XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-29-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
cmg4511
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 23d, 525d

New X1 23d- day 1 impressions

Recently moved to Europe where I have switched from a X5 30d and a 135i vert back home to a X1 23d and 525d. Took delivery of the X1 23d today. Ended up taking a BMW demo car because the waiting list is around 4 months and I needed a 4wd fast as there has been a heap of snow over here and I am spending the next couple of weeks in the mountains on holidays.

It includes just about all the options. First impressions after day 1 are:

Engine - not a strong as I expected it to be. Step off and mid-range feels lazier that my X5. But it easily ran up to 180Kph on the way home with no problems. Very stable. Tracks nicely. However, as many others have reported, motor is quite coarse. Much more so than my X5 (admittedly a six cyl), but crucially, 10 times more so than a 2.0 Tdi Q5 I recently drove. Very disappointing to say the least. Will probably drive me nuts during the next 3 years of ownership.

Servotronic steering - feels very weird is certain situations. On cobblestone streets with varying camber, it cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. You get what feels like torque steer as the steering loads chops and changes. Also at the crucial 120-130 kph cruise you get a distinct vibration thru the steering wheel which I again put down to Servotronic. Above and below this speed it is ok. Answer, drive faster.

Satnav Professional - highly inaccurate. Always at least 500 metres off target. Some directions coming when you are almost past the corner or turnoff. So much so that I ended up testing TomTom on my iPad against it. TomTom was much more accurate.

Ride - rides a whole lot better than the X5 or the 135i. Was expecting worse given some of the reports, especially riding on 18's with sport suspension but was pleasantly surprised. It is firm, but compliant. A nice blend.

Adaptive headlights - very cool and very effective. Highly recommended.

Interior - while I can see areas where the materials are not quite up to scratch, I quite like it. Not up to X5 standards but pretty good nonetheless.

Will take some pictures in the snow and post in the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #2
OliNZ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMWx1

yeah the X1's can do with more sound proofing material
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:44 AM   #3
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Regarding the Satnav Professional, I had the same problem, it was the shark fin antenna that broked after two months... The Nav showed my car parked in the middle of a lake
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Hi cmg,

Good choice of cars indeed....

I don't think you can compare X1 and X5 (let alone a 4L vs a 6L engine), except for the "X" tag, they are just two different cars in every respect.

As it's been said here earlier, I'm not even sure the X1 should get the "X" label, as it's more a slightly jacked-up wagon than a real SUV. (It reminds me in concept of the Chrysler Pacifica of 04/06).

By the way, is it out of line to ask where you are in Europe ?

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 12-30-2010 at 04:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #5
cmg4511
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 23d, 525d

Antwerpen (Anvers) Belgium
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
tompak23d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Hi cmg,

Good choice of cars indeed....

I don't think you can compare X1 and X5 (let alone a 4L vs a 6L engine), except for the "X" tag, they are just two different cars in every respect.

As it's been said here earlier, I'm not even sure the X1 should get the "X" label, as it's more a slightly jacked-up wagon than a real SUV. (It reminds me in concept of the Chrysler Pacifica of 04/06).

By the way, is it out of line to ask where you are in Europe ?
Well, BMW X1 = SAV, not a SUV
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2010, 01:04 PM   #7
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmg4511 View Post
Recently moved to Europe where I have switched from a X5 30d and a 135i vert back home to a X1 23d and 525d. Took delivery of the X1 23d today. Ended up taking a BMW demo car because the waiting list is around 4 months and I needed a 4wd fast as there has been a heap of snow over here and I am spending the next couple of weeks in the mountains on holidays.

It includes just about all the options. First impressions after day 1 are:

Engine - not a strong as I expected it to be. Step off and mid-range feels lazier that my X5. But it easily ran up to 180Kph on the way home with no problems. Very stable. Tracks nicely. However, as many others have reported, motor is quite coarse. Much more so than my X5 (admittedly a six cyl), but crucially, 10 times more so than a 2.0 Tdi Q5 I recently drove. Very disappointing to say the least. Will probably drive me nuts during the next 3 years of ownership.

Servotronic steering - feels very weird is certain situations. On cobblestone streets with varying camber, it cannot make up its mind what it wants to do. You get what feels like torque steer as the steering loads chops and changes. Also at the crucial 120-130 kph cruise you get a distinct vibration thru the steering wheel which I again put down to Servotronic. Above and below this speed it is ok. Answer, drive faster.

Satnav Professional - highly inaccurate. Always at least 500 metres off target. Some directions coming when you are almost past the corner or turnoff. So much so that I ended up testing TomTom on my iPad against it. TomTom was much more accurate.

Ride - rides a whole lot better than the X5 or the 135i. Was expecting worse given some of the reports, especially riding on 18's with sport suspension but was pleasantly surprised. It is firm, but compliant. A nice blend.

Adaptive headlights - very cool and very effective. Highly recommended.

Interior - while I can see areas where the materials are not quite up to scratch, I quite like it. Not up to X5 standards but pretty good nonetheless.

Will take some pictures in the snow and post in the next few days.
Hi cmg4511 and welcome here
Thanks for your unbiased review/experiences on the X1.

I agree with other posts here that you cannot really compare the X1 with the X5. Completely different cars in all aspects, not least of which is off-road ability, price and size. The X1 is a crossover, plain and simple, and of the cars I tested a great combination of space, performance (both on and off road, 4x4 ability, not so much off-road but snow/farm tracks/wet etc) and last but not least a reasonable price. There really is no other like it here in the UK, although I am sure others will disagree but that’s another discussion.

I think its cheap price (relative) means that BMW have cut some corners like sound insulation and quality of the interior. The 2.0d engine is the same that’s fitted to the 3-series and if you have driven one you will agree that the 3 is much more insulated inside. The engine itself I don't think is a problem, its a peach. The first diesel I have ever considered buying. I have also driven a 2.0TDi Q5 and I agree that the engine feels more refined although the BMW's has more power, better consumption and lower emissions. In short I don't think its the engine but rather the insulation that’s better. Saying that I hated the Q5 as I could not get comfortable with the offset driving position. I also don't think that the Q5's off road ability is any better than the A4 All Road its based on so pretty much the same as the X1.

Anyway, just my opinion, everyone buys a car for different reasons.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 01:38 AM   #9
Artemiy
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
I also don't think that the Q5's off road ability is any better than the A4 All Road its based on so pretty much the same as the X1.
I have read multiple tests that featured Q5 or A4 allroad, as well as X1, in mild off road conditions (light mud, snow, etc.). The problem Audis *always* had is the DSG box that overheated after a few minutes of wheel spin. X1 and other cars with traditional automatics didn't have this problem, and could go much further. So no, their off road abilities are not the same. X1 is better :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #10
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

True, but I think Audi might just release a blinder with the Q3 whenever released in '11.

TBH, at the back of my mind I can't help but think maybe I should have waited instead of ordering the X1.

The Q3 might just pip the X1 in terms of refinement and desirability. And to be brutally honest, the X1 will look pretty stale in a year or two.

On the other hand, I think the Q3 might actually cost more than the X1, and Audi won't have a genuine entry-level model like the sDrive18i petrol that I and Chrisso and Konstantinos have ordered.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 03:33 AM   #11
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemiy View Post
I have read multiple tests that featured Q5 or A4 allroad, as well as X1, in mild off road conditions (light mud, snow, etc.). The problem Audis *always* had is the DSG box that overheated after a few minutes of wheel spin. X1 and other cars with traditional automatics didn't have this problem, and could go much further. So no, their off road abilities are not the same. X1 is better :-)
I'm not sure about how sound is the rationale in your demonstration artemiy...
You take two specific models under extremely specific circumstances ("after a few minutes of wheel spin") and draw the generic conclusion that one is better than the other ?

Sorry but I'm struggling with the reasoning here...
      12-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicm View Post
True, but I think Audi might just release a blinder with the Q3 whenever released in '11.

TBH, at the back of my mind I can't help but think maybe I should have waited instead of ordering the X1.

The Q3 might just pip the X1 in terms of refinement and desirability. And to be brutally honest, the X1 will look pretty stale in a year or two.

On the other hand, I think the Q3 might actually cost more than the X1, and Audi won't have a genuine entry-level model like the sDrive18i petrol that I and Chrisso and Konstantinos have ordered.
Hi Manicm, Not too sure about that, as far as I know the Q3 will be based on the same setup as the A3/A4 quatros. Also seem to recall that it's going to be a 3 door only.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:02 AM   #13
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi Manicm, Not too sure about that, as far as I know the Q3 will be based on the same setup as the A3/A4 quatros. Also seem to recall that it's going to be a 3 door only.
Or how about this

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...cajun_suv.html
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 04:42 AM   #14
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Oh yeah the Baby Cayenne huh ? ... I'm not a fan personnally (neither am I of the Cayenne and Porsche in general). But my wife has already her sights on it !

I suppose that a release date of 2013 will require she gets something after the X1 et before the Cajun though!
      12-31-2010, 05:21 AM   #15
manicm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive18i

The 'Cajun' will be based on the Q5, and therefore will be priced between an X3/Q5 and an X5 I would say.

As far as I know the Q3 will be 5dr.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 05:24 AM   #16
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

The rendering I have seen of the Q3 shows a 5 door indeed (somewhat a jacked-up A3 was the impression I got... )
      12-31-2010, 07:30 AM   #17
Artemiy
Rep

Quote:
I'm not sure about how sound is the rationale in your demonstration artemiy...
You take two specific models under extremely specific circumstances ("after a few minutes of wheel spin") and draw the generic conclusion that one is better than the other ?

Sorry but I'm struggling with the reasoning here...
I think you didn't get me right... Let me explain the case again.

A car goes onto a muddy road. Obviously, once in a few seconds, one of the wheels spins as the car searches for traction. The thing is, DSG can not handle this for more than a few minutes, it overheats and reports an error. Q5 and A4 allroad behaved like this in a few tests. X1 and GLK were fine in the same tests.

What's not clear here? :-)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #18
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Quote:

A car goes onto a muddy road. Obviously, once in a few seconds, one of the wheels spins as the car searches for traction. The thing is, DSG can not handle this for more than a few minutes, it overheats and reports an error. Q5 and A4 allroad behaved like this in a few tests. X1 and GLK were fine in the same tests.

No you were. But you are comparing a specific model to another one, in specific circumstances (off-road, and most likely mud & trail), which in my view cannot be drawn conclusively as the X1 being altogether better than the Q5 (and I'm an X1 owner ).
Besides, the X1 is not an SUV, and statisticly most Q5s and X1s owners never get into "heavy off-roading" anyway (otherwise they'd go for a Defender or a Pathfinder for instance).
In most other, usual environments, a DSG is likely to be more precise, quick and pleasant to handle than a traditional automatic gearbox.

That's why in my humble opinion, drawing such drastic conclusions is a bit stretching it.
      12-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
The 'Cajun' will be based on the Q5, and therefore will be priced between an X3/Q5 and an X5 I would say.
Don't care I want one

Quote:
As far as I know the Q3 will be 5dr.
OK, I concede. There are pictures of both 3 and 5 doors.

Quote:
The rendering I have seen of the Q3 shows a 5 door indeed (somewhat a jacked-up A3 was the impression I got... )
Quote:

Quote:
No you were. But you are comparing a specific model to another one, in specific circumstances (off-road, and most likely mud & trail), which in my view cannot be drawn conclusively as the X1 being altogether better than the Q5 (and I'm an X1 owner ).
Besides, the X1 is not an SUV, and statisticly most Q5s and X1s owners never get into "heavy off-roading" anyway (otherwise they'd go for a Defender or a Pathfinder for instance).
In most other, usual environments, a DSG is likely to be more precise, quick and pleasant to handle than a traditional automatic gearbox.

That's why in my humble opinion, drawing such drastic conclusions is a bit stretching it.
Now guys....

IMHO based on size and price

Q7 = X5
Q6 (launch 2011?) = X6
Q5 = X3 (Take note of this one as its a better comparison, btw the X3 is better)
Q4 (launch 2011) = X1
Q3 = No direct comparison but possibly the X2 (launch 2012)
Possibly a Q2 = Mini Countryman
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
Artemiy
Rep

Quote:

With all due respect, I think you're stretching my conclusion yourself :-)

I was replying *specifically* to a sentence by mario486 where he said that Q5's off road ability is pretty much the same as X1. In this specific situation, a normal automatic is better. Plus, I have heard reviewers noting that X1's automatic works more smooth and without jerks compared to Q5's DSG. BTW even Porsche engineers said that for off road use PDK is worse than normal automatic (same overheating issue), which is why Cayenne has one and Panamera doesn't.

The bottom line is: objectively, X1's automatic is better suited for off road use than DSG.

BTW I am NOT comparing X1 and Q5 as such. Only their drivetrain technology.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2010, 10:58 AM   #21
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep

Okay now, don't forget I'm, as a Second Lieutenant, your superior ! How do you think we earn our stripes uh? You are not to discuss my statements ! Jeez, where are the mods when we need them ?

Just teasing you !!

Fair enough... Classic automatic is indeed better suited for off-road.. I'm with you here..
No matter what, I wouldn't trade the X1 for a Q5 anytime anyway...
      12-31-2010, 11:25 AM   #22
Artemiy
Rep

Quote:
Okay now, don't forget I'm, as a Second Lieutenant, your superior ! How do you think we earn our stripes uh? You are not to discuss my statements ! Jeez, where are the mods when we need them ?
LOL :-)))

Quote:
Fair enough... Classic automatic is indeed better suited for off-road.. I'm with you here..
Yes, that was my point exactly!

Quote:
No matter what, I wouldn't trade the X1 for a Q5 anytime anyway...
+1000 ;-)
Appreciate 0