Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 i3 BEV

Engine Malfunction - Reduced Power

Well I have had my X1 (sDrive28i) literally a week and yesterday, driving slowly in a shopping center parking lot, there was a loud BEEP and then a flashing message on the IDrive:

ENGINE MALFUNCTION - ENGINE IS OPERATING ON REDUCED POWER. GO TO YOUR NEAREST BMW CENTER.

We had been shopping, returned to the parked car, drove it a few minutes, nothing at all noticeably wrong, when this happened. We weren't far from home, and what are you going to do on a Saturday at 5pm? I doubt BMW service has emergency hours.

As we continued driving, traffic was fairly heavy, but it did seems as if the engine was working hard. Oh and the icon in the trip computer is an engine half-shaded in.

We had one more small stop on the way home, so I went ahead and parked. And when we came out and started the car, the message did not reappear. However, we were less than 5 minutes from home at that point.

So I will take the X1 out later today and see if on a longer drive, the message reappears. If so, I'll go straight to BMW Beverly Hills service tomorrow morning. If the message doesn't reappear, I'll just call and make an appointment to come in for an evaluation.

I did some searching for "BMW Engine malfunction - reduced power" and got a surprising number of hits, but for other models. Seems to be several possible causes, with fuel line problems frequently mentioned. We'll see...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Glad the car didn't get on fire or something that would endanger you and your family.
Try to demand that thy fix the car ASAP or call other near by BMW.

Goo Luck!
      12-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #3
Fastbuck
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F01 740d M Sport

Garage List
Make sure your fuel filler cap is turned until it clicks, it may not be closed properly and causes problems for the engine management system when the fuel delivery line is not entirely sealed.

Fastbuck
2012 F01 740d M Sport Alpine White Oyster/ Oyster
2013 E84 X1 1.8d M Sport Alpine White Black/ Black
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

I haven't put gas in the X1 since purchase. But I plan to fill the tank today (even though I am not even at a quarter tank yet). So we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

UPDATE: The engine malfunction warning light came on Saturday night. Didn't drive the car Sunday. Just got back from a drive and the car ran fine, no warning light. The warning light also had disappeared that Saturday night after our last stop.

Called Beverly Hills BMW and spoke to a service adviser. He recommended a 'wait and see' approach and I am fine with that. I didn't really follow his explanation of what might cause a momentary "glitch" that produced that message without any real reason. But we'll see. It may never reappear, it may reappear soon or way down the line. I'd rather it not have happened but I am not going to let it spoil my enjoyment of the X1...for now!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Youngster
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 Mineral Gray s28

BMW SA might be right, and i hope he is right. I had a similar problem last week, "left turn signal malfunction" light came up, and disappeared on upon restart.
      12-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Zippydapinhead2001
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35i M pkg Alpine White

At least for now you know that a power down/ restart sequence is a temporary fix
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #8
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

I also had my engine go into this "limp home mode" at the very end of our ED trip. Since it was in rural France on a Sunday at noon we just "limped" for a few minutes to the next village and stopped for lunch. After lunch the car started again and we never had that problem again until we dropped the car off a couple of days later.... But we were quite worried this would happen on a car with less than 2 weeks on the road (though already almost 5000 kilometers on the clock by that time). I have asked the dealer to take a look at it when the car comes in from transport.

Let's keep updating this thread to see if these are just isolated events or is going to be more of a pattern.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #9
M3tallicar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///M

I would take it in to see what codes if any are being thrown, also to get any problems on the record in case there are issues later with the repair, warranty or even lemon coverage if it turns out to be chronic.

Tracking problem info and sharing on the forums has really helped with addressing issues in the past.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3tallicar View Post
I would take it in to see what codes if any are being thrown, also to get any problems on the record in case there are issues later with the repair, warranty or even lemon coverage if it turns out to be chronic.

Tracking problem info and sharing on the forums has really helped with addressing issues in the past.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:39 AM   #11
two-five boy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i

Can u guys provide the production date of ur cars so we can hopefully isolate the problem to a certain "batch" of cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
lilume
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 x1 s drive 2.8

X1 engine malfunction light - reduced power

same here on my 2013 E84, i believe the production date is 9/12/12. i bought this M sport full optioned 200+ miles demo w/deep discount ($43k MSRP, $38k out da door) on 11/17/12. i have experienced this reduced power engine light twice, both disappeared within 10mins.

dealership found DMC FC 2CAC code (whtever it means) da 1st time, electric wastegate, sluggish; DMC FC 2C58, charging pressure control, deactivation, pressure build up blocked.

da 2nd time, dealership emailed to BMW due to no clue. now they decide to put in a brand new engine from germany. will update my post (on da codes) after i got my car back in 2-3wks.

i do worry quite a bit thking if this is 1st year model syndrome (in US only, Europe & Asia have been selling x1 for the last 3 yrs) or if i bought a lemon (if da same situation happens 1 more time, mine will be considered lemon, then i guess i will have a new car.) but they gave me a new X5 loaner (for paying da payment for a X1) to drive until they finish putting in da new engine (at least 2 more wks now waiting for the engine to arrive from germany) also i will start from 0 mile (already had 2800 miles for a month of ownership.) i thk it's all good for the time being.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
conceyted
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilume View Post
same here on my 2013 E84, i believe the production date is 9/12/12. i bought this M sport full optioned 200+ miles demo w/deep discount ($43k MSRP, $38k out da door) on 11/17/12. i have experienced this reduced power engine light twice, both disappeared within 10mins.

dealership found DMC FC 2CAC code (whtever it means) da 1st time, electric wastegate, sluggish; DMC FC 2C58, charging pressure control, deactivation, pressure build up blocked.

da 2nd time, dealership emailed to BMW due to no clue. now they decide to put in a brand new engine from germany. will update my post (on da codes) after i got my car back in 2-3wks.

i do worry quite a bit thking if this is 1st year model syndrome (in US only, Europe & Asia have been selling x1 for the last 3 yrs) or if i bought a lemon (if da same situation happens 1 more time, mine will be considered lemon, then i guess i will have a new car.) but they gave me a new X5 loaner (for paying da payment for a X1) to drive until they finish putting in da new engine (at least 2 more wks now waiting for the engine to arrive from germany) also i will start from 0 mile (already had 2800 miles for a month of ownership.) i thk it's all good for the time being.
Well, at the very least they sound like they have treated you quite well. Here is to hoping the new engine puts your car back to normal and for good.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #14
mullini
Mullini
United_States
Rep

As the original poster in this particular thread, I can report that I have had no further occurrences (engine light, reduced power). But as a superstitious person, now that I have typed that...well, we'll see!

My only niggle at this point on my X1 is that the trunk release on the remote is so finicky that I basically have given up on it. You have to lift anyway so I just grab it with the key in my pocket and it comes up. But if I press the trunk release for one second, nothing happens, and if I press longer, the panic alarm comes on. Super annoying, so I avoid the trunk release.

Oops think I just hijacked my own thread...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
ScottE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive 28i Mineral Gray

Glad to hear you're not experiencing any more engine gremlins. Still a little unnerving, I'm sure. I came from two troublefree generations of Lexus IS models before my X1, so I'm hopeful these things are solid. After 2K miles, nothing has blown up. We'll see. Knew I'd potentially be trading a little reliability for that BMW magic sauce.

Thanks for sharing your story.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #16
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

My 2012 X1 got today "Engine malfunction. Power reduced" It was running ok but with less power. At the first light I shut the engine off and started again, the error came back. Drove the vehicle further and after 15 minutes the error disappeared. I will check on Monday with the dealer and come in with the update. Now I am really concerned. The vehicle has 19500 km on board now.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Ok, just got back from the dealership. I am posting my results for whoever is interested.
"Reduced engine power message was being displayed. Unable to fault at time of testing. Carried out scan for check engine light came on not at time of testing. Scan car and found fault stored for intake came Vanos. Fault logged only once. Carried out function test on Vanos system. Passed. Erase fault memory as unable to fault car at time of testing."

They said drive it and see.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #18
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 x28i USA

Just had this happen to me. Started and re-started a few times to see if it would clear.

Engine running very rough and with about 10% power.

Limped to BMW service center nearby (but not near home). They are gonna replace the spark plugs and then see what's going on. Need to keep it overnight....

Last edited by SwiftCloud; 01-29-2013 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #19
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep

Exclamation

Update:
Service team says they need to replace two of the injectors... None in the country (USA) so they are keeping the car for a week until the parts come in!

Car has only 5,000 miles on it...
      01-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #20
nospam
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpina B6; 430i; X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftCloud View Post
Update:
Service team says they need to replace two of the injectors... None in the country (USA) so they are keeping the car for a week until the parts come in!

Car has only 5,000 miles on it...
How in the world can there be no injectors in the US? WTF?!

What model loaner have they put you in?

Last edited by nospam; 02-01-2013 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
SwiftCloud
Swift Cloud
United_States
Rep

2013 X1 -- basically my same car...but with fewer miles.
      02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #22
torres806
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 28i xDrive

I had my entire iDrive crash. I got in my car and tried to connect to my saved music and the drive just crashed. It took them 6 days to fix the issue.
Appreciate 0