Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

06-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
mrm83
Private
Rep
Drives: x1

alarm!

anyone regret not getting the alarm option?

it is so hard to find the car because i can't sound the car! and i dont even get the lock/unlocking sound..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm83 View Post
anyone regret not getting the alarm option?

it is so hard to find the car because i can't sound the car! and i dont even get the lock/unlocking sound..
Oh man, how awful it must be. The anxiety of being unable to find your X1 on the Loeblaw's parking lot... Unbearable, not sure I could take so much pressure and stress. Especially in a sea of BMW X1s, as any self-respecting Loeblaw's parking lot should be like ...

Tough predicament indeed !

Oh, by the way, just in case you haven't noticed, the big letters or numbers posted here and there or painted on the ground of your favorite parking lot do refer to the aisle number and possibly, even the parking slot itself.
So goes the general idea: your park your X1, you look up the aisle number (better, the space number !) and when you come back to the same aisle or slot (careful not to go to another parking aisle or it will alter the concept), your X1 is..... where you left it !!! Voilą !!!

Isn't it absolutely incredible ?
Canada is a great country bro.
      06-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Nedlands
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 CF Comp, 2010 23 X1

Alarm

That was a bit rough.
People actually like, and get used to having certain features. I just got reverse sensors on the back of a MINI, because the old 3 had them; and MINI's have the best rear visibility going around.

I didn't get the alarm on my X1. As we were going through the options with the dealer he laughed and skipped over this option quickly saying that a BMW hasn't been stolen in years.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Gatekeeper
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedlands View Post
That was a bit rough.
People actually like, and get used to having certain features. I just got reverse sensors on the back of a MINI, because the old 3 had them; and MINI's have the best rear visibility going around.
It was, was it? Couldn't help...

Parking sensors are a safety device.. I couldn't do without them either (especially since they allowed me not to back up into a todler who was playing by my rear bumper). But wanting a car alarm to be able to find your car in a parking lot... Dunno, sounds a bit funny...
      06-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
mrm83
Private
Rep

its not. not all lots here have isle numbers man. and the lots are so big, after a few hours you will NOT remember exactly where you parked.

and i am used to spamming my siren when i look for my old car.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #6
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

I don't know of any lots that have numbered spaces. A few underground ones have floors and sections, but tha is about it. Have you read you manual? Although you don't have an alarm, can't you specify whether there is an audible sound for locking and unlocking?
      06-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #7
mrm83
Private
Rep

it says you can set it in manual, but when i actually tried to set it, the options werent there. so i assumed its only for cars with the alarm option.. =\
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Exotic Hadron
X Eins in der Luft
Rep
Drives: X1

I think they aren't that useful, these alarms... What they do is annoy you and anybody around and discharge car's battery. In my opinion that's more a plus than a minus that they don't install alarms by default.

What they could do actually is create a good key that would show some feedback. With the one I have it's almost impossible to make sure that your car is locked. It's been for several times that I noticed my car was unlocked because I inadvertently pressed the unlock key. I always have to check the door handles prior to leaving the car when I could just look at the display. I know that it's pretty easy to spoof the feedback but we are not talking about hooks here.
Appreciate 0