guide had no listing for it as an option or as a standard feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
x1-2012
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 x28i

Auto Hign Beam - Canadian version

I concur, even if the Auto High Beam" is described in the Canadian manual, my dealership told me my car wasn't programmed for it notwithstanding having the "Lights Package". Mmmm...
Appreciate 0