Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

X1 LED Angel Eyes

Dear all,

I recently reviewed the options of changing the amber fabric to LED angel eyes. Most are discouraging. So according to h8 led, each bulbs costs like 250 USD, and I need what 4 of them? Not very nice price tag.

I was wondering if you guys think it is as simple as swapping X3 led lights for the X1 current ones.

Would it be better to wait a whole year for the 2013 X1 because AFAIK the 2012 model has the same lights.

What have you done or planning to do? I cant resist new bimmers w led lights looking that amazing!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Fliegenfranz
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: X1 x20dA

test brighter lamps (GP Thunder,H11 BLUETECH,...) combined with power-increase for angel eyes (car-coding)... or wait for the facelift/new model
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
chx437
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3(G01)

Hi,
I have also played with the LED angel eyes a bit: my X1 has the BMW Xenon lights with the corona rings illuminated originally with the well known yellowish halogen 35W H8 bulbs.

First I changed the halogen bulbs to LED H8 units from HIDS-Direct: BMW XTEC led angel eyes marker kit

Although the white color of XTEC leds was excellent when used with Xenon's but unfortunately they were too dim to be used as DRLs. One XTEC LED H8 unit has four individual leds and it takes totally about 3.3 W electrical power (after the controller). The brightness of the XTEC H8 LED units is the same regardless of the "light" mode of the car (in DRL mode the BMW in-built "DRL controller" supplies almost the full voltage (13 V) to the DRL bulb but in parking-light mode or in the head-light-on mode only 7 to 9 volts are supplied to the DRL bulbs - the supply voltage is also adjusted according to the current taken by the bulb).

After tried the XTEC leds I ordered new LUX H8 LED bulbs, see: LUX H8 products. LUX H8 are claimed to be among the brightest (if not the brightest) available now in H8 format but also they are more than twice as expensive as the XTEC leds.

Both the above H8 LED units are relatively easy to install: one just opens the cover of the inner head light (from engine room) and replaces the original H8 bulb and places the LED controller into empty space inside the inner head light.

According to my experience the LUX H8 leds are far more brighter than my previous XTEC H8 leds. With LUX H8 both the corona rings, the inner and also the outer ring, are clearly visible also in bright day light. However they seem not to be as bright as the new in-built led corona rings in the new BMW X3 or BMW 5 models (...in these new BMW models the led units have totally new design and cannot be used or upgraded to our today's X1s).

One LUX H8 LED unit consists of 4 leds installed into a firm aluminum body (in H8 format). The input electrical power (including the controller) of one LUX H8 unit is roughly 8.5 W. Also with LUX H8 the controller provides stable power to the leds so that the brightness is the same regardless of the "light mode" of the car.

In addition to the above H8 LED experiments I also have installed extra DRL led units underneath the front bumper. The units are from Philips: Philips LED Daylight 8. These units are officially E-accepted in Europe and they have been stamped as "00RL 02A", so in addition to the DRL mode they have a dim mode which is used when the normal head lights are on. One Philips LED units takes roughly 4 watts electrical power in the normal DRL mode and 0.1 watt in the dim mode. When looking the car from front and both the corona rings (with LUX H8) and the extra Philips DRLs are on, one must say that the Philips units seem to be brighter.

I have attached three pictures about my BMW X1 with led angel eyes / DRLs:
- with LUX H8 corona rings on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Philips DRLs on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Xenon head light on and with Phillips DRLs dimmed
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
toejam0.00
      06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #4
empyrean
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240 M Performance edition

Amazing information, thanks for the input, Ill get my H8s right away!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chx437 View Post
Hi,
I have also played with the LED angel eyes a bit: my X1 has the BMW Xenon lights with the corona rings illuminated originally with the well known yellowish halogen 35W H8 bulbs.

First I changed the halogen bulbs to LED H8 units from HIDS-Direct: BMW XTEC led angel eyes marker kit

Although the white color of XTEC leds was excellent when used with Xenon's but unfortunately they were too dim to be used as DRLs. One XTEC LED H8 unit has four individual leds and it takes totally about 3.3 W electrical power (after the controller). The brightness of the XTEC H8 LED units is the same regardless of the "light" mode of the car (in DRL mode the BMW in-built "DRL controller" supplies almost the full voltage (13 V) to the DRL bulb but in parking-light mode or in the head-light-on mode only 7 to 9 volts are supplied to the DRL bulbs - the supply voltage is also adjusted according to the current taken by the bulb).

After tried the XTEC leds I ordered new LUX H8 LED bulbs, see: LUX H8 products. LUX H8 are claimed to be among the brightest (if not the brightest) available now in H8 format but also they are more than twice as expensive as the XTEC leds.

Both the above H8 LED units are relatively easy to install: one just opens the cover of the inner head light (from engine room) and replaces the original H8 bulb and places the LED controller into empty space inside the inner head light.

According to my experience the LUX H8 leds are far more brighter than my previous XTEC H8 leds. With LUX H8 both the corona rings, the inner and also the outer ring, are clearly visible also in bright day light. However they seem not to be as bright as the new in-built led corona rings in the new BMW X3 or BMW 5 models (...in these new BMW models the led units have totally new design and cannot be used or upgraded to our today's X1s).

One LUX H8 LED unit consists of 4 leds installed into a firm aluminum body (in H8 format). The input electrical power (including the controller) of one LUX H8 unit is roughly 8.5 W. Also with LUX H8 the controller provides stable power to the leds so that the brightness is the same regardless of the "light mode" of the car.

In addition to the above H8 LED experiments I also have installed extra DRL led units underneath the front bumper. The units are from Philips: Philips LED Daylight 8. These units are officially E-accepted in Europe and they have been stamped as "00RL 02A", so in addition to the DRL mode they have a dim mode which is used when the normal head lights are on. One Philips LED units takes roughly 4 watts electrical power in the normal DRL mode and 0.1 watt in the dim mode. When looking the car from front and both the corona rings (with LUX H8) and the extra Philips DRLs are on, one must say that the Philips units seem to be brighter.

I have attached three pictures about my BMW X1 with led angel eyes / DRLs:
- with LUX H8 corona rings on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Philips DRLs on
- with LUX H8 corona rings and Xenon head light on and with Phillips DRLs dimmed
Great review and i'm glad your happy with them!!!! Can you please send me an e-mail at Sales@LuxAngelEyes.com ? i would like to ask you a couple quick questions. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Chica22
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 AND BMW X3

H8

Has anybody changed their day running lights for LED? My supplier can't find any H8 compatible for a 2015 X1.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #7
bassrebel
The Lazy one...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 C300 4Matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chica22 View Post
Has anybody changed their day running lights for LED? My supplier can't find any H8 compatible for a 2015 X1.

Thanks!
This may be the only remaining mod that I'd love to do to my x1... either put new looking Angel eyes or update the current one without spending $200 for bulbs
      05-05-2021, 11:06 PM   #8
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

This thread is from 2011...

2. Depends on country what you mean by DRLs. In the States, in a 2015 X1 with HIDs, you have actual LEDs in the rings. And those are your DRLs. Can't speak to Canada.

Send some more info on your setup and maybe a photo, I could help out.
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #9
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

I attached some examples of my E90 I did. This is round 2 redoing these lights, this time I did Hella G5 reps in them and changed the Halos for the third time.

Aliexpress LEDs

Hella G5 Reps

P.S. the worst part about the x1 lights are the oem projectors. They are terrible.
Attached Images

2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 10:27 PM   #10
drkimbo
Registered
Chile
Rep
Drives: BMW E84, two E39, E34

Hello friends, I am with a problem and my wife claiming, I changed the xenon to her car (it is an e84 x28i ), and they turn off and on by themselves, they remain off for longer than on, (they are D1S and sent me D3S), I beg you can help me
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 05:26 PM   #11
imrankabirayon
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X! XDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkimbo View Post
Hello friends, I am with a problem and my wife claiming, I changed the xenon to her car (it is an e84 x28i ), and they turn off and on by themselves, they remain off for longer than on, (they are D1S and sent me D3S), I beg you can help me
There are dedicated threads for this. Please open a thread and tell us what you did. I just went through the entire process. PITA
Appreciate 0