XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

07-01-2011, 11:27 PM   #23
69-2002on
Rep
Drives: 94 318i

Since BMW decided to wait on bringing the X1 to the USA, i gave up and bought a Ford F150 ecoboost truck - great decision - it's a really nice vehicle and the mileage is not too bad considering what an animal this truck is - fast too although I've had to slow down a little on the mountain roads. It will be fun to go to the snow with and go camping in and it's fuel efficient enough for me to drive to work now and then - not much worse than the Volvo it replaced.

The next car my husband gets to pick, not too sure it will be BMW, but it will be small and fuel efficient.

Now we can hold out until somebody markets an affordable diesel hybrid - at least BMW is a leader in that technology but they'll probably never bring that to the US either.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 08:36 AM   #24
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

No worries, you can always come to Mexico and buy one. , of course if you get it out safely... lol
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #25
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-2002on View Post
Since BMW decided to wait on bringing the X1 to the USA, i gave up and bought a Ford F150 ecoboost truck

What a bizarre switch of car choices.

The X1 is selling like mad in Europe, it is now the best selling SUV, my dealer reckons many are saying the new X3 is just too bloated, I had one on an overnight demo and didn't like it, took it back the same afternoon. Then took the X5 out and found that better for some reason, but still didn't excite me like my 535d sport touring or 335i sport touring did.
So decided I would be boring and buy my third E91, but the dealer told me to take his X1 sDrive 20d manual out for a spin as he thought I would like it, that was last Monday, by Friday I had a 2010 one sat on my drive.

It is more like a newer 3 series touring allroad than an X car imho, it keeps the handling and dynamics of the 3 series but far more comfy and a slightly raised drive height, nothing major, but still higher.

When you drive the X1 and X3 back to back you have to really want a 4x4 to want the X3, the X1 is just another BMW with a little extra practicality and a fresh new design, it makes the X3 look very dull imho.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:02 PM   #26
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Don't you have Trading Standards in the USA?

I don't see how they can put the word 'Ecoboost' in the model description of a Ford F150?!!

It does 16/22mpg FFS! haha

I did a 42 mile run in our X1 sDrive 18d earlier this evening and it returned 57mpg, that was sat at 70mph for 90% of the journey.
Now that I could understand it wearing the Ecoboost badge, but a car that does 22mpg on a run?!
Plus I had the added bonus of fuel dropping down to $2.15 us today from $2.26.

Think I am going to like this car, a lot.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 02:40 AM   #27
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
What a bizarre switch of car choices.

The X1 is selling like mad in Europe, it is now the best selling SUV, my dealer reckons many are saying the new X3 is just too bloated, I had one on an overnight demo and didn't like it, took it back the same afternoon. Then took the X5 out and found that better for some reason, but still didn't excite me like my 535d sport touring or 335i sport touring did.
So decided I would be boring and buy my third E91, but the dealer told me to take his X1 sDrive 20d manual out for a spin as he thought I would like it, that was last Monday, by Friday I had a 2010 one sat on my drive.

It is more like a newer 3 series touring allroad than an X car imho, it keeps the handling and dynamics of the 3 series but far more comfy and a slightly raised drive height, nothing major, but still higher.

When you drive the X1 and X3 back to back you have to really want a 4x4 to want the X3, the X1 is just another BMW with a little extra practicality and a fresh new design, it makes the X3 look very dull imho.
Oh I totally agree, which is why I keep on raving about it to colleagues and friends. I have posted it elsewhere on this forum but I road tested quite a few cars from all the various manufacturers like Audi, Merc, BMW etc to find a good family car. I went into this with no preconceptions and found the X1 ticking all the boxes. Its a brilliant drive which is important to me, yet has all the practicality of a small estate for the family. The fact that its also available in 4x4 became all the more important in the severe winter we have just had. I actually went out in it during heavy snow on my winter tyres, for fun

Oh, and I am getting 54mpg average on the motorway and 34mpg in the city..in a 4x4...with a auto box...and I don't spare the horses....and I am having a lot of fun..

I will actually go so far as to say that I believe the X1 is very, very underrated by the media.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 07-06-2011 at 03:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #28
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

I was at The BMw factory n Munich a week or so ago, and one of my many discussions with reps there was on the X1. It is made in a factory at Leipzeg, which is running three shifts per day, 18 hours! Every single X1 built there is sold, so no allocation for the US market at all. They would like to sell the car here, but they just don't have any to sell. It is not about cutting into X3 sales.

FYI, the X1 looks great in person, much better than the version I saw in Geneva when it first came out. It is a nice, muscular version of the 1 series, a little smallers, lighter than the X3. It definitely will be cool to have here at some point. The new twin turbo engine for it looks great too (and is being assembled at the Munich factory)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
69-2002on
Rep

I would have preferred to get an X1 20d and the high mileage and put off the truck purchase but with three vehicles with a combined mileage of 640,000 miles, I couldn't wait another year +, USA probably still won't get the diesel version, and the X1 can't pull the horse trailer and haul wood etc. The F150 barely feels the trailer, performs well, and is a great travel vehicle. So, like i said - my husband will choose the next vehicle and it's unlikely to be BMW so after driving BMWs for 40 years, i finally won't have one when the 275,000 mile 318 dies. I will go through withdrawals but our choice of a BMW has always been a smaller car for fun, reliability, and economy. BMW doesn't choose to market that in the USA anymore although I can't believe there is not a great market for it when you look at the sales of the Audi A3. If the diesel had come in Quattro, we would have gotten that.

How can the manufacturers call the X3, Q5 etc. "economical" SUVs (BFD 25-28 mpg) when an F150 gets 22 mpg and has greater versitility? The new Ford Explorer beats them handily too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #30
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but BMW really needs to figure out how to increase production on the X1 so it can be sold in the US.

My wife definitely wants the X1, thinks the X3 is too big, and ED for an X1 is a big motivator for her!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:56 AM   #31
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
My wife definitely wants the X1, thinks the X3 is too big, and ED for an X1 is a big motivator for her!
Yeah. I was behind a new X3 and until I got close to it, I thought it was an X5.
Hopefully next year...........
      08-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #32
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 992GTS; '20 Porsche Spyder

I received the new editions of Automobile, C&D, and R&T last week. All of them were the "special 2012 new car issues". One didn't even list the X1, and the other two said something in passing like it could possible arrive in 2012. To me that says that BMW has not even committed to ever bring it over.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

When has BMW ever failed to plan for production output to accomodate the realized market?

This is a strategic, marketing move. The X1 is not here in the US for one reason: the return on investment will not make up for lost X3 sales. Bet on it. These people are nothing if not accomplished businessmen. The reason they did not avail themselves of a facility to produce enough X1 to cover American demand is that they knew that they cannot make more money by doing so than they can by pushing the X3 as the entry SAV.

Sad but true. If you want a small SUV with BMW ethos, try a mini Countryman. It is a great little "truck". I know an X1 28i will be that much better, but in the US the Countryman is your only choice for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 11:08 PM   #34
Itgb
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but BMW really needs to figure out how to increase production on the X1 so it can be sold in the US.

I'm in the same boat. My wife and I really want to do an ED trip for our next car and if there's no X1 or F31 touring coming, it's looking like an A4 Avant. The Mini Countryman looks like an oversized toy and the X3 is too big. The X1 seems to offer a great combination of size, utility, luxury, sport, etc. and it will be a shame if BMW can't get it over here.
      08-12-2011, 02:59 AM   #35
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Excuse my ignorance, but what is ED?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #36
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I will actually go so far as to say that I believe the X1 is very, very underrated by the media.
Yes, indeed. The media do not like much of the X1, and somehow they have some reason ... little space in the back seat, poor interior materials (lower part of the dashboard is very bad)... but without doubt it's a great car to drive ...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 05:20 AM   #37
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what is ED?
European Delivery or Erectile Dysfunction. Go see your dealer or doctor for whichever one is of interest.

Lol
      08-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #38
danintas
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 30d Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
European Delivery or Erectile Dysfunction. Go see your dealer or doctor for whichever one is of interest.

Lol
Thanks ... i really had no idea

I downloaded and watched the BMW Driving Obsession video ... after seeing it, I would love to do ED too!

Do I need to order a blue car?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 08:56 AM   #39
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danintas View Post
Do I need to order a blue car?
Yes you do. It is a secret code that tells the mfg line that you are a serious BMW enthusiast coming to pick up you car in Germany. And it also alerts the BMW Welt receptionist not to say anything about your ED.

Last edited by DUH CAR; 08-12-2011 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #40
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

They can not delay to long or they may be sorry
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #41
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

In denial

My SA told me today production would be available this fall, but of course that must be taken with a pound of salt as SA's are usually clueless in my experience. Didn't try to sell me an X3, though, so maybe...

And it's encouraging that the X1 has been approved by CARB in both 2-liter xDrive28i and 3-liter xDrive35i versions. Doesn't mean they have to bring it to market, but it's an awfully good sign.

(sorry for the cross-post, realized too late that this is the more up-to-date thread)
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #42
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
When has BMW ever failed to plan for production output to accomodate the realized market?

This is a strategic, marketing move. The X1 is not here in the US for one reason: the return on investment will not make up for lost X3 sales. Bet on it. These people are nothing if not accomplished businessmen. The reason they did not avail themselves of a facility to produce enough X1 to cover American demand is that they knew that they cannot make more money by doing so than they can by pushing the X3 as the entry SAV.

Sad but true. If you want a small SUV with BMW ethos, try a mini Countryman. It is a great little "truck". I know an X1 28i will be that much better, but in the US the Countryman is your only choice for now.
I agree. I called my dealer. My SA says he spoke to BMW today and was told that there are currently no plans to ever bring the X1 to the US since they do not perceive there to be a market for it here.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #43
69-2002on
Rep

So the Audi Q3 will take the market instead. I think it's fairly stupid of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2011, 07:28 AM   #44
Denny Swift
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69-2002on View Post
So the Audi Q3 will take the market instead. I think it's fairly stupid of BMW.
Audi has not confirmed that the Q3 will ever be sold in the US. My guess is that it won't ever come here. But if it does, I think the chances of it being available with a manual transmission are about zero. The A4 Avant has not been available with a 6-speed since 2009. The A4 Allroad is another car that will never be available here.
Appreciate 0