Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #67
mgbm
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 28i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
Did you figure out what the problem is?
Nope, didn't even bother. Just won over an exchange with me end up paying for shipping cost. We'll see if this one will be error-free.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #68
stanjohn123
India
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
Checking in. I have had zero issues at all since my last post. Figured out how to switch my daytime running lights to only the corona rings using bmwhat app thanks to advice from Njerts. Also programmed the Orange corner lights to be off at all times except when blinker is needed. The aftermarket housings have clear lenses in that orange area, so it looks amazing and incredibly aggressive.

No more abnormal flickering. No dash lights. No condensation or premature wear.
Quote:
Mine is actually pretty good as is, I like the purple line at cut-off.
Did you do a proper aim adjust for your lights (25' away from a wall on a level surface with a 2" drop from headlight centre)
I will let my wife drive behind me to see what it looks like when we go out in separate cars again.
As you say, the guys in the HID forums find the rainbow effect desirable in their retrofits.

Also, you can shim the bulbs to make your hotspot softer, but you will lose light. (if it really bothers you)
@ Spoolin and Njerts : It's great to you see you guy's constantly updating this thread.

I'm planning to buy from the same seller as you guy's but I have a few doubts before making my purchase.

I thought of purchasing the 4 X HID's ( CN Lights brand ) and 4 X Ballasts ( Hyluxtec brand )

My question is

1) what type should be the 2 pair's of HID bulb's that can fit easily into the projectors without any modifications or cutting ? ( eg. H4 , H1 or D2S etc )

2) If I buy these light's and ballasts, what else should I buy to make it compatible with my X1's default connectors ? Is there some kind of separate wiring harness and error cancellers like Canbus cancellers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
I haven't done any work on the X1 but I've ordered xenon lights and ballasts from China before and a few of them have arrived dead or died shortly after installing and using them (I mean just a couple weeks of use and then dead).

If you can replace the ballast or the bulb you can try that, might end up being cheaper than the shipping cost.
If you're ordering Xenon light's from China, go for the brands mentioned below as they are the best Chinese brands available.

1) CN Lights branded HID's.

2) Hyluxtek branded Ballasts.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #69
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Check out this site for bulb fitment guide.

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...s/lrgmain.aspx
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #70
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
I thought of purchasing the 4 X HID's ( CN Lights brand ) and 4 X Ballasts ( Hyluxtec brand )

My question is

1) what type should be the 2 pair's of HID bulb's that can fit easily into the projectors without any modifications or cutting ? ( eg. H4 , H1 or D2S etc )

2) If I buy these light's and ballasts, what else should I buy to make it compatible with my X1's default connectors ? Is there some kind of separate wiring harness and error cancellers like Canbus cancellers ?
I am not sure if I understand you correctly. SpoolinX1 and I bought complete housings and depending on the housing, you have to get HID components that match the projector. In my case is was D1S bulbs and ballast.
I think in his case it was DEPO housings that support H7, and he got his HID components off ebay.

If you provide more info I can give you more accurate information.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #71
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure if I understand you correctly. SpoolinX1 and I bought complete housings and depending on the housing, you have to get HID components that match the projector. In my case is was D1S bulbs and ballast.
I think in his case it was DEPO housings that support H7, and he got his HID components off ebay.

If you provide more info I can give you more accurate information.
Hi, Njerts. I'm planning to get these as below but without the HID bulb's

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-B...354551144.html

So I guess I will need 4 X D1S HID bulb's and ballasts , right ? I'm planning t go for CN Light's HID and Hyluxtek ballasts.

What else do I need for it to fit and work perfectly ?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #72
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi, Njerts. I'm planning to get these as below but without the HID bulb's

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-B...354551144.html

So I guess I will need 4 X D1S HID bulb's and ballasts , right ? I'm planning t go for CN Light's HID and Hyluxtek ballasts.

What else do I need for it to fit and work perfectly ?
Ok, that is what I have. They came with D1S bulbs and ballasts.
If you get them without, you only need 1 bulb and ballast per headlight since the inside "projector" is just a dummy for looks. It is just a shiny black plastic insert.
The outside projector is bi-xeon (Hi and Low beam)

You will also need to code
1) Turn off DRL on High Beams if it is on (That is low volt to High beam for DRL)
2) Switch DRL to angle eyes
3) Maybe turn off voltage monitor if you get error codes.

I used BMWhat for that.

Last edited by Njerts; 02-16-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #73
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
Ok, that is what I have. They came with D1S bulbs and ballasts.
If you get them without, you only need 1 bulb and ballast per headlight since the inside "projector" is just a dummy for looks. It is just a shiny black plastic insert.
The outside projector is bi-xeon (Hi and Low beam)

You will also need to code
1) Turn off DRL on High Beams if it is on (That is low volt to High beam for DRL)
2) Switch DRL to angle eyes
3) Maybe turn off voltage monitor if you get error codes.

I used BMWhat for that.
Oh thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't aware that both your's and Spoolin's setup had only the outside projector as functional.

I would like to have both the projector's functional as below.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-S...473922868.html

Regarding coding and BMWhat I'm totally new to this as I have never tried or used it on any of my car's yet.

Also to use the BMWhat, I need some OBD thingy too right ? Where can I get this OBD thing from and what's a decent brand ? Can I order it from aliExpress or anywhere in US who would ship it to me ?

Why do I need to code this ? Won't the angel eyes turn on automatically when I turn the parking lights to ON ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 01:53 AM   #74
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

I recently coded my car with BMWhat for the first time. It was extremely easy (using Android and their V1 adapter). The instructions really make it practically fool proof.

Order the adapter straight from them (ivini/iCarly?), and get the app from your app store on your phone.

If you don't have the lighting package then the computer thinks you don't have angel eyes and will use your high beams for DRL's, this won't work with your new set up. With the app you can tell the computer the correct set up.

My only learning point to share with coding is if you have Android and are going the Bluetooth route, get their version 2 adapter as that will allow you to make changes to the iDrive configurations. I have the version 1 and it can't handle it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 04:24 AM   #75
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
I recently coded my car with BMWhat for the first time. It was extremely easy (using Android and their V1 adapter). The instructions really make it practically fool proof.

Order the adapter straight from them (ivini/iCarly?), and get the app from your app store on your phone.

If you don't have the lighting package then the computer thinks you don't have angel eyes and will use your high beams for DRL's, this won't work with your new set up. With the app you can tell the computer the correct set up.

My only learning point to share with coding is if you have Android and are going the Bluetooth route, get their version 2 adapter as that will allow you to make changes to the iDrive configurations. I have the version 1 and it can't handle it.
Thanks vstolpner. I do not have the lighting package as well as iDrive.

I have iOS and I checked out this carly Adapter on Amazon and unfortunately they don't ship to my location . Is there any other good chinese alternative to this as I believe any OBD adapter will work. It's the app that matters.

Also I read somewhere that they do some kind of remote coding from China. How does this work ?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #76
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh thanks for mentioning this. I wasn't aware that both your's and Spoolin's setup had only the outside projector as functional.
Read the whole thread.
SpoolinX1 has different lights than me, his does have 2 projectors.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #77
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks vstolpner. I do not have the lighting package as well as iDrive.

I have iOS and I checked out this carly Adapter on Amazon and unfortunately they don't ship to my location . Is there any other good chinese alternative to this as I believe any OBD adapter will work. It's the app that matters.

Also I read somewhere that they do some kind of remote coding from China. How does this work ?
I would seriously consider buying from them because if the adapter fails half way through coding it will break the ECU and you're stuck with a repair that is likely going to be in the thousands of dollars. This is why I spent the extra money on the adapter.

Here's a link to the adapter for iOS:
http://www.ivini-tech.de/en/iphone-i...mw-new/a-1010/

You can do remote coding, check out this thread
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012592

Also, it's not iCarly as per my previous post, it's My Carly.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #78
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
Read the whole thread.
SpoolinX1 has different lights than me, his does have 2 projectors.
My bad. Yes you are right, but SpoolinX1 has only halogens in high beam, I don't think he can fit HID's/Xenon's in that without some modifications.

Quote:
I would seriously consider buying from them because if the adapter fails half way through coding it will break the ECU and you're stuck with a repair that is likely going to be in the thousands of dollars. This is why I spent the extra money on the adapter.

Here's a link to the adapter for iOS:
http://www.ivini-tech.de/en/iphone-i...mw-new/a-1010/

You can do remote coding, check out this thread
http://e84.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1012592

Also, it's not iCarly as per my previous post, it's My Carly.
Yeah I checked them out and sent them a mail. They promptly replied back saying the same thing, they told to get their version 2 for our car's. Unfortunately they are out of stock of this and it will be back only around March end.

Last edited by stanjohn123; 02-17-2016 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #79
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Most lights can be modified to fit HID's as they come in a variety of sockets. But keep in mind that HID's cannot be used as high beam flashers unless they are bi-xenon. The lights need to be turned on and stay on otherwise you'll burn them out in no time.

Check out some coding forums and your local Craigslist. I'm sure you'll find someone who will help you out locally.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2016, 11:43 PM   #80
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
Most lights can be modified to fit HID's as they come in a variety of sockets. But keep in mind that HID's cannot be used as high beam flashers unless they are bi-xenon. The lights need to be turned on and stay on otherwise you'll burn them out in no time.

Check out some coding forums and your local Craigslist. I'm sure you'll find someone who will help you out locally.
Thanks a lot vstolpner. I didn't know about the high beam being bi-xenon's and Yes you are right and it makes sense now.

I just spoke to the seller and he told me that the DRL's will always be ON, which is what I want. Why are you guy's coding for it then ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2016, 12:50 AM   #81
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks a lot vstolpner. I didn't know about the high beam being bi-xenon's and Yes you are right and it makes sense now.

I just spoke to the seller and he told me that the DRL's will always be ON, which is what I want. Why are you guy's coding for it then ?
They are not, they are driven from the power that goes to the tiny bulb in your high beam bowl. Your DRL is your high beam at 6 volt and in my case is drives the bi-xeon solenoid. And at 6 volt it shudders, so I had to code DRL to the tiny bulb which is your angle eyes.

I hope this makes sense😄
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 04:56 AM   #82
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Unhappy

Quote:
They are not, they are driven from the power that goes to the tiny bulb in your high beam bowl. Your DRL is your high beam at 6 volt and in my case is drives the bi-xeon solenoid. And at 6 volt it shudders, so I had to code DRL to the tiny bulb which is your angle eyes.

I hope this makes sense😄
I'm sorry I am a little confused, but I guess the only way to make the DRL to work is coding.

I believe you bought your's as a complete set from the seller with HID bulbs et all. Why won't these Chinese sellers check these on our X1's before selling as to whether the DRL's actually work or not ?

This is too complicated for me. I guess I'm going to try being content with my halogen's
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #83
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sorry I am a little confused, but I guess the only way to make the DRL to work is coding.

I believe you bought your's as a complete set from the seller with HID bulbs et all. Why won't these Chinese sellers check these on our X1's before selling as to whether the DRL's actually work or not ?

This is too complicated for me. I guess I'm going to try being content with my halogen's
Mine was complete.
The coding is really not complicated.
If you buy the same ones that spoolinX1 has and leave halogen in the highbeam you should not need coding at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #84
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
If you realy want the lights you can take it slow with no risk.
1) Buy the DEPO headlights.
2) install halogen bulbs from you current headlights.

This will give you the same as you have now except your park light will now be on the angle eyes.

Then you can change things in steps
1) Replace low beam with xeon
2) Move DRL to angle eyes (coding)

Also, I did a lot of testing by just moving the cable from the installed lights to the new lights without actually installing them. The cables are long enough.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2016, 01:34 PM   #85
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Hey guys, sorry I've taken so long to see this thread.

Yes, Njerts is correct, my Depo housings accept two separate bulbs. A high beam and a low beam bulb. Two separate projectors.

I have a halogen bulb in my high beam location (which I rarely ever use) and I run a Xenon in the low beam setting.

I originally started off with halogens in both locations, but switched the low beam to xenon after about a week. I'll be approaching a year on my install in a few weeks here and I've had no issues at all ever since I coded the Angel Eyes as DRL and turned off the voltage monitor (Bulb out warning) on the low beam circuit using BMWhat.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2016, 10:45 AM   #86
stanjohn123
India
Rep

Quote:
If you realy want the lights you can take it slow with no risk.
1) Buy the DEPO headlights.
2) install halogen bulbs from you current headlights.

This will give you the same as you have now except your park light will now be on the angle eyes.

Then you can change things in steps
1) Replace low beam with xeon
2) Move DRL to angle eyes (coding)

Also, I did a lot of testing by just moving the cable from the installed lights to the new lights without actually installing them. The cables are long enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoolinX1 View Post
Hey guys, sorry I've taken so long to see this thread.

Yes, Njerts is correct, my Depo housings accept two separate bulbs. A high beam and a low beam bulb. Two separate projectors.

I have a halogen bulb in my high beam location (which I rarely ever use) and I run a Xenon in the low beam setting.

I originally started off with halogens in both locations, but switched the low beam to xenon after about a week. I'll be approaching a year on my install in a few weeks here and I've had no issues at all ever since I coded the Angel Eyes as DRL and turned off the voltage monitor (Bulb out warning) on the low beam circuit using BMWhat.
Thanks a ton guy's. I think I understood it better now. I will go in steps as per your advice and when it comes to coding I will get in touch with you again.

spoolinX1 what color temperature is your halogen bulb and does it color match with your low beam xenon bulb's ?

Suppose I go with 5000K xenon's in low beam to match with the DRL's what color would I need the halogen bulbs to be in the high beam to match the bi-xenon's color ?

We use high beam a lot in my country due to the heavy traffic and maniac drivers coming in the opposite direction. So high beam will be frequently used.

Also since it rains heavily during rainy days I don't think 6000K will offer good visibility, that is why I would like to stick with 4300K and 5000K temps but same time I want it to be as close as it can be to the DRL's white too
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:57 PM   #87
spoolinX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Thanks a ton guy's. I think I understood it better now. I will go in steps as per your advice and when it comes to coding I will get in touch with you again.

spoolinX1 what color temperature is your halogen bulb and does it color match with your low beam xenon bulb's ?

Suppose I go with 5000K xenon's in low beam to match with the DRL's what color would I need the halogen bulbs to be in the high beam to match the bi-xenon's color ?

We use high beam a lot in my country due to the heavy traffic and maniac drivers coming in the opposite direction. So high beam will be frequently used.

Also since it rains heavily during rainy days I don't think 6000K will offer good visibility, that is why I would like to stick with 4300K and 5000K temps but same time I want it to be as close as it can be to the DRL's white too
I originally had 6000K and found it to be a bit too blue for the corona rings and the color didn't match the high beams very well.. I swapped those out for 5000K bulbs from KBcarstuff.com and the color is now perfect. I wouldn't change a thing about it. 5000K is crisp white, offers extremely good spread on the road and is not offensive in any way.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2018, 03:07 PM   #88
jd__m4
Captain
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Bumping this as I'm looking to swap my stock halogens to aftermarket projector assemblies.

I found a seller on ebay selling a set that are listed to fit 09-12 X1's, I asked if they'll fit a 2015 and he said only up to 2012. I know there was a bit of a facelift in 2012 and one of the things noted is redesigned headlights, however they look pretty identical. Can anyone confirm if there were any changes to the headlamps or are they indeed the same fit from 09-15?
Appreciate 0