Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #1
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 MSport & 2018 X3 30i

Considering a X1 for the wife..

Hi Everyone,
My wife currently drives a 2005 X3. It's fine but has started to have some issues. We are considering the X1 but am worried about the "smaller" engine (it's still quicker than my 210bhp on the X3).

Can you (especially Canadian's..) pls provide some feedback? I am concerned about rumors like cheap int parts, slow, uncomfortable etc..

thx!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #2
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Well, the interior is what it is. The front seat is fine -- it's the rear that they went a little cheap on. It is neither slow nor uncomfortable.
Go see a dealer. She'd probably like the X1 just fine.
      08-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #3
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUH CAR View Post
Well, the interior is what it is. The front seat is fine -- it's the rear that they went a little cheap on. It is neither slow nor uncomfortable.
Go see a dealer. She'd probably like the X1 just fine.
thx, we are doing that this Sat.

Can anyone recommend someone at Budd's in Oakville?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Budds family of dealers have fallen behind other dealers as of late (from what I've read) You may want to include the Quinn group in your shopping contacts as well (i.e. waterloo, toronto, parkview) just to have a comparison on who can take care of your business better.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 03:08 AM   #5
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Definitely go for sports seats (in any BMW really). The level of support,comfort and adjustability is great. (would be even better if you optioned electric memory positioning for each driver - saved in the keys' memory) I have found sports suspension to be very comfortable and not harsh at all. X1's more car than SUV unlike the X3. New X3 can have variable suspension which would be nice. My MSport X1 feels great - low centre of gravity (can be very high to with seat raised), the sports seats, great feel to the sports wheel, nice short leather manual gearshift so everything you have contact with in the car has a great feel to it. I've spent a three hour stint in the back and legroom's good, but not as comfy as the fronts. Kids haven't complained back there at all.
Power from 2.0Diesel is fine, not mindblowing at all, but then I don't go much over 100kph with police and speedcameras so common nowdays.
Interior plastics are good, mine has aluminium trim which is all good. Not too much plasticy bling suits me fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
Budds family of dealers have fallen behind other dealers as of late (from what I've read) You may want to include the Quinn group in your shopping contacts as well (i.e. waterloo, toronto, parkview) just to have a comparison on who can take care of your business better.
I had a unpleasent experiance @ Budds when I purchased my 135. I ended up getting it from Endras BMW b/c of the how nice I was treated and the deal they gave me. I actually like BMW of Toronto..I might go down there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusX1 View Post
Definitely go for sports seats (in any BMW really). The level of support,comfort and adjustability is great. (would be even better if you optioned electric memory positioning for each driver - saved in the keys' memory) I have found sports suspension to be very comfortable and not harsh at all. X1's more car than SUV unlike the X3. New X3 can have variable suspension which would be nice. My MSport X1 feels great - low centre of gravity (can be very high to with seat raised), the sports seats, great feel to the sports wheel, nice short leather manual gearshift so everything you have contact with in the car has a great feel to it. I've spent a three hour stint in the back and legroom's good, but not as comfy as the fronts. Kids haven't complained back there at all.
Power from 2.0Diesel is fine, not mindblowing at all, but then I don't go much over 100kph with police and speedcameras so common nowdays.
Interior plastics are good, mine has aluminium trim which is all good. Not too much plasticy bling suits me fine.
Yeah, not worried too much about the "speed"..I havent driven a 4 cyl in years..curious to see what a 4cyl turbo will feel like..

thx for the feedback about guys!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #7
greenfunk
Rep
Drives: X1

I had my reservations at first before i got my x1, mainly about size also.
Like will the back seat be comfortable for 3 rather large passengers and will the boot be able to accomodate 4 golf bags. but, truth be told half the time our cars are only carrying ourselves and if you do have to pick up more people it's wouldnt be a regular occurence.

I personally find the quality of the cabin pretty good, I don't find the plastics cheap, other than the gear lever and the storage under the arm rest is pathetic. If you compare the X1 with the vw Tiguan, the x1's interior is whole lot better.

If you option it out i think it would be fantastic car!
you have to get the sunroof, sat-nav, memory seats, auto headlights, bi-xenons, auto wipers, front and rear pdc(love it) and the x-line pack makes it look more sporty.

& don't get the 18i. I feel it's a little underpowered for such a heavy body.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #8
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Thx GreenFunk
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 550i GT, 2012 X1 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremePower3335 View Post
thx, we are doing that this Sat.

Can anyone recommend someone at Budd's in Oakville?
I would definitely recommend staying far away from Budds. I live west of Toronto, and so Budds is much closer, but I won't buy or repair my vehicles there. Nothing but bad past experiences (I did try to service my vehicles there several times and always came away disappointed). I would highly recommend the Quinn Group - I have purchased 5 vehicles (4 BMWs and a Cooper S) from Steve Quinn and his team at Parkview and have not had a bad experience. I also drive the extra distance there to get my vehicles serviced - they actually do care about the customer there. So do yourself a favor (even if it means driving further) and stay away from Budds.

By the way, my wife loves her new X1 - she finds it quick (which is saying something since she previously had the Cooper S, which is a little rocket), spacious (cargo-wise), easy to park, and very good on gas. I have a 550i GT and I still enjoy driving the X1 every chance I get. But I agree with Duh Car - they did skimp a bit on the back seat. Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #10
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

+1 for Parkview.
      08-25-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

thx Phil and DUH..Ive been actually trying to figure out where to go b/c I don't like Budds either and I live literally 5 mins from them.

Can anyone recommend someone at BMW Toronto?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thx Phil and DUH..Ive been actually trying to figure out where to go b/c I don't like Budds either and I live literally 5 mins from them.

Can anyone recommend someone at BMW Toronto?
Sure - speak with Katie Quinn (Steve Quinn's niece). She's the General Manager there and is great! She may not actually sell you the X1, but she will set you up with the right person at the dealership. You can reach Katie at 416.623.4269. Hope it works out for you. You'll love the X1!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Phil777
Phil
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't like Budds either and I live literally 5 mins from them.
Me too! I'd rather drive the extra distance and buy from a dealership that cares!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
SupremePower3335
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Everyone..just thought I would post a update...

X3 - we drove the 3.5 litre Twin Turbo MSport. The wife thought it was too big, kinda like the old X5 which she thought was too big as well. It was a nice car and it was FAST..I would have picked that but she didnt like it.

X1 - I thought it was nice too - it was quick for a 4 cyl urbo - this is a our second choice..While it was nice as all you said we wanted something more sporty yet good for snow.

335Xdrive Msport..we drove this and really liked it and the way it looked. We decided that we do not need a SUV - no kids so whats the need, however it's 4 wheel drive...So I am going to trade in my 1 and get this instead. The preliminary numbers seem acceptable on my 135 even though I am upside down.

I plan on selling my X3 so that we only have one car payment. So we are going to have one nice car...I'll get a Train car for a while and get a winter beater. That is a whole other issue b/c I have no clue what to get..Mini is on the list and so is a AUDI All Road - any other suggestions for a $5k Cdn budget??

Then perhaps in a year get a REAL sports..can you say PORSCHE, M3 or AMG

Thx for all your helpful opinions every!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Ann
Rep
Drives: currently not BMW

Quote:
I had a unpleasent experiance @ Budds when I purchased my 135. I ended up getting it from Endras BMW b/c of the how nice I was treated and the deal they gave me. I actually like BMW of Toronto..I might go down there..

Yeah, not worried too much about the "speed"..I havent driven a 4 cyl in years..curious to see what a 4cyl turbo will feel like..

thx for the feedback about guys!
I have tested the X1 and although speed is never a priority for me the X1 moved very well. No problem with acceleration or control in getting to high speeds. I am getting my X1 in a couple of days - have been driving a Civic Hybrid for 4 years which (don't laugh) has been great but need some towing capacity - prior to that I have driven a number of different cars and SUVs with loads of speed and I think I will have more than necessary on the road with the X1
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

Towing Capacity? But BMW in Canada is not rating the vehicle beyond 1500lbs.

I went though this issue with my dealer prior to buying the car.

The website showed the tow kit and said it was good for up to 2200kg (which the UK diesels are). But anything else I saw for the canadian one showed 1500lbs. Also some aspects of the X1 portion of the site were in German clearly showing much info was lifted from the international or german site.

Anyhow they called into head office, etc.etc.. and said they're not going to offer a tow package in Canada. I still went ahead with the buy expecting the US to get the car later this year, but now it's been delayed at least another year and therefore there's still not enough volume to justify a tow package.

Anyhow in regards to towing.. the UK doesn't have our motor. But our X3 (rated for 1500kgs) does have the same 8spd transmission and usually it's the tranny that's the first issue when it comes to towing.

As for trying to find towing capacities for the smaller petrol engines in the UK, I can't. Most language about the Euro X1 says towing "Up to (depending on model)"

Oh wait.. I did just find this;

"Both launch models will have a 2000kg braked towing capacity (750kg unbraked), while the rear-drive sDrive20d’s braked capacity reduces to 1800kg. Tare weights range from 1455kg for the sDrive20d, to 1540kg for the xDrive20d and 1560kg for the xDrive23d. "

Anyhow because the rating is so low in Canada, I'm a bit concerend about heavy towing and ending up with a warrantly claim problem.

Anyhow more on topic.. the 335x is probably a great single car for a couple with no kids.
Appreciate 0