XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #23
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

I agree with Canadian Driver. Personally, I would skip out on the M package. Go with the sports package and configure the hell out of it. You won't be much off $50K, I think, with a dealer discount.

$60K is hard to justify, IMHO, for the X1. For that amount a used M3 is a fantastic option (very practical in my experience). But, it is not frugal on gas at all. My X1 is arriving in about 4 weeks and I will chime in with more thoughts/details. I was attracted to the engine for the fuel economy (guilt from my e92 M3...lol). The sounds don't bother me since I am used to the diesel X5 and I usually have the satellite radio going. I think it all boils down to what you value most and what compromises you can live with. I think the X1 is a good way to go.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #24
AusX1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Sport

Don't know what you guys in Canada get in your packages, but the MSport pack here includes sports seats, the areo panel kit, M steering wheel and shift lever, sports suspension which I think are must have's (for me, not everyone of course). I wouldn't have paid extra for, but do really like the anthracite headliner and MSport sills on the front doors. Colours are a bit limited though.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 04:26 AM   #25
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Nothing wrong with the SE version, after all it is what I brought before the Msport was available! I am much happier with the look of the Msport though. I did originaly specify my car with sports seats, sports suspension, anthracite headliner, a sports sterring wheel with shift levers and de badged knowing that I would carry out the aero kit modification when it became available. I would also have gone for LeMans blue as the colour really suits the car (see Bora's post).

Here's a thought - how will you feel if you park an SE alongside the new Audi Q3 Sline, Range Rover Evogue, the proposed Porsche Cajun? The X1 is a great car in almost all respects, and currently ahead of its competition re performance/technology, but consider what will be on the market in less than two years time. The gap is narrowing fast.

If you purchase an SE and then decide you should have gone Msport you can always retro fit the Aero kit if you have the sports suspension, seats etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 05:01 AM   #26
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I had an sDrive 20d M-Sport while my SE was in for a service, it was black with the alcantara interior.

I have to say that looks wise I much prefer my SE with the X-Line package over the black M-Sport, as did the few people who saw it.
The interior I liked alot on the M-Sport, I love the cloth and alcantara and think the sport seats in the 1, 2 and x1 series are superb too, had them in my 4 previous cars now.
However, I would choose leather, only cause we have a dog and a 3 year old son, and the alcantara that I had in my E91 m-sport was hard to sell on, every buyers first question was 'Has it not got leather?'

Ride. This is the main reason I always choose M-Sport.
I hated the ride in the X1 M-Sport, and I mean hated it.
Compared with the X1 SE I have it was crashy, it didn't grip in the corners as well unless it was a pool table flat road and it felt more like my early 535d sport touring from 2005 in the way the back end skipped about when pressing on.
But, and this is a big but, it was on 18" wheels and probably had run flats on it, where as my car is on 17s and has proper tyres, so it was probably the tyres that were the issue not the suspesnion.
I know on the 3 series the M-Sport is actually more comfy than the SE when bot are on the same wheels and tyres, the SE uses a cheap Boge/Sachs set up where as the M-Sport uses a really high end Bilstein strut and Eibach spring.

So if I had to buy again I would go SE??
Depends on the colour I fancied, I think the M-Sport in silver, white, space grey and the lighter colours looks superb, but in the darker colours like black, graphite and deep sea blue I think the SE with X-Line pack looks best.

One thing I would say is I could get an SE in black with the X-Line package with leather sport seats and Media Professional for the same price as an M-Sport, and if ordering again that is definitely what I would do.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #27
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i (E89)

Well, I just threw a monkey wrench in my own works.....

Consider the 2012 3er options, now that they are not only announced, but some of them appear to be on BMW Canada's configurator.

Here are a couple of things that are driving me nuts in making a decision -- I don't have cargo needs - just a bit more comfort in the seating position to ease my hips.

2012 3er pamphlet

Now there's a few interesting things there for a 3-driver: better cupholders (how important is that!?), a redesigned dashboard (love it or hate it), the eyebrows (undecided) and a choice of 'series': sport, modern or lux. For the 'real' stuff: a new power plant, eco modes to reduce fuel consumption etc. There's a lot to think about....

There is 'some' pricing on BMW Canada's configurator, but only for certain 2012 models (eg the 335i x-drive Coupe is there but not the Sedan).

And there's a gallery of pix here.

The X1 is an attractive (and lower-priced) option -- I just can't determine if it's as much fun to drive!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #28
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post

The X1 is an attractive (and lower-priced) option -- I just can't determine if it's as much fun to drive!!
I had the RWD 335i and find the X1 is 95% of the fun factor, but also 10x more comfy than the 3er.

I would guess the gap on comfort between the F30 3er and X1 will close, but don't expect it to be as comfy, however I don't think the new F30 will be as fun as the old car.

Why?

Because the E90 was not as focused as the e46, and that in turn was not as good as an E30 for fun, never owned an E36.

The E60 was not as driver focused as the E39, and the F10 is the most boring BMW I have ever driven, we had one here for 10 weeks and then we sold it as no one wanted it after they had driven it for more than a week.
I am praying that the F30 will be more driver focused and not going in the same direction as the 5er, but I think it is getting more and more grown up, and listening to BMW talking about luxury and comfort leads me to think that they are definitely going in that direction.
To be fair if they just ditched the run flats they would have the comfort back without having to sacrifice handling.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #29
DUH CAR
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Consider the 2012 3er options, now that they are not only announced, but some of them appear to be on BMW Canada's configurator.
Wow oh wow. What a big disappointment the 2012 is. Coloured key fobs.
A changeup in the headlight cluster. Really BMW? And the three styles mimic MB and Audi.

BTW -The 328 has the same engine as the X1.
      10-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #30
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I had the RWD 335i and find the X1 is 95% of the fun factor, but also 10x more comfy than the 3er.

I would guess the gap on comfort between the F30 3er and X1 will close, but don't expect it to be as comfy, however I don't think the new F30 will be as fun as the old car.

Why?

Because the E90 was not as focused as the e46, and that in turn was not as good as an E30 for fun, never owned an E36.

The E60 was not as driver focused as the E39, and the F10 is the most boring BMW I have ever driven, we had one here for 10 weeks and then we sold it as no one wanted it after they had driven it for more than a week.
I am praying that the F30 will be more driver focused and not going in the same direction as the 5er, but I think it is getting more and more grown up, and listening to BMW talking about luxury and comfort leads me to think that they are definitely going in that direction.
To be fair if they just ditched the run flats they would have the comfort back without having to sacrifice handling.
You are dead on with the F10 being a boring car. It is too big of a car and there is no feedback from the road at all. Feels like a "zombie". Everything is way too assisted. I guess that's what they call luxury.

I have no doubt that the F30 is going to be that way as well. More luxury and less driving pleasure. I would think it is going to be similar to the latest Merc C class sort of handling.

Even underpowered, I still love my wife's x1
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #31
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Finally - a decent test drive (longish)

Well, I seem to have found a few answers - at least for me. I finally had a few spare hours yesterday, shanghaied an X1 at a local dealer and went for a drive for an hour or so. (I'd still like to do it again, for much longer.) I don't know what trim level the vehicle was, but it was clearly not 'loaded'.

In/out ease: Way better than the 335i; I think the seat is probably 4" higher or so. Getting out is clearly a step level > down rather than the 335i's step "up" to get out of the vehicle.

Seat comfort / view / interior: higher position, nice view of the road, a bit constricted in the rear window. Good blind spot views - huge mirrors. Manual seats - had 'em, don't really want them again. Tepidly comfy. Not too impressed with the 'lux' qualities of the interior, but that could be trim level.

Drive (the real test): Hated the auto tranny. (Not the car's fault really, but the shift points seem 'off' to me - I've driven a standard for 40 years and tend to drive hard/aggressively on the engine.) Ride was hard, took bumps well, accelerated decently, corners a bit sluggish and oversteered. Didn't get to high speeds (rush hour) so couldn't test with roof open. Not sure if I can get used to the 'manual' part of the transmission either, at least not without paddles.

First real impressions: I suspect not the car for me as I just never got 'thrilled', though I also didn't really have the ability to get to somewhere I could really put it through its paces. Got back in the 335i, hammered the accelerator and went "ahhhhhh.....". Sigh.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 02:46 PM   #32
2thdr
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 Macan GTS/'18 GT3/''21 X5M

X3 35i with Dinan software. End of story...lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #33
mario486
Mario
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X1 XDrive 2.0d, Mini Cooper

[QUOTE=Mulberry;10646465]Here's a thought - how will you feel if you park an SE alongside the new Audi Q3 Sline, Range Rover Evogue, the proposed Porsche Cajun? The X1 is a great car in almost all respects, and currently ahead of its competition re performance/technology, but consider what will be on the market in less than two years time. The gap is narrowing fast.

QUOTE]

Hi Mulberry,

Like for like there is quite a price difference between the X1 SE and Q3/Evoque. The Cajun's prices are not released yet and the UK will probably only see it mid-2013 but Car magazine says its going to be 15% more than the Q5! This means that a base Cajun would be around £42K+, add some basic Porsche options and £50k would be easily passed. My fairly well specced 2.0l XDrive SE cost £33k.
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living" - Nelson Mandela
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 08:29 AM   #34
Mulberry
Catuvellauni
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d MSport

Hi Mario486,

BUT...... a highly specified X1 Msport 23d is going to cost north of £41k in the UK which is similar to the Evogue, and the Cajun's build quality and materials used will be worth the premium based on my personal experience to date. While my current car is meant to be a premium product it dosn't 'feel' as good as the Porsche, and I can't help feeling that margins have been increased at the cost of quality. A case of exceeding the 'elasticity of demand' or 'how to kill brand value'

Last edited by Mulberry; 10-22-2011 at 08:29 AM.. Reason: error
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #35
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Well, I'm out of this thread....just bought a 2011 335i xdrive SE yesterday. Ruby Black on Oyster. Wow! What a car!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #36
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Sounds good. I never really fell for my 335i in a big way, but then I had come from an m3, I would probably like it again more now than I did 5 years ago, also closer to 40 now rather than 30, and the 335i suits me more as I get older.

There are some silly deals on the e92 at the moment in the UK, hmmmmmm?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #37
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

This was really an apples to oranges comparison.

I think if you're looking at hatchbacks and/or wagons for that extra space capacity and good rear passenger comfort then the X1 may be your car. If you don't really need that.. then I don't eve know why anyone would look at one. Don't get me wrong, it's a great vehicle for anyone.. but you can buy more excitement when you have little to no physical characteristic requirements.

An S2000 is a better drivers car than a 335 is.. but you don't really consider them at the same time because they're rather different. The answer almost always depends on what your needs are.

This comparison is just odd...

Sort of like the X1 vs Mini Clubman comparison I saw elsewhere. Not even remotely the same kind of vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #38
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I don't get it either, as much as I have loved my two E91's, they are now a 7 year old car that has been replaced, well as good as replaced, you can order the new 3 series now and we will see them in 3 months on the road.

Nice car, but I wouldn't have dropped money on it now.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 10:14 AM   #39
xspencex
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 18d

Back in April I was looking at the Audi A4 Avant, Merc C220CDI Estate and 320d Touring, the X1 was a surprise, not only was it similar in size it was 4x4, better driving position for the wife and cheaper. I really see this as a 3-Series on stilts, but you're paying 1-Series money.

We've been really happy with ours, I have used it for business, and it eats miles and sips fuel. Without being too heavy on the accelerator I'm getting 40mpg Av. but I'm also not doing the speed limit most of the time. To put it in prospective I had an Alfa Mito 1.4T before and like for like I’d be getting 34mpg max and in my Merc 280E I’d be getting 25mpg! So I’m a happy bunny.

The wife often takes it to horse events where we have to park on grass/mud, seems the only cars not struggling to move is ours and the usual Range Rovers and Land Rovers. Pretty happy about that, because I hate pushing!

Interior has been both good and bad, first the good. Its a simple yet stylish layout. . .I hate loads of flashing lights and buttons so I'm really happy with the BMW's minimal approach. However there are a few little rattles and squeaks that annoy the hell out of me. Most seem temp dependent. When the car is cold I get all sorts, when the car has heated up they go. Different plastics contracting/expanding at different rates is the usual story but this is a £30k car. . .

The engine is brilliant and only my personal need for more grunt would make me buy the 20d model if I were to go back, and even better the 23d!

Handling has been the biggest surprise for me, its absolutely brilliant. I’ve seen references by car magazines suggesting it rides and handles better than some of the 3-Series range. . .I don’t doubt it Only criticism would be the overly heavy steering which at low speed was a bit of a hurdle for my wife before she got used to it. I can imagine that this puts a lot of women off the car, as first impressions count.

In terms of spec we have the x-drive, full leather, heated seats, Bluetooth, comfort pack, 18” wheels, parking sensors front and back and cruise control. . .only thing I wish it had was a better stereo with USB interface for my iPhone/iPod. Other than that it has everything I need.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #40
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post
This was really an apples to oranges comparison.

I think if you're looking at hatchbacks and/or wagons for that extra space capacity and good rear passenger comfort then the X1 may be your car. If you don't really need that.. then I don't eve know why anyone would look at one.
The comparison was driven, in my case, by a need (maybe a desire?) to ease two things: left hip flexing on the clutch and the low seat position/lack of lumbar support which made it difficult for me to get in/out. Secondarily to both was to maintain an xdrive as I travel between Calgary and the Okanagan through the Rocky Mountains on a regular basis, winter and summer. Cargo wasn't an issue - seat position was.

BUT - and it's a big one - I had a price range (around $60K CDN) to stay in AND I'm a driver first and foremost. I don't think I appreciated that as much when looking at the X1. It's a great car - just not for me.

I FAR prefer the articulation of the 335i - and as soon as I touched (and heard) the SE, which is basically a 335is with xdrive - I knew that I'd found the most fun I can have in a car not badged "M3".....and $25,000 less.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #41
WiredRacing
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1 28i

Well I appreciate the idea of the 335 being more of a drivers car, but as a motorsport competitor and performance driving instructor, I can say the X1 is brilliant for what it is and a big performance surprise. But you are right on that the 335 is a great value. However there are cars you could have fun with for 10K. Hell there's a whole racing series that revolves around $500 cars.

Still I find it interesting you would choose the 335 here considering your comments on the X1's 8AT. I'm assuming here the 335 has the same auto transmission as the 2011 328xi Touring I drove which is a 6speed and no where near as responsive as the X1's. If they put the same thing in the X1, I probably wouldn't have bought BMW (well certainly not an auto).

One mans garbage is another mans treasure I suppose.

My recollection from the time I drove a friends 335 (he didn't keep it long... he rarely does) was the interior was notably nicer than the X1's. You usually get what you pay for. Usually.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 09:34 PM   #42
idspispopd
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredRacing View Post
One mans garbage is another mans treasure I suppose.

My recollection from the time I drove a friends 335 (he didn't keep it long... he rarely does) was the interior was notably nicer than the X1's. You usually get what you pay for. Usually.
True enough on both counts. I found the X1 shift points too soft for me -- it didn't really want to shift at the time that I would. Having said that, the manual portion of the tranny does provide better control.

Yes - the M3-style carbon fibre interior and the fit and finish of the 335 were far superior to that of the X1 - and the whole thing cost less than the X1-M sport I was looking at. More, however, than 'just' a loaded X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #43
greenfunk
Rep
Drives: X1

late to the party, but i've got the 18i sdrive with nevada leather, fine line wood trim, business nav, x-line package, panoramic sunroof and in automatic.
I've had it for the last 2 months and i've clocked in about 2000km.
truth be told the power is not gonna thrill you since you've got a 335i, sometimes when im rushing and floor the accelerator at the traffic light you can hear the car revving but you can see the car really isnt moving. Although pick up is not good cruising at high speeds are rather stable and i find that i end up going a lot faster then i should without even knowing it.
The comfort in the cabin is good the seats are nice and i find the interior similar to that of the E60. just that it doesnt have the fancy schmancy gear selector.
Business sat-nav is good especially when i want to select music but the directions the sat nav give is... whoa. sometimes i feel like strangling the voice.
& Just today i went to ikea and i got 2 lack side tables, a 6 seater dining table, a poang arm chair a small metal drawer and i managed to get it into the boot and still had space for 1 in the back seat!
btw, i'm averaging 11.6l/km so i think that's pretty good.
i love how it's kind of big but not big at the same time. it's quite easy to zip around and parking is easy as well! Other than it not having much power, I really like every other thing about the car.
Appreciate 0