Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

04-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #1
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 35i

Strange Tire Wear

Hey Everyone. I bought new a little over a year ago, and my left front is wearing very abnormally. I had a alignment done, I can't find the receipt, but everything was good.

The scrubbing on the outside edges seems strange, as the OEM ContiPro run flats didn't do that.

I went to replace my brakes and I found my front right tire like this:

Right side is fine!

Any ideas? Anyone else had problems like this on the X1 before? Never been in an accident. Alignment specs were okay. I haven't gone back to get another alignment, as now I'm waiting for 2 new tires to be delivered, but I figured I would throw it out here just to see.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:46 PM   #2
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Couple questions:
1) Have you maintained proper tire pressures? And ensured they were equal left to right?
2) Have you had the TIRES rotated on the WHEELS (remove and swap tires, leaving wheels where they are)? Sorta silly but you never know these days...
3) How many miles on this set? What brand/model are they?

To me, it looks like the toe is out just a bit which can show both inner and outer tire shoulder wear. Especially if the toe isn’t balanced left to right side.
      04-14-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1aze View Post
Couple questions:
1) Have you maintained proper tire pressures? And ensured they were equal left to right?
2) Have you had the TIRES rotated on the WHEELS (remove and swap tires, leaving wheels where they are)? Sorta silly but you never know these days...
3) How many miles on this set? What brand/model are they?

To me, it looks like the toe is out just a bit which can show both inner and outer tire shoulder wear. Especially if the toe isn’t balanced left to right side.
Yes, I tend to check tire pressures every couple of weeks. Ironically enough, I've added air to the rear tires a couple of times, but the fronts are always good.

Both are 32/33psi. They have always been +/- 1 or 2 psi of each other.

No, they are "directional" tires, stupid buy, I know. I did rotate both sides front to back (LF to LR and RF to RR) about 7000 miles ago.

They are Vercelli Strada II tires. Stock size, 225/45/18

I agree it almost looks like an underinflated tire. But it hasn't been. The cupping of the inside is really what has be baffled, because the right front doesn't have that.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpAndCunning View Post
Yes, I tend to check tire pressures every couple of weeks. Ironically enough, I've added air to the rear tires a couple of times, but the fronts are always good.

Both are 32/33psi. They have always been +/- 1 or 2 psi of each other.

No, they are "directional" tires, stupid buy, I know. I did rotate both sides front to back (LF to LR and RF to RR) about 7000 miles ago.

They are Vercelli Strada II tires. Stock size, 225/45/18

I agree it almost looks like an underinflated tire. But it hasn't been. The cupping of the inside is really what has be baffled, because the right front doesn't have that.
I’m convinced it’s toe wear. BMW allows for a fairly wide range of toe angle. I’d bring it to a good independent shop and have them align it to zero to angle or as close as absolutely possible.
      04-21-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’m convinced it’s toe wear. BMW allows for a fairly wide range of toe angle. I’d bring it to a good independent shop and have them align it to zero to angle or as close as absolutely possible.
Thanks. I found a local indi shop that seems pretty legit. BMW did an alignment when I bought it, and I had one done since, but they didn't ask me to bring it in with a full tank and other things this shop is saying. He said the wear seems pretty consistent with the tire being toe'd in or out and a bit too much negative camber. He said it's almost like the tire is being dragged down the road. It seemed to make a reasonable amount of sense.

Hopefully these are adjustable things on the X1.

He also mentioned it's a couple hour process to get it right, and I know for a fact the last alignment and oil change took less than 90 minutes. So I'm guessing they either didn't do it correctly, or they left something loose.

We shall see when I drop it off.
Appreciate 1
b1aze565.50
      04-21-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 s28i M Sport

That kind of extreme edge wear looks like either suspension bushing loose or just a bad tire with inside tread separation.

I read reviews on Amazon of this Chinese tire, and the guy that really liked them said he rotated them because it made it look like a front bushing was out.

He said he got 40k miles while another guy said they were 10k mile tires.

I wanna get the best feel of my BMW so I run Michelin PS4S, but will probably go to the Michelin All season Pilot Sport next time.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 04-21-2021 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 11:19 AM   #7
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

I realize it's missing a little bit of information, but this is how my car came into the Indy Shop. Also, BMW "allegedly" did a full alignment last year, and I can't fathom how all 4 wheels could be this far out of alignment.

Does this explain the left front tire wear? And how?

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 12:55 PM   #8
Roch M4
I /// M FAN
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4 SS/SO 2016 / X5M C 2023

Do you know if your car was involved in a car accident before your buy it? My wife had a rear end accident while waiting at a red light, a small crash were they replaced the rear bumper, the tail light and a wheel (Toyota Yaris with 10 000 miles) 6 months later when I installed the winter tires I noticed an unusual wear of the rear tires and a little less in the front. I suspected that it was related to the accident. She went to the shop were they did the repairs and they said everything was fine. So I went to another place and ask them to check the alignment of the car ( I knew it was the rear right wheel) after 20 mn the technician ask if the car has an accident and I told him, then he told me that the rear beam supporting the wheels was affected. We sent a letter to the insurance, the repair shop and to the Toyota dealer...2 days later they replaced the rear frame and beam supporting the wheels in addition with 4 new tires, all free of charge...driving the car was like a new car, completely different feeling, light steering etc...

Last edited by Roch M4; 05-04-2021 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roch M4 View Post
Do you know if your car was involved in a car accident before your buy it? My wife had a rear end accident while waiting at a red light, a small crash were they replaced the rear bumper, the tail light and a wheel (Toyota Yaris with 10 000 miles) 6 months later when I installed the winter tires I noticed an unusual wear of the rear tires and a little less in the front. I suspected that it was related to the accident. She went to the shop were they did the repairs and they said everything was fine. So I went to another place and ask them to check the alignment of the car ( I knew it was the rear right wheel) after 20 mn the technician ask if the car has an accident and I told him, then he told me that the rear beam supporting the wheels was affected. We sent a letter to the insurance, the repair shop and to the Toyota dealer...2 days later they replaced the rear frame and beam supporting the wheels in addition with 4 new tires, all free of charge...driving the car was like a new car, completely different feeling, light steering etc...
Interesting idea. I certainly haven't had an accident with the car. A few hard stops, sure, but no accidents.

The weird thing was, I bought the car with OEM runflats, and two tires wore faster, but none were abnormally worn. But with the Vercelli's it became apparent quite quickly there was a problem. Obviously I could have hit a couple of good sized potholes and thrown things out a bit, but all 4 wheels!? The alignment is supposedly good now, so we shall see. I will check them every few thousand miles and report back.

Last edited by SharpAndCunning; 05-05-2021 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
chance91
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 335d

Quote:
I realize it's missing a little bit of information, but this is how my car came into the Indy Shop. Also, BMW "allegedly" did a full alignment last year, and I can't fathom how all 4 wheels could be this far out of alignment.

Does this explain the left front tire wear? And how?

Like the guy originally mentioned, the toe looks like it was the culprit at 0.16". You now have neutral steer ahead, there's nothing wrong with just a little toe in, as it tends to make the vehicle track better. True 0.0 steer ahead can actually be undesirable at times. If the car feels good at speed, don't worry about it.

Hopefully it works going forward.

Here's a short guide on tire wear interpretations

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...eer_BFG_EN.pdf
2005 MX-5 LS swap
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #11
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance91 View Post
Like the guy originally mentioned, the toe looks like it was the culprit at 0.16". You now have neutral steer ahead, there's nothing wrong with just a little toe in, as it tends to make the vehicle track better. True 0.0 steer ahead can actually be undesirable at times. If the car feels good at speed, don't worry about it.

Hopefully it works going forward.

Here's a short guide on tire wear interpretations

https://www.michelinb2b.com/wps/b2bc...eer_BFG_EN.pdf

I'm not intentionally trying to be dense, I just don't understand. How does the passenger front side Toe at .16 create the abnormal cupping/wear I experienced on the drivers side front tire?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 03:17 PM   #12
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

That very slight right tow- in might wear outside edges, but you have both sides with extreme wear.

I still think it's a defective tire or maybe extreme bushing slop when braking or accelerating.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 11:56 AM   #13
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm not intentionally trying to be dense, I just don't understand. How does the passenger front side Toe at .16 create the abnormal cupping/wear I experienced on the drivers side front tire?
Do you do a lot of highway on/off ramp at higher than posted speed? The drivers side wheel is typically the outside tire at that point and thus gets pushed into (takes the bulk of the load).
      05-09-2021, 10:31 PM   #14
SharpAndCunning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
That very slight right tow- in might wear outside edges, but you have both sides with extreme wear.

I still think it's a defective tire or maybe extreme bushing slop when braking or accelerating.
Interesting. The indie shop said everything was fine when the aligned it that nothing is worn out, etc. The car only has 62k miles on it.

Is there a certain bushing you're thinking might be worn that I can check, for peace of mind?

The inside wear was definitely worse, significantly worse than the outside.

Quote:
Do you do a lot of highway on/off ramp at higher than posted speed? The drivers side wheel is typically the outside tire at that point and thus gets pushed into (takes the bulk of the load).
I mean, probably once a day, but almost never to the point where the tires are squealing or struggling.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
0w40X1
Lieutenant
Rep

I have the s28i, so no bushings like on the xdrive. Just jack up wheel, and pull all directions really hard. Anything loose should be felt.

I still think it could be interior of tire separated. Many other Chinese brands had the adhesive left out, and tires came loose internally.

I had a Stratus that I was sure needed alignment since car was pulling hard.

I'd sold lots of tires and never saw one do that, but one side of tread came loose inside, and tire was rolling LIKE A CONE.

Last edited by 0w40X1; 05-10-2021 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #16
e36addict
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 35iX

I would blame this all on cheap tires. If your previous set of Conti's didn't have the same issue, that answers your questions. I see cheap tires wear horribly all the time.