XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

06-28-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Aw (bird) cr@p

Washed the car today, noticed as I was washing a few bird droppings - no solids, just a splat, didnt think much of it - wash wash, dry, dry, cry cry

Big permanent marks in the gel coat - each the size of the dropping, all the way down into the black paint.

Unbelievable.

Doesn't polish out or wash off. Paint is, to all intents and purposes, ruined. Slap bang in the middle of the bonnet

2000 miles old and trashed. What do they make the paint out of, cheese?
And this was a polished and 'smart guarded' car.

If you see a bird dropping, either leave it forever or wash it off yesterday.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

Hi DWB1873,

Sorry to hear that. I have to ask, are you sure its gone through the clear lacquer coat as this is quite unusual. Not impossible but I have only seen this once, and that was bat sh!t.

I had a similar problem a few years ago when a bird, think is was seagull, left a huge deposit on my VW Golf while I was on holiday. By the time I got back it had truly burnt into the paint. Did not come off with a wash and a wax so I had to resort to something more aggressive. The product I used was 3M Polish, which is actually a rubbing compound. http://www.3mselect.co.uk/c-592-car-...mpounding.aspx

Anyway with a bit of patience and sweat I managed to get it completely out in about 2hrs. One thing though, you must be veeeery careful with this stuff as you are working directly with the paintwork. If you are not comfortable with doing this take it to a car detailer, who can do it for you.

Lastly I can only recommend to everyone to have your car properly waxed at least once a year, it does offer some protection against the elements, and our feathery friends.

There is another thread on this forum where I have explained my car care regime in detail. Its a bit OTT but the basics are there as well.

PS: Just reread your post. That Smartgaurd is cra4p, could be that thats been burnt off by the ammonia.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela

Last edited by mario486; 06-28-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
DWB1873
Private
Rep
Drives: X1 20d xDrive Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario486 View Post
Hi DWB1873,

Sorry to hear that. I have to ask, are you sure its gone through the clear lacquer coat as this is quite unusual. Not impossible but I have only seen this once, and that was bat sh!t.

Well, the paint/finish has 'wrinkled' - only way I can describe it - almost a textured look to it in the exact shape of the dropping.

It may only be top layer however the paint in this area has an edge when compared to the surrounding undamaged paint.

Funny thing is that from SOME angles you can't see it, but others or close-up... And it's not just one. Makes me wonder if it's something else actually, possibly not bird related.

Not sure what else would damage paint in that way.
Appreciate 0