Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

07-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 S20d

Hot Vent coming from ventilation

Hi.

Every time i start the engine's car, i notice hot air coming out from the ventilation system towards me and to the windscreen. After a bit the temperature get's normal.

Is it normal?

Regards

Last edited by Xeins; 07-24-2011 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Hi.

Every time i start the engine's car, i notice hot air coming out from the ventilation system towards me and to the windscreen. After a bit the temperature get's normal.

Is it normal?

Regards
Hi.

Can anybody check if this is normal, since the car is going to service next month?

Tanks
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #3
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeins View Post
Hi.

Can anybody check if this is normal, since the car is going to service next month?

Tanks
Is it not just the warm air blowing from the system before the aircon gets time to kick in? If so try switching off the blower for the first few minutes but I would say the warm air thing is normal for 30s or so.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Barrysydney
Rep
Drives: 2010 23xd

Hi, I have similar problem. It happens for the first 30 second and is quite annoying in summer. And the center right vent is warmer than center left. I had talked to the BMW technician during my 1st service and they had done a temperature check and told me the air-cond was working fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #5
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

I am not sure I follow. I have never been in a car that has an aircon that can produce instant cold air from switch on. Particularly if its been baking in the hot sun. Or am I missing something in this discussion?

PS: I lived in Africa for a number of years so I know hot.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

mario

I had outher cars with air conditioning before but I never felt such a blow of hot air... It takes about 10 seconds before I can feel cold air coming from the system.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

It is the same with my car. Takes 30 sec. In my previous Audi A4, the coolin starter about 10 sec after starting the engine, and then it was really cold air comming out. I think it takes too long time for the X1 to blow really cold air (my friend has an 5-serie and has the same problem)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #8
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think you guys should sell your X1's, it's obviously not working for you.
      08-02-2011, 09:57 AM   #9
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompak23d View Post
It is the same with my car. Takes 30 sec. In my previous Audi A4, the coolin starter about 10 sec after starting the engine, and then it was really cold air comming out. I think it takes too long time for the X1 to blow really cold air (my friend has an 5-serie and has the same problem)
Wonder if its got anything to do with the whole eco-thing where the cars disengage the aircon while under acceleration etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
dmunozj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

Garage List
  [0.00]
it is perfectly normal since the car keeps inside the conducts all remaining air previous turn off. I'm not sure about the 30 seconds, but 10 seconds it is standard.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Lost in France
France
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive 2.0d

Normal on mine as well, about 8 to 10 seconds of warmer air as the system clears the 'tubes' then the A/C cool starts through, mine is regularly sitting in temperatures of 30 - 35c & direct sun but it's a lot less if it's been in the shade
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
I think you guys should sell your X1's, it's obviously not working for you.
Well, i don't think anyone of us X1 drivers would like a car that looks the same as a Toyota Avensis = the 3 series...

Sorry, but you asked for it
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Xeins
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in France View Post
Normal on mine as well, about 8 to 10 seconds of warmer air as the system clears the 'tubes' then the A/C cool starts through, mine is regularly sitting in temperatures of 30 - 35c & direct sun but it's a lot less if it's been in the shade
It seems that after all is normal... But it is quite annoying especially for the driver's comfort, especially when we are talking about a brand like BMW. It seems to me that BMW is failing on simple things that other brands dont....
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

Xeins, it seems climate control on many Audis have a mind of their own - it sets the fan speed itself, completely ignoring your settings, so BMW is not alone here.

Anyway, shouldn't this thread be locked on the grounds of preserving common sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

I have talked about this in another thread but would the timer function on the fan not help?

In other words turn the fan on say 20 min before you get in the car to blow out some of the hot air.

Also setting the AC to manual or auto mode has slightly different results. Problem is my wife likes manual full blast and I like the auto climate control.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 09:20 AM   #16
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

I think that's okay, I experience the same, warm flow blows off from the hood. I think it's only because of the vent. If you open windows to equalize outdoor and indoor temperatures and humidity before starting engine, you wouldn't experience this. I don't know of the way you can avoid this just by the nature of things. I get the same result in Mazda BTW.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #17
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep

Well, I get a bit confused... My previous Audi did not behave like this, and not my Volvo Xc90 either. They both blow ice cool air within 20 seconds after starting the engine... So what's the problem BMW?
Appreciate 0