XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

05-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 Xdrive 28i

Dealer discrimination against tire insurance?

The past Saturday, 9 months after I took delivery of my X1, I got the second punctured tire. (Right rear last time, left rear now) I called the dealer (Rallye BMW on Long Island), hoping to bring the car in. The first question the lady asked on the phone was if I have tire insurance. I said yes. Then she said she has to contact the part department to see if the tire is in stock and call me back. I got the call back an hour later, and she said there was no tire in stock, and it is in back order. She said the soonest she could have me come in will be the following Satuarday, when they will have a loaner car available. Basically I was not permitted to bring the car in for the entire week with a flat tire. I just felt strange why did they even ask me if I had tire insurance even before I am scheduled to come in. It should be an irrelavant question when I am making an appointment. The first time I had the flat tire, I wasn't asked this question. I was allowed to go in right away. They did not have the tire so I got the loaner. The tire was ordered and replaced the second day. Now I am left without a car to drive for the whole week
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #2
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

Plug it! If it CAN be plugged.
Your dealer sucks, BTW. Mine would have offered up a loaner without me having to ask.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Just a note, but Discount/America's tire will sell you their insurance if you bring the car in during the first few thousand miles. Pirelli has a no patch/plug policy on their RFT's and this has saved me from paying for two new tires already and I don't have to wait to get the car into the dealer.

It was about $30/tire when I did it and I recall my dealer offering me the same thing for something silly like $100/mo. It also transfers to replacement tires for free, so keep getting flats and you'll never have to pay for it again.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
Plug it! If it CAN be plugged.
Your dealer sucks, BTW. Mine would have offered up a loaner without me having to ask.
My girlfriend let me driver her car this week...who knows maybe they will find a reason to deny my insurance coverage if I do my own quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
spotsbimmer
Rep
Drives: Deep sea metallic blue X1

I passed on the dealer's aftermarket $1100 tire/wheel refinishing warranty because there is a manufacturer's warranty for the Pirelli's that came on my car. See the link to Pirelli's warranty below.

http://www.pirelli.com/tire/ca/en/ca...yres.tab?tab=7
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #6
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Just an update, I brought the car in Sat morning and got a loaded 2014 328i Xdrive with 4K miles as a loaner for the weekend. I put 504 miles on it over the weekend and have it returned on Monday morning. The dealer replaced my tire, and did my oil change which was due in another 700 miles. The car was returned to me with a full service wash and all tires shined.
Okay here is my take on the 2014 328i....the steering feel sucks! It had no feel at all compared to my Xdrive 28i. The standard non-sport steering wheel felt bigger with a thinner girth than my Xline 28i steering wheel. The car does not feel any quiker, but damn the engine sound effect on the 328i is soooo sweet! It is way sexier than the X1...cannot believe they shared the same motor. Switching from comfort to sport mode requires the search for the button, and if you find it, you might have some trouble flipping it into the desired mode without some practice. And even when fully loaded, the 328i interior looked cheaper than the X1...the shifter sits on plastic...no leather wraps at the base. Cornering is maybe marginally flatter on the highway ramps. The loaner had 17" wheels, and my X1 runs on 18"s, and the 328i felt somewhat more comfortable on the highway. Gas mileage was much better on the 328i. Of the 504 miles driven, and I drove it hard, I averaged 28.7mpg. My X1 highway numbers are around 26mpg, and the mixed daily driving mileage was 20.7mpg. I have the engine start/stop disabled, and I never touched eco-pro. I never really pay a mind to gas consumption. When I returned the 328i, I am happy to get my X1 back, and now I am more than certain and I have made the right decision to go with the X1.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
HBWT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1X 2.8

WTH???, I think you just threadjacked your own thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Can_Car
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 xDrive28 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWT View Post
WTH???, I think you just threadjacked your own thread.

2015 X1 Valencia Orange, M Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Lol...still....I had to wait a whole week for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Okay another update, 10 days after getting my tire replaced, I woke up this morning to find out the exact same tire, brand-spanking new, has a big nail on it again. What kinda luck I have! I called the service, and the person who answered the phone today offered to have the car brought in right away, and did not ask the same questions. I guess my bad experience was with that staff member who happened to answer the phone that day, not the dealership after all. It could be that she was having a bad day and brought it upon me lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2014, 09:41 AM   #11
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyboy View Post
Okay here is my take on the 2014 328i..
Not always a good idea to gauge a particular model based on a loan car experience. Loners are usually (not always) some of the more base models. Go and test drive one that's outfitted closer to how you would consider buying it.

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
Not always a good idea to gauge a particular model based on a loan car experience. Loners are usually (not always) some of the more base models. Go and test drive one that's outfitted closer to how you would consider buying it.
Actually, the 328i I received was well optioned but with no Navi, even with high-gloss black grills, and only has a few thousand miles on it. I received a X1 28i Xdrive this time, with only 1800 miles...still got the new car smell. The car was a sport-line, with all the options minus the lighting and tech packages. So I got lucky that both loaner cars I recieved this month were nearly new and well optioned.
This X1 was the first 28i Xdrive I drove other than my own. It's steering feel was so much lighter than my own X1. It doesn't have that heavy steering feel most of us are familiar with. It felt more like a electrical power steering unit. I had to get out of the car to check if it wasn't a Sdrive...but it was a Xdrive and the same 2014 model year. The only difference was that mine is a X-line and this loaner car is a sport line, both with 18 inch rollers. They should be identical other than exterior and interior cosmetics. Why do they have a totally different steering feel is really getting me confused. I still have the loaner car with me and already put 700 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #13
Kennyboy
Private
United_States
Rep

I drove both the 328i Xdrive and the X1 28i to MA from NY, 500 miles round trip. The 328i averaged 28.7 mpg, while the X1 averaged at 19.9mpg...both using sport mode frequently and never activated eco pro or engine auto stop functions.
Appreciate 0