XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-13-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Help. No acceleration after an oil change X1 xDrive28i.

Two weeks ago, on the way out of the parking lot at the BMW service center after an annual oil change, I completely lost acceleration. The X1 just slowed down to a stop. Applying pressure to the gas pedal had no effect on acceleration or rpm. The engine was still running, and there were no error messages or warning lights. After the X1 came to a stop, I turned off the engine, and started it up again and everything was back to normal. I drove it around the neighborhood before driving 45 miles home without any issues.

Today, 2 weeks later, it happened again in the middle of the road. I was going less than 35 mph when it happened both times. Again, no warning lights or messages. I turned on the hazard, stopped and started the car again and drove home without any further issues. Does anyone have any idea what is wrong with my car?

A little background on the car. I bought it at the same dealership in 2013. It was running perfectly year 1. After the first oil change a year after taking delivery of the car at the same dealership, it started getting this rattling sound everytime I unlocked the car, and turned off the engine when I get home from work (short drive, less than 2 miles away). That went on for 2 years until I took it in for this oil change (I drive less than 2,000 miles a year). When I got there (some 45 miles away), I couldn't replicate the sound. It happened 100% of the time everyday for the last 2 years, when I go to work and come back from work. But it didn't after the long drive to my only BMW service center where I live. The SA said there was nothing he could do for me since there were no error messages and he couldn't replicate the sound. He then said that it could have something to do with the timing of the engine system, and he knows that my car's 4-year warranty is ending in the next 2 weeks. I told him I never had a loss of power the past 4 years with this car, just that rattling sound after I locked, unlocked the car. He then went and did the oil change.

On the way out of the parking lot, I suddenly experienced the complete loss of acceleration, but the engine was still running and all the electronics and power were still on. Restarting the car got it to accelerate again, and I drove home. And now it happened again. At first I thought maybe they changed my gas filter, and there were bubbles in it preventing gas to go into the engine when I press down on the pedal. But I'm not sure now since the engine was still running, so that means gas was still getting to the engine. I just couldn't accelerate. Needless to say, I don't trust my service center enough to bring the car back in since both problems occured right after an oil change both times. I think they did something to my car. I'm hoping it's just a programming problem since restarting the car solved the acceleration issue right away.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by investor27; 08-13-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #2
2K14E84
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 XDrive28i

Sounds to me like it could be something triggering a "limp mode" for safety. I would first guess a boost issue, the stupid computer controlled wastegates on these newer cars fail a lot. They are a common issue on the MINI's, BMW, Audi and VW. Sounds to me like you should go to a different stealership, why wouldn't they keep it over night and try to drive it cold the next day? Someone needs to run a data log on it and see what the engine is doing and at what point this failure takes place.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 12:18 AM   #3
investor27
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

My previous 2009 535xi went into limp mode due to the HPFP problem, but it also gave me a warning message on the dashboard. I didn't see anything on my dashboard both time when I lost acceleration on the X1.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
d1saster
Captain
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F15 N55 & E93 N51

There should be a shadow code stored in the car. You don't have to replicate the issue to the shop. Assuming you still have a warranty just make an appointment stating the problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 M135i

You went two years between oil changes? Understand you drive <2k miles/year, but thought the car would show the maintenance required indication after a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #6
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Here in Canada, iDrive shows 19k km or 2 year (2018), whatever comes first. The kms are based on my driving habits, but AFAIK the 2 year is standard. I would still do it every year, no matter what my mileage is, specially since I own the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerospike View Post
You went two years between oil changes? Understand you drive <2k miles/year, but thought the car would show the maintenance required indication after a year.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #7
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

Learned something new. If I were living in Canada, I would be driving a 135 hatchback instead of the X1. I suppose X-Drive is nice in the snow (we get about 1 inch a year down here).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #8
kiloTHREE
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 xDrive28i

Quote:
Learned something new. If I were living in Canada, I would be driving a 135 hatchback instead of the X1.
x2

Quote:
I suppose X-Drive is nice in the snow (we get about 1 inch a year down here).
But RWD is fun > nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
4llr
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2012

Actually, it looks like it's like that in the US:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870754
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=241594
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=489435
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=623285

Under the 4 year warranty, an oil change is done every year, but take a look at your iDrive, and I'm pretty sure it will be 2 year future from your last oil change.

Xdrive is a must here. 1 inch of snow in Quebec is a normal afternoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloTHREE View Post
x2
But RWD is fun > nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
Aerospike
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4llr View Post
Actually, it looks like it's like that in the US:

Under the 4 year warranty, an oil change is done every year, but take a look at your iDrive, and I'm pretty sure it will be 2 year future from your last oil change.
Mine said one year. I only put 1,000 miles on the car last year and I had to go in at the 1 year mark. However, I don't remember the oil indicator going red instead of green.
Appreciate 0