XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

08-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #1
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1

Got it!!!! First Impressions

Picked up my X1 yesterday afternoon! First off, PROPS to my salesman Ryan (Sewickley BMW, Pittsburgh)!! For a new to U.S. vehicle, he knew everything about it and spent about 45 mintues with me going over the features. He was great to deal with, so please see him if in the Pittsburgh area looking for a BMW.

Recap on my order: Placed order on 7/9, delivered on 8/15. X1 xDrive 28i, Midnight Blue/Coral Red, Sport Line, Cold Weather Pkg, Ultimate Pkg (Premium, Driver's Assist, Technology), Satellite Radio.

Pulling up to the dealership I was looking in the lot for my X1 but didn't see it. Then walking into the showroom, there it was, front and center (doors locked so nobody could sit in it and play around, which I appreciated). Immediately caught my eye.

Exterior:

I was surprised at how much larger it was than I anticipated. I saw one in St. Martin in May, and another in Toronto in June, but just in passing. After reading so many posts on how 'tiny' they are, no bigger than a Golf, tall hatchback, stationwagon, etc., I did not get that impression at all.

It has a powerful yet sporty presence and I think with the satin black lower rocker, black chrome exhaust tips, and black roof rails (Sport Line features), gives it a perception of being higher than it is.

The 18" wheels on the Sport Line are great looking and almost have a smokey tint to them, again working well with the satin black accents. I was a bit concerned after I ordered with my color combo choice as the BMW build site makes the Midnight Blue look almost Teal, but in person it is a deep unique blue that plays with the sunlight.

The v-shaped crease lines on the hood moving from grill to windshield are a striking design feature.

Interior:

The Coral Red interior is amazing! The Sport Line has red stitching on the stearing wheel, shifter, and floor mats, so that works great with the seats/door panels in red. I opted for the shiny black interior trim in place of aluminum, again keeping with the outside trim pieces, which ties it all together.

I HIGHLY recommend the navigation/technology package as it takes the little storage cubby in the dash and replaces it with the nav screen and also the controler in the center console. Makes the interior very upscale looking. Have not yet mastered it, but a few more days playing around should be all I need. Keyless Comfort Access is a great feature. Shifter is more of a joy stick than an actual movable piece as I was used to. More of a tap down, up, function and pretty neat.

Panoramic moonroof really brightens up the cabin and love the power shade. I'm 6' and head and leg room were ample.
The power Sport seats are probably the best I've ever sat in and can be adjusted to hug your body from every angle.
Center console storage is small but plenty of room for what I'll use it for. The second cup holder, which stores in the console and attaches to the passenger side to the right of the shift lever, did not impose on leg room as some have mentioned. My passenger is 6'3" and never once bumped into it with his legs. I'll always store it in the console when not in use though.
Have not yet sat in the rear seats but leg room was more than my Audi A4. The 40/20/40 split seats either fold independently or ajust to absolute verticle for great trunk storage.

The trunk itself was not as large as my A4, but would definitely hold larger items with all the configurations and hatch. The storage under the rear floor is, as others have said, pretty much useless. But then I thought, perfect for an umbrella, snow scraper, blanket, first aid kit, etc., keeping them out of the rear storage main area. Visability was great from all angles and the rear camera and parking sensors are cool. My only suggestion would be for the tinted privacy glass on the reaward windows. I may have this added.

Driving:

Please take note that I've only put on 40 miles, but I'll give what I can on early driving impressions. W O W! Past 10 years I've been driving cars in the 200 - 211 hp range. The 240hp in the X1 is a noticed increase. Power is immediate and strong. The ride exceedes my A4 and C230 Mercedes. I have not felt vibrations or a bumpy ride so far.

The cabin is quiet when roof/windows are closed. What will take getting used to is the engine stop/start function when the vehicle comes to a halt. Returning from the dealer, it was traffic time, so that was happening a lot and at first was a strange feeling. It does not 'jerk' when starting back up but is something you do notice. I believe there is a button somewhere where you can turn this function off.

Pulling into the parking lot this morning for work and stopping to pay the attendant, the engine shut off, then after paying started up again. I could see the attendant look strangly probably thinking "why in the hell did he shut his car off to pay me"!!

I'm sure I'll get it out on the road this weekend for more spirited driving and will give another upate.
Well folks, that's my X1. Hope this very early, and very long, first impressions helps. Will be happy to answer any specific questions and will post pictures once I find 5 minutes.

Last edited by Jim2013X1; 08-16-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Blue Bottle
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 x Drive 2.0L D

Congratulations Jim, glad you like it. Play with in the corners, you will find she holds the road just great. Hope to see pictures over the weekend
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Great post. I think you captured why we all love them!

Interesting abou the stop/start feature -- we don't have in here in Canada on the 2012 models. Sounds annoying in city traffic.
      08-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
mabrahams
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 M-Sport 28i

Jim,

Congrats. That was a very fast production; mine is starting production on the 24th of August. I'm hoping I am able to do a PCD in Sept (don't know if I am pushing it though)

In regards to the on/off switch for the stop/start function. Isn't just above the keyfob (the X1 uses the old key fob or the new one?) The new one you don't have to put the key in to start, the old one you do.

I had a new F30 loaner the other day; and the start/stop wouldn't always come on. I don't know if there is a delay (depending on how often you stop?) I also noticed it's better to have the foot on the brake and then tap the accelerator pedal to trick the system into starting. When you have your foot on the brake and release it, it starts then engine and then moves forward.

Photos please!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #5
MSportX1
Private
Rep
Drives: X1

Jim, congratulations! We have the similar taste. I like the Sport Line as well, but probably will choose Glacier Silver color. I am a little worried about two things and want to hear your comments: (1) Are the seat comfortable for both city and long highway drive and suspension not too harsh? One post said the whole family got car sick after a long drive. This will be my first BMW. I want the sports drive feeling, but do not want too harsh drive. (2) I am 90% certain I want Coral Red trim. But, from the photos (Autoblog Review), the Coral Red looks too bright. How does your Coral Red look in person? How do you compare it with the Black trim? The Sport Line has these two interior color options only. Thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

I have the key that you do NOT have to put in the ignition, just have it on your person somewhere (keep in my laptop bag). But, not sure if that is only because of the Comfort Access option as part of the Prem. Pkg.
The ride does not seem too harsh or tight, but again, less than 40 miles driven. If any vehicle vibrated enough to make someone sick, I'd think there had to be other issues with the car other than suspension?
The Coral Red is brighter than on the BMW build site but I think it would go with any body color other than the Orange. As I said, i was nervous after selecting that but so glad I did. I wont see myself coming and going once these things start selling.

Last edited by Jim2013X1; 08-16-2012 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

There is a thread in the F30 section about having the dealer reprogram the ASS to go into last user mode if you tire of turning it off. Congrats on your new X1, I'm waiting on my call since it was supposed to hit the distribution center in GA yesterday. Every once in a while you do need to put the key in to recharge, it has a rechargeable battery.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
There is a thread in the F30 section about having the dealer reprogram the ASS to go into last user mode if you tire of turning it off. Congrats on your new X1, I'm waiting on my call since it was supposed to hit the distribution center in GA yesterday. Every once in a while you do need to put the key in to recharge, it has a rechargeable battery.
Yes, I heard that this will be the solution. Instead of having to turn it off each time, programming will make this be remembered from the last use.

Also, engine will start up if the AC drains the battery to a certain level when you are stopped. It'll seem that the car is haunted!
      08-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Well, I guess the purpose of the stop/start is to save on fuel, so I'll let it do it's paid-for job for a while - unless it gets too annoying. There is also a nice feature that you can set to keep the car at your set temperature inside if you are running into a store or somewhere for a quick stop. Would be great in extreme heat or cold. My sales guy did tell me about charging the key every week or so by putting it in the ignition. Just takes a $4.00 watch battery though. Can't wait to get out of work and back in it!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

I have to say, I'm jealous! Congratulations!

What was your reason for choosing sport line versus the other lines? Would you say it is worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
BEAMERBOI
Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: x1 35i M version 2013

We need pics!
      08-16-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Jim2013X1
Private
Rep

Sounds weird, but I've always wanted a car with red leather since I was in grade school and saw a white Corvette with red interior. Back then it was probably vinyl !!
The only way to get the Coral Red was with the Sport Pkg. Secondary reasons were: I wasn't wild about the 'Y' spoke wheels on the other models and liked the black grill slats better than the brushed silver.
Extemely happy with my decision. Will try and take pics this evening and post tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
bbg2d
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Sport Line

Yeah, I'm stuck on the performance control feature of M-sport...
Appreciate 0