XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

01-08-2016, 03:46 AM   #1
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25d M-Sport 2012

Engine fault, reduced power...

I got one time error message on driving highway last weekend "Engine fault, reduced power..."
Today we put a tester into car and it told that this error came from turbo and it seems that there was some error with pressure. Asked pressure was a little bit over 1,5 hpa and given pressure was 2,05hpa.

I assume that this could be a sensor problem, because we have a winter in Finland and now is extremely cold (over -25 degrees).

Any ideas?

Car is E84 9/2012 and xDrive25d and it has 49 000 km on the odometer.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
vstolpner
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 F39 X2 m35i

Could be frozen wastegate? Turbo's control provided pressure through letting excess pressure off with a waste gate so if it's frozen that should be it. You should be able to see the wastegate without having to take anything off, just maybe need a small mirror - it's located right on the turbo as far as I know.

Just a thought, I'm not a mechanic or an expert by any means.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #3
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep

Thank you vstolpner. I added a winter cover to lower grill last weekend and will follow if it gives me this error again. I have driven over 1000km after error without new one.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #4
psysid
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Just a thought, I had the same issue just a few weeks back. Took the car to the dealer and at first they thought it was the sensor malfunctioning and did a reset along with adjusting the levels for the intake so that the sensor would not go back. I drove out the lot, stepped on the gas to get the turbo roaring and wham..once again I get the error. Took the car back to the dealer and this time got the service manager involved and the diagnosis was, there was a leak in the pipe which resulted in when the flood gates opened it caused low pressure and in return giving my sensor the signal of power loss and hence the error message.

Hope this helps! In either case have your dealer check your vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 05:27 AM   #5
kokkopa1
Finland
Rep

HI. Thanks for your comments.

I think that this error has something to do with DPF regeneration process because on every time the regeneration is not ready when I turn of the car, I get this error very next day, usually on highway.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #6
IslandTimes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

I received this error once about a year ago. I had "eco mode" turned on, had just stopped at a gas station, and had floored the car on a service road with the anticipation of merging onto the interstate highway. I pulled over and shut the car off. When I restarted message was gone.

I no longer use the eco mode and have yet to run into the problem again.
Appreciate 0