XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

12-23-2015, 08:25 AM   #1
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

heat getting in through moonroof cover..

In summer my X1 gets really hot inside and ac suffers to keep the interior cool esp. the rear area for rear passengers. Recently I noticed that moonroof cover from inside gets really hot while the other parts of the roofliner are cool. it seems there's no heat shield going on there and hence letting heat in. So I was thinking if only there's a way to install heat shield from behind the sliding moonroof cover. Any thoughts? Thanks

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy
In summer my X1 gets really hot inside and ac suffers to keep the interior cool esp. the rear area for rear passengers. Recently I noticed that moonroof cover from inside gets really hot while the other parts of the roofliner are cool. it seems there's no heat shield going on there and hence letting heat in. So I was thinking if only there's a way to install heat shield from behind the sliding moonroof cover. Any thoughts? Thanks
You could tint the sunroof. Ours had 30% ceramic tint so never got that hot, even in 100's/40's C. But nothing to stop you from putting 5% tint on the sunroof.

My old M Coupe didn't have a cover at all and I added tint to the sunroof and it blocked nearly all of the heat coming in. Plus it helps hold the glass together in case it breaks, something Z3 M Coupe sunroofs really liked to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Tinting the moon roof could help. I would highly recommend to tint the rear windows and trunk gate. We did that when we got the car in August and it helps immensely.

You could also try applying a silver reflective film to the fabric moon roof cover. You'd probably have to take it apart to do it but then you wouldn't need to tint the moon roof if you're not comfortable with that.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #4
jaeezzy
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive18d M Sport

thanks for the reply guys. I got my car tinted by the dealer themselves when the car was delivered but I don't think that included the moonroof glass. So, might look into doing it as well. Cheers!!

jaeezzy...
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 11:46 PM   #5
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
thanks for the reply guys. I got my car tinted by the dealer themselves when the car was delivered but I don't think that included the moonroof glass. So, might look into doing it as well. Cheers!!
Not sure what the dealership used but not all tints are created equal. Just make sure the one you have is designed to block heat. I have 3M ceramic tint and the car stays cold on the parking lot. Mind you I also don't notice the moon roof letting in heat so you're likely in a much hotter climate.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 07:45 AM   #6
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeezzy View Post
I didn't even think about the moon roof when I was having my windows tinted by the dealer. Have to get a good tint and do it myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #7
Carlin/14/E84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 x1 bmw

My problem is not the heat so much, is the after effect when the interior cools off the dashboard and the doors surround plastic emits this terrible smell like cat urine. What to do about it? I don't know I have sprayed scented fragrance to clear the air only last a day or two. Note: I do not own a cat, and no cats around where I live (too many coyotes) the car is always garaged.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

It could be something you used to clean the plastic? Maybe one of the conditioners?

And I'm assuming the car isn't new (I.e. has had a chance to air out)?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:40 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Here in Westsylvania, we don't have a lot of sunload, but in FL I kept the sunshade pulled all the time.
For the PP with the smelly interior, you didn't hit something skunky, or get something evil in the air intake?
Moon
Appreciate 0