Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grovsnus View Post
But doesn't the need to start the engine mean you're going to be delayed when the light turns green? Even if fast, it's not instantaneous. While in modern hybrids, the electric engine starts pulling immediately while the gas engine starts.

I think you have to put the 28i in sports mode where the engine stop is turned off, and rev it slightly before the light goes green to get anything like the 0-60 in 6.2 s (sDrive) or 6.3 s (xDrive) that BMW claims. With A.S.S. on, I would think it's closer to the Prius than you might think.
So you might want to keep your fingers off your shoulder unless you have a 35i.
If you want the best possible 0-60 time you will want to have the engine running before you start... obviously (it takes a little bit less than 1s for it to start)

It's very easy to re-start the engine after the start/stop system stops it: either dab the gas while staying on the brakes, or release pressure on the brakes but not completely doing what I call a 'reverse dab' (my personal choice).

Once you have re-started the engine, it will then NOT re-stop it until after you get moving again, no matter how long you wait stopped.

As for blowing away the Priuses (or most SUVs for that matter) from a stop I can assure you that any X1 (28 or 35) from a stop with the engine stopped by the start/stop system will easily catch up and blow by it probably after 100 feet or so, even in D mode. D mode is not slower than S mode to start from a stop: flatten the pedal in D mode and it will rev the engine all the way to the 7,000 rpm red line before switching to the next gear.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #24
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

First thing we do after starting the car is turn off auto start/stop. It's usable in rare situations but overall I would rather have it default to OFF.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
36Joules
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e, 2018 S3, TeslaM3P

Confirm my dealer enabled "Last User Mode" before I picked up the car. Works great. Turned ASS off, and it stays off.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #26
stonex1
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13' X1, 02' Chev S10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36Joules View Post
Confirm my dealer enabled "Last User Mode"
Okay, so how exactly does that work?
If you turn ASS on, does it then stay on?
or is it just set to always start with it off?

How does eco mode affect it?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #27
e84PeyC
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xDrive28

When you come to a stop, you can actually choose not to apply ASS by several ways:
1. turn your steering wheel to a wide angle...not sure the exact threshold
2. normally when you break steadily, ASS will apply after you come to a complete stop. However, if you release your break paddle slightly right before you come to a complete stop, you can actually temporarily disable ASS because it's programed that way. ASS do not activate during heavy traffic, and by doing what i just said is simulating a "heavy traffic" situation so as to disable ASS.

Practice a bit and you will find it easy and fun to control ASS they way you want it to be. It's designed so that you can have it when you need it. It takes time to get used to, but it's really a good thing to have when you know you have to wait for a while before lights turn green or your significant other gets on the car. If it is so useless, why all of a sudden all major luxury brands are having this system on new cars? I heard even new Lamborghini has this feature. Why not give it a shot and practice a bit?

Last edited by e84PeyC; 10-16-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

I really don't understand all the bitching about this feature on all the BMW threads. All you have to do it press a button to turn it off, is it that hard to hit a button when your adjusting volume, messing with all the other adjustments you make while driving? I guess everyone needs something to complain about but seriously how hard is it to hit a button?
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #29
Bimmerized
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 sDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
Okay, so how exactly does that work?
If you turn ASS on, does it then stay on?
or is it just set to always start with it off?

How does eco mode affect it?

Thx
with the dealer mod, upon engine start-up ASS defaults to the last mode used when the car was shut off. You can therefore have it default to OFF or ON depending on where you left it last.

Eco Pro is turned Off by default each time the engine is started. If Eco Pro is turned On the ASS turns ON as well, regardless of whether it was OFF. However you can still turn ASS back off with the button. This is a little annoying, but I don't use Eco Pro, so it hasn't really been an issue.

(The reason why we are uphappy with manually turning off ASS is that it becomes a chore to push the button each time we drive, no matter how easy that may seem and many times we may forget until the engine shuts off.)

Now, does anyone know of a way of to turn AST/DSC Off by default or to the last Last User Mode? I did this by installing a capacitor under the switch of my AST button on my E36. Works great 95% of the time. I may have to try the same trick in this car too.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 11:48 PM   #30
popopine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Blk x3 m40eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
I really don't understand all the bitching about this feature on all the BMW threads. All you have to do it press a button to turn it off, is it that hard to hit a button when your adjusting volume, messing with all the other adjustments you make while driving? I guess everyone needs something to complain about but seriously how hard is it to hit a button?
Dude, it's not hard to do, it's hard to remember to do. Half the time I don't remember until the car shuts off. It's not just a PITA, it can be dangerous. MO.
Appreciate 0