XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

01-15-2016, 08:06 PM   #1
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Just saw the 2016 BMW X1...what was BMW thinking

I currently have a 2013 BMW x1 and I love the style of it. I feel it looks like a wagon or maybe even similar style to the older X3's.

Today I came across a 2016 X1 and the first thing that I thought was that it looked a lot like a Nissan Juke with the angles of the body and roof. Needless to say this further reinforces why I will be keeping my rear wheel drive X1 and not trading in for a fwd X1.

Here are photos I pulled from the web just to show you what I'm talking about.

First the 2016 BMW X1. Notice the roof really rises up and then drops back at an angle. Also similar angles at where the back windshield connects with the car.

Now the Nissan Juke

Now the 2013 BMW X1

IMO the E84 X1 has a classic wagon look that will look good years from now while the newer X1 looks like they are trying to appeal to a different market of people that like the Nissan Juke/Kia Soul. The new X1 style just doesn't appear to be something that will be a classic years from now. Part of the styling must be related to the shorter wheel base using the mini cooper platform.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #2
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I don't get the hate for fwd vs rwd bias in an awd drive vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

I don't mind the new styling. That said, I'd rather keep the E84 styling while having the rear gate a little more vertical (lots of lost space because of the angle of the gate), and get the first foot of the F48 front end (headlights and the placement of the fog lights is better IMO).

But strictly E84 vs F48 - the previous generation wins hands down.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
Mtpisgah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 WRX & 2013 X1

While I like the 2013 X1 a lot more than the 2016, I honestly do not think the 2016 resembles the Juke at all. The rear window is different, the rear bumper, the hood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I don't get the hate for fwd vs rwd bias in an awd drive vehicle.
The standard version of the new X1 is FWD, the old one is RWD. The AWD version is a totally different thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #5
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
While I like the 2013 X1 a lot more than the 2016, I honestly do not think the 2016 resembles the Juke at all. The rear window is different, the rear bumper, the hood...
I agree, although I like the shorter nose on the 2016, the old one does look out of proportion with the rest of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtpisgah View Post
The standard version of the new X1 is FWD, the old one is RWD. The AWD version is a totally different thing.
I am only referring the the AWD bias, 60/40 or 50/50 or 40/60 power split, not sure even what the exact numbers are.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 12:47 AM   #6
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

The numbers are 60/40 vs 40/60. The big difference is more what it signifies - a moving away from "the ultimate driving machine" and towards a good ride. Most people likely won't notice but if you read enough reviews you notice a pattern and its not a positive one for driving dynamics.

I would have much rather BMW keep the X1 as a taller 3 series than a Mini with a BMW badge on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
flguy400
Rep
Drives: X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njerts View Post
I agree, although I like the shorter nose on the 2016, the old one does look out of proportion with the rest of the car.

I am only referring the the AWD bias, 60/40 or 50/50 or 40/60 power split, not sure even what the exact numbers are.
The thing about the longer nose of the older x1 is that it allows the engine to sit behind the wheels as opposed to on top of the wheels. This allows for much better driving dynamics when turning the vehicle.

While the older x1 had a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, the new X1 is an awful 56.4/43.6 weight distribution combined with front wheel drive and the engine being on top of the wheels there should be a good bit of understeer which I imagine the onboard computer has to manage through brake/power management. The result will be underpowered driving through turns and in the case of something darting out in front of you on the highway... well good luck.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #8
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy400 View Post
The thing about the longer nose of the older x1 is that it allows the engine to sit behind the wheels as opposed to on top of the wheels. This allows for much better driving dynamics when turning the vehicle.

While the older x1 had a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution, the new X1 is an awful 56.4/43.6 weight distribution combined with front wheel drive and the engine being on top of the wheels there should be a good bit of understeer which I imagine the onboard computer has to manage through brake/power management. The result will be underpowered driving through turns and in the case of something darting out in front of you on the highway... well good luck.
All good points I did not know.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #9
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

Okay, test hopped the new X1, and I have a '14 X1. What we were really after (and actually bought) was an X3; we wanted something bigger for travel.
I thought the new X1 drove more like the X3; mine is more 'tossable' and feels sporty; the new one feels more deliberate, more like its bigger brother the X3.
I'm more than happy to keep mine.
My wife is more than pleased with the X3; she took her girlfriends gambling, and likes the extra space and heated rear seats.
Moon
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
psysid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I also test drove the new F48 out of curiosity. TBH it drives softer, less sporty and I really could not find an aggressive feel gassing it. It leans more towards the X3 platform, actually it drives more like a lexus now with the electronic steering - soft. Im happy with my 2014 X1 sportline, its aggressive when you want it to be and cant beat the steering response, you feel in control!
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 05:37 AM   #11
themishmosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive35i

In the looks department, I think it trumps the E84 in almost every way. I saw one on the road the other day and it looked really good... no mistaking it for a Juke.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

The 2016 X1 is a more practical package and will sell better than the E84.

While our old E84s are sportier, it's a niche vehicle. Getting in and out of my M-Sport without dragging my pants on the sills is a chore. It's like wedging myself into a coupe, despite being an "SUV." For the masses, the F48 is a huge upgrade for the X1 platform.

The 2016 X1 M-Sport is on the build configurator now, and may address some of the "soft" qualms that many of you are having. I haven't seen one on the dealer lots yet, though. Probably going to be a rare bird.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 12:05 PM   #13
black-box
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 xD35 (1998 M3 RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
The 2016 X1 M-Sport is on the build configurator now, and may address some of the "soft" qualms that many of you are having. I haven't seen one on the dealer lots yet, though. Probably going to be a rare bird.
Is it a bad sign that they don't mention anything about stiffer springs or shocks? just sport auto transmission, aero kit, steering wheel, and sport seats.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
zero-2-sixty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnout8488 View Post
The 2016 X1 is a more practical package and will sell better than the E84.

While our old E84s are sportier, it's a niche vehicle. Getting in and out of my M-Sport without dragging my pants on the sills is a chore. It's like wedging myself into a coupe, despite being an "SUV." For the masses, the F48 is a huge upgrade for the X1 platform.

Agreed, the E84, especially in 35i form, is a rare and niche vehicle...and most definitely not the typical SUV. It was all performance oriented from its conception. Its appearance is controversial (wagon/hatchback) so the new one will appeal to the masses as it looks the part. The F48 was never conceived to be performance vehicle like the E84. I sat in it and it is fins for its intended purpose and audience. That said, resonably equipped its pricey, so better options exist. Enjoy the E84, it is the last of the some,.t big engine subcompact BMWs equipped with hydraulic steering and, rear bias AWD may see for some.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

It's funny but I think if the F48 was introduced by another brand (Mercedes?) It would have been loved by the market. But being a BMW and having that expectation of being a driver's vehicle it is just too controversial.

I'm sure it will do fine but I really hope it doesn't. People who want luxury and don't care about the driving experience can always go for a Mercedes or Lexus. But it seems with the new F48 there is now no vehicle to take the spot where the E84 was - a compact luxury sports sedan at a $40K price range.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #16
12 Handicap
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 S28 I

So much for the Home page on the BMW site that states a 50/50 weight distribution. The new styling does give a bigger appearance .Oh well ,guess I'll keep the 13 for a few more years.By then they will all be FWD.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #17
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

The previous X1 is just too damned thirsty for it's size. Look we needed a small 5 door vehicle with a badge to allow the wife to retain some respect at work (Lawyer, was driving a hyundai and rightfully looked odd amongst peers) so we settled on the X1 but truth be told, for similar running costs we can go a size up so we may as well do just that.

So the new X1 went up half a size and we prefer it, but there is still a market for a premium small 5 door vehicle but it needs to drop 40HP and be cheaper to run because otherwise i'll just go Q5 or XC60 and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #18
vstolpner
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
The previous X1 is just too damned thirsty for it's size. Look we needed a small 5 door vehicle with a badge to allow the wife to retain some respect at work (Lawyer, was driving a hyundai and rightfully looked odd amongst peers) so we settled on the X1 but truth be told, for similar running costs we can go a size up so we may as well do just that.

So the new X1 went up half a size and we prefer it, but there is still a market for a premium small 5 door vehicle but it needs to drop 40HP and be cheaper to run because otherwise i'll just go Q5 or XC60 and be done with it.
Yeah and my thought is kind of opposite. The size is fine but it needs more attention to driving details. To be perfectly honest they could have made it a driver's car by simply tuning the steering, suspension and power appropriately and keep everything else as it is.
I'm not sure many people are complaining about the exterior or interior (heck I prefer it for the most part), but the car just doesn't drive like a BMW should.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
BeemerX1
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think the new one is better looking then the old one.
But I think the M package is a must now for looks.
(On mine I just had the ugly plastic painted, no need with a M pack).

I always prefer a xdrive and a 3.5i was never build here (so it wasn't a option for me and I would not miss it.

So I compare xdrive23d AT against xdrive 25d AT for driving.
I think the X1 xdrive30e will be a success 2.

To bad is it over my leasing budget. If I could order a nice looking Beemer I will sell my private X1.

Lovers of RWD and/or 3.0 engine are srewed, they need to pay more for a bigger model. I feel with you, don't get me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #20
newclass
Rep
Drives: x1 x35i msport, e46 sedan

I will keep my xdrive 35i msport until it dies. I know when I have something good that will not be made again. Yes, that's rear biased and hydraulic steering, and good handling.
Appreciate 1
      01-31-2016, 11:02 AM   #21
fiehlsport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X1 xDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-2-sixty View Post
Agreed, the E84, especially in 35i form, is a rare and niche vehicle...and most definitely not the typical SUV. It was all performance oriented from its conception. Its appearance is controversial (wagon/hatchback) so the new one will appeal to the masses as it looks the part. The F48 was never conceived to be performance vehicle like the E84. I sat in it and it is fins for its intended purpose and audience. That said, resonably equipped its pricey, so better options exist. Enjoy the E84, it is the last of the some,.t big engine subcompact BMWs equipped with hydraulic steering and, rear bias AWD may see for some.
Agreed. I sat in an F48 for the first time yesterday and it felt more like a Rav4 driving position than a BMW. But, that's what buyers want. As soon as they get an M-Sport F48 I'll try again, but I don't think the seat comfort will solve all of the "softness" issues the new platform introduces. The E84 is just a more raw package.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2016, 12:45 PM   #22
Fusionsport25
Rep
Drives: Audi Q5

I was actually looking for a wagon. One of the few that likes them I guess. And have now settled in on the older X1. Because it does have that wagon feel, and yet one can get a loaded CPO much much cheaper than the 3 series wagon. On top of that...it's nearly impossible to find a 3 series cpo wagon.
Appreciate 0