XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

06-17-2017, 01:24 AM   #1
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rocketship

I don't trust dealers. Anyone else?

I basically don't trust the dealers to touch my car. I have a theory that every single time the car goes into the dealer, it will come out more broken and with more problems than when it went in, either due to sheer incompetence, or because it's better business to have the car be serviced more times and milk BMWNA for the backpay.

I'm probably going to keep doing all maintenance work myself.

Anyone else?
      06-17-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Yas__Plz
Daily Driven
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Yas Marina M4

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
I basically don't trust the dealers to touch my car. I have a theory that every single time the car goes into the dealer, it will come out more broken and with more problems than when it went in, either due to sheer incompetence, or because it's better business to have the car be serviced more times and milk BMWNA for the backpay.

Anyone else?
But what about when something breaks that you think should be warrantied but since you did not have regular BMW "maintenance" done the warrantied is then denied?

I purchased the "maintenance package" when I got the car, so all regular maintenance cost is covered by BMW. But even still I would rather their technicians diagnose a problem then trying to have myself do it for the sense of insurance that if something goes wrong, for the most part BMW will own up to and repair
stormlv928.00
SakhirM410783.00
      06-17-2017, 06:53 AM   #3
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:

Anyone else?
While I do not blindly trust dealer recommendations on older cars that are outside prepaid maintenance / warranty periods, I think bolded part is a bit paranoid. I lease my M4 so not worried about dealer maintenance during lease period. My wife's 5+ year Audi is owned and I find they try to sell services that aren't needed when taking it in for maintenance or recalls (change belts before needed, try to sell new tires before needed, etc.) but haven't seen them break anything.
      06-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #4
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

I think you are wrong and are probably patronizing the wrong dealership. The service department at BMW of Bridgeport in CT is fantastic. Everyone there could not be more friendly and competent, and they bend over backwards to make customers happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #5
Groganrocket
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90 335i and 2015m4

I don't trust them myself, but I know my tech and service advisor and they are great.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #6
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I hear you, OP, but for sake of warranty take it to them and hope for the best. Most of the time thing turn out okay.

But...back in 08 I took my M5 with about 5k on the clock in to a dealer for a horn to be replaced as one had gone out. The car sounded like shit when I got it back and they denied there was a problem repeatedly. Turned out they'd fucked a valve spring and had another dealer fix it for free.

Too many pirates at dealers stealing a living. Tesla have the right idea, franchise system needs to go pop but archaic unions won't allow it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
BhamDavid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I have a great relationship with my dealer. They have one tech that is assigned all the M cars that come in. The guy does great work.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 11:09 AM   #8
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
I hear you, OP, but for sake of warranty take it to them and hope for the best. Most of the time thing turn out okay.

But...back in 08 I took my M5 with about 5k on the clock in to a dealer for a horn to be replaced as one had gone out. The car sounded like shit when I got it back and they denied there was a problem repeatedly. Turned out they'd fucked a valve spring and had another dealer fix it for free.

Too many pirates at dealers stealing a living. Tesla have the right idea, franchise system needs to go pop but archaic unions won't allow it.
Yeah, Tesla rapes you directly with no middle man.
04RC51950.50
      06-17-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Yeah, Tesla rapes you directly with no middle man.
Thats what I wondered. theres a great push for franchising, but then that would eliminate discounts. Cars would no longer be sold under MSRP, so i dont understand.

Im not a fan of dealerships, but it maintains in-brand competition when the dealerships have different owners.
      06-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
Agamemnon
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 m3 ss2 zcp full leather

It really depends on the dealership. The one I deal with was the original one in the area. Test drove a new 2002 back in the day so that gives an idea of how long they have been around. No complaints at all about sales or service.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 03:33 PM   #11
f80NJ17
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Garage List
2022 BMW X3M   [10.00]
I have good experience with my dealer. Never had an issue. 4 bmw past 9yrs no issues
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
Thats what I wondered. theres a great push for franchising, but then that would eliminate discounts. Cars would no longer be sold under MSRP, so i dont understand.

Im not a fan of dealerships, but it maintains in-brand competition when the dealerships have different owners.
I'd rather have a fixed price than go through the nonsense of dealing with a car salesman. It is total waste of time, the whole game they play, back and forth with the sales manager bullshit. It should be simple like tesla has it. Test drive the car without any apprehensions or pressure. Then buy it at the posted price if you like it and it's the same price wherever you go in the country. So much easier and hassle free than the dealer sales nonsense.

My Amazing European Delivery Story

Last edited by ///M///; 06-20-2017 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M/// View Post
Quote:

I'd rather have a fixed price than go through the nonsense of dealing with a car salesman. It is total waste of time, the whole game they play, back and forth with the sales manager bullshit. It should be simple like tesla has it. Test drive the car with its any apprehensions or pressure. Then buy it at the posted price if you like it and it's the same price wherever you go in the country. So much easier and hassle free than the dealer sales nonsense.
Pretty sure you can pay MSRP on almost any car without haggling.
paliknight2186.50
Draper3454.00
04RC51950.50
UPSROD941.00
      06-17-2017, 06:52 PM   #14
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
You mustn't be in the market for a 991.2 Gt3. It's a joke dealers get away with this +MSRP BS especially to repeat GT3-buyers. I'd love to abandon the brand based on this but there's nothing quite like them for the listed price.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
knightarmor
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Who ever trusted a dealer to begin with??
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #16
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Quote:
You mustn't be in the market for a 991.2 Gt3. It's a joke dealers get away with this +MSRP BS especially to repeat GT3-buyers. I'd love to abandon the brand based on this but there's nothing quite like them for the listed price.
No I'm not in the market for a GT3 but had them in mind when I referenced "almost any" in my post. I know there are a few cars where dealers mark up over MSRP when people are willing to pay it but they are almost certainly a fraction of 1% of annual U.S. total vehicle sales volume.

Those rare exceptions aside, if you don't want to haggle you can just pay the asking price for cars produced in volume.
paliknight2186.50
      06-17-2017, 07:29 PM   #17
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

I know the mechanic at my local dealership so I never worry with him.

However the times I have taken it to a different dealership I do always worry that the service is not being performed right or they are joy riding my car. It's an irrational fear though as I have never had a bad dealership experience.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #18
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No I'm not in the market for a GT3 but had them in mind when I referenced "almost any" in my post. I know there are a few cars where dealers mark up over MSRP when people are willing to pay it but they are almost certainly a fraction of 1% of annual U.S. total vehicle sales volume.

Those rare exceptions aside, if you don't want to haggle you can just pay the asking price for cars produced in volume.
Exactly. People would rather have the 99% of people pay MSRP just so the 1% wont get overcharged. If you can afford a 160k car, then you will probably be able to afford another 20-40k. on the flip side, if someone is on a budget, then each hundred dollars saved from a car purchase will make a significant difference.
      06-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #19
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather have a fixed price than go through the nonsense of dealing with a car salesman. It is total waste of time, the whole game they play, back and forth with the sales manager bullshit. It should be simple like tesla has it. Test drive the car with its any apprehensions or pressure. Then buy it at the posted price if you like it and it's the same price wherever you go in the country. So much easier and hassle free than the dealer sales nonsense.
Agreed. I also hate dealerships and their game. But what youre mentioning already exists. as stated earlier, its called MSRP. its available to those who do not want the headache of haggling. There are very few exceptions that MSRP wouldnt apply to, again as already mentioned, but that is probably less than 0.5% of car buyers.

If dealerships are eliminated, then cars will only be sold at MSRP or possibly a certain amount between Invoice and MSRP. Highly doubt they would be sold at or near invoice without dealerships. At the moment cars can be had below invoice.
      06-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #20
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah that's a great deal...Dealers win consumer loses, each & every.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #21
Stryder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Rocketship

I should probably have quantified: Bay Area BMW dealerships.

Some are definitely more competent and less snake-oily than others.
      06-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #22
Alpine300zhp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M4 Comp RWD

Quote:
Quote:

Anyone else?
While I do not blindly trust dealer recommendations on older cars that are outside prepaid maintenance / warranty periods, I think bolded part is a bit paranoid. I lease my M4 so not worried about dealer maintenance during lease period. My wife's 5+ year Audi is owned and I find they try to sell services that aren't needed when taking it in for maintenance or recalls (change belts before needed, try to sell new tires before needed, etc.) but haven't seen them break anything.
I assume you are using Braman Audi for service. If so, your comments are not a shock.