XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

11-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
sacsac
Rep
Drives: X1

Is it worth installing clear bra (XPEL Paint Protection Film)?

Can anyone share some experience? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

It depends on how much you notice. I see clear bra on cars and hate it. The only clean approach is to cover the entire hood and even with the best installs it's still noticeable. I like to detail cars though and have an eye for those things. I'd rather see rock chips than a wavy, distorted piece of plastic film. It's also a pain to remove, should you ever decide to. But alas, we're talking about an X1, not a McLaren or some sort of garage queen, do whatever makes you comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Just dont tailgate
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

any good installer in Northern VA?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Nova Rounder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xdrive 28i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpel View Post
Yes. Randy Coffey Detail Authority. 703-978-7800

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
It depends on how much you notice. I see clear bra on cars and hate it. The only clean approach is to cover the entire hood and even with the best installs it's still noticeable. I like to detail cars though and have an eye for those things. I'd rather see rock chips than a wavy, distorted piece of plastic film. It's also a pain to remove, should you ever decide to. But alas, we're talking about an X1, not a McLaren or some sort of garage queen, do whatever makes you comfortable.
Depends who is installing the film for you.
Due to the climate/city/winters/ and what they throw on the streets in the winter (gravel), I have installed film over the WHOLE front of my cars.

Here is the X1, with full 3M on Full Hood, full bumper, full front fenders, A pillars, mirrors, full headlamps, fog lamps, and even the silver parts in the front.
Nobody knows that the car has film over and many don't believe it until I show them.

It can be washed nice, waxed, and the fun part, if you have any scratch, is coming back to its form with warm water. The other side of the story... is the price ($1200) but for me it's worth it.
Attached Images

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-17-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

That's actually a really good price for that much coverage. Love the Sparkling Bronze, looks great.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That's actually a really good price for that much coverage. Love the Sparkling Bronze, looks great.
Thank you. We love the color very much due to the reflections and nuances.
I know very well the guys who install the film and I give them a lot of business.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 07:53 PM   #9
VMRWheels
General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
+ 1 Awesome deal
      12-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #10
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Tracus, who did your film?
2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Tracus, who did your film?
Thompson Graphics.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #12
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
+ 1 Awesome deal
Yes I'd have to pay that for just the hood, lights and bumper. On my current ride I opted out of Xpel after having it on the last 4.
      12-21-2014, 02:44 AM   #13
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
I have to agree. I hate it as well, I have it on my X1 and my wife's Acura. The X1 is the 3M product not sure what exactly is on the Acura. After just 3 months it look like shit from anything closer then 5 feet. Bugs stain it and there is no getting it really clean, I have tried everything. But I'm very picky, most people would be fine with it. As for protection it does that but at a trade off in looks.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 03:49 PM   #14
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInCND View Post
I have to agree. I hate it as well, I have it on my X1 and my wife's Acura. The X1 is the 3M product not sure what exactly is on the Acura. After just 3 months it look like shit from anything closer then 5 feet. Bugs stain it and there is no getting it really clean, I have tried everything. But I'm very picky, most people would be fine with it. As for protection it does that but at a trade off in looks.
I guess that is either very poorly installed by the guy who did it or you expect to look very beautiful by doing nothing.

I am not picky, but OCD with my cars and I am VERY pleased with my film.
I had it in my previous cars, and I have it on my present cars including an 8 years old Accord. You will see nothing on it and it should be invisible.
BUT
You need to wash your car, and wax the film at least twice a year with wax so bugs wont stain it. You must make sure that you won't scrub it, try alcohol or any other products on it except the ones intended for it. Oh, and if you come from a long trip with lots of bugs you should wash the car, not wait two weeks. No different than wine on the clothes or birdshit on paint (which should be removed on spot).
If you are waxing your car as should (let's say spring and fall) you will love it.
Plus you need to have a guy that knows how to install it properly.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

BMW X1 hood. Everything is covered by film; fenders, bumper, even the headlamps. You wouldn't say, right?

8 Years old 3M film on Honda Accord. As per my specs, the 3M covers whole hood, full fenders, full headlamps, full fog lamps, full front bumper with sport package. The 3M was "custom made" as the guy need it to cut it and mold it by hand. The car looks like new with the film on it; imagine without the film.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:24 AM   #16
FrozenInCND
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I guess that is either very poorly installed by the guy who did it or you expect to look very beautiful by doing nothing.

I am not picky, but OCD with my cars and I am VERY pleased with my film.
I had it in my previous cars, and I have it on my present cars including an 8 years old Accord. You will see nothing on it and it should be invisible.
BUT
You need to wash your car, and wax the film at least twice a year with wax so bugs wont stain it. You must make sure that you won't scrub it, try alcohol or any other products on it except the ones intended for it. Oh, and if you come from a long trip with lots of bugs you should wash the car, not wait two weeks. No different than wine on the clothes or birdshit on paint (which should be removed on spot).
If you are waxing your car as should (let's say spring and fall) you will love it.
Plus you need to have a guy that knows how to install it properly.

As I said my car was brand new the 3M bra was on it less then a two months in that time it was washed at least 4 times. As for the installers, it was put on by a company that my BMW deal sent it to before I picked it up. As for love it, no but it is better than rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #17
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I don't want to rain your parade, but I always say no to the dealer install. They do a very poor job and so the companies they work with. Maybe due to the volume?

I have a friend, he paid for 3M on his car, the car was done by a third party shop, and after few problems we found out that the film on the car was not a 3M...

I don't want to imply anything but usually, dealers try to get a good deal by shopping for the cheapest shop. There are LOTS of money on these dealers financial offices that are coming from "protection packages", "Extra warranty", etc.
That's why I think a dedicated shop is better.

If the 3M is peeling, bubbling, scorching, whatever, you should get the vehicle back to the dealer and have it redone. It wouldn't hurt anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 05:55 AM   #18
Mr Kleen
teh porcupine
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla 3 LR AWD

Garage List
2013 BMW X1  [10.00]
Wrap the entire car. If you don't want a different color, wrap it in clear. With the entire car wrapped you are protected all around and can use any car wash you like with no worry about swirled paint.

After I wrapped my 135, I'm sold on it. We'll be wrapping the wife's X1 in the next few months.
      01-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #19
CVX1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mineral Gray X1 x28i

I thought about doing it and wish I had. Went with opticoat instead which has been great but does nothing to stop rock chips and the paint on my X1 is quite weak. I have chips all over my car (probably 6 or 7 on and behind my driver side rear door for some weird reason!!!). The guy who installed my opticoat was great (Joe at Orinda Motors) and warned me about BMW paint but having almost not chips in my other cars after years of ownership I thought he was just one one of those extreme OCD guys.

Love the opticoat because the car has no swirls or scratches but it's a chip magnet so I would recommend xpel if you care about that sort of thing.

Last edited by CVX1; 01-24-2015 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0