XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

12-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #23
HDA
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000

I am in Texas and bought this car in Colorado.

Maybe the ECU needs adjustment? Because for sure she is a thirsty girl! Barely staying above 20mpg. True I live in the city and drive like an idiot most of the time. I just can't help the mid range torque...

I also want to align the car after I put some spacers.

I had some heavy wind noise that I read it was common but it was driving me craazy. FOund out they did not strip the red tape covering the glue for the upper part of the windshield gasket. Now the noise is gone!
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #24
PR X13.5i
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 xDrive 3.5i

Hello.

I bought my 2013 35i X-Line, with 48k miles back in April, 21. Up until today I've had a bunch of issues, most of them seem that be fairly common.

Thermostat. Thermostat got stuck open, coolant pressure got way high, so it blew up the coolant reservoir.

Valve cover gasket. Went ahead an changed the oil pan gasket as well. Tech showed me that the seals on the oil cooler had already been replaced.

Alternator. Car is in the shop as we speak.

Although it sounds like a lot, i figure that the car is 8 years old and stuff fails. On the other hand, I love the car. It drives great, has good power and it's really fun to drive. Almost like a mature hot hatch.

Good luck with yours!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 08:31 PM   #25
HDA
Private
Rep

So today I received a used JB+ and wanted to try it out.

All excited I plug it in and…whomp whomp whomp
Reduced power, service soon light etc (car was idling ok)

For fear of damages I removed it and then cleared the codes via OBd2. One errors said p0238 I think, excessive turbocharger pressure.

No chit, that’s what I wanted!

Help?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 11:15 AM   #26
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDA View Post
So today I received a used JB+ and wanted to try it out.

All excited I plug it in and…whomp whomp whomp
Reduced power, service soon light etc (car was idling ok)

For fear of damages I removed it and then cleared the codes via OBd2. One errors said p0238 I think, excessive turbocharger pressure.

No chit, that’s what I wanted!

Help?
I'd reach out to Burger...I have a JB4 that's been in use for years with absolutely no problems...

FWIW, I'd never by a used tuner box... no telling what could have happened to it. I'd return to whomever sold it to you
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #27
HDA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwickberg View Post
I'd reach out to Burger...I have a JB4 that's been in use for years with absolutely no problems...

FWIW, I'd never by a used tuner box... no telling what could have happened to it. I'd return to whomever sold it to you
Mine is a JB+ not a JB4.
Do they plug in the same port? If so could you post a picture of where it goes?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #28
cwickberg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 35i MSport Ultimate,

Quote:
Mine is a JB+ not a JB4.
Do they plug in the same port? If so could you post a picture of where it goes?
Sorry, my daughter has the car now and likely doesn't have a clue... you can see install instructions at Burger Website. My comment was related to the fact that Burger has lots of these tunes installed on BMWs...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #29
HDA
Private
Rep

Installed the black grille: am I a certified BMW fanboy now?

Name:  6AFC77E1-A1AE-45F0-A5C5-C44F9E1B5956.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  409.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #30
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Installed the black grille: am I a certified BMW fanboy now?

Attachment 2772485
+1 on that grill, it makes such a difference! Nice Porche by the way!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #31
HDA
Private
Rep

Ok so after 2 months now I want to mod it 😜

I am thinking charge pipe, MHD tune and high flow cat. And also a gearbox tune to make it more responsive to the loud pedal
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 05:27 PM   #32
HDA
Private
Rep

Took the car to a local indy today to get a couple of items sorted out:

- Spark Plugs change. The car has 61k miles and I don't know if they had ever been replaced in the past.
- Differentials front and rear because...well, because I always do that
- Transfer case, no idea if needed but while in there I though it made sense to replace also that
- AC Evaporator cleaning, hoping to get rid of the manure smell

Still debating whether to spend $1k on down pipe + MHD tune + gearbox tune
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:31 PM   #33
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took the car to a local indy today to get a couple of items sorted out:

- Spark Plugs change. The car has 61k miles and I don't know if they had ever been replaced in the past.
- Differentials front and rear because...well, because I always do that
- Transfer case, no idea if needed but while in there I though it made sense to replace also that
- AC Evaporator cleaning, hoping to get rid of the manure smell

Still debating whether to spend $1k on down pipe + MHD tune + gearbox tune
Do it! Bang for your buck, do VRSF catless downpipe, MHD flash, and xHP that transmission. It will feel like a different car. Only problem is you will want more. The stock turbo runs out of steam up top, so the tune will add mostly midrange power. Then when you downshift you can end up landing past the new-found power band, which is a little frustrating. After a while you may end up wanting a turbo upgrade.

I'm at 60k miles too, and am planning on getting the transmission fluid and pan repaced soon for preventative maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2022, 09:28 AM   #34
HDA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Do it! Bang for your buck, do VRSF catless downpipe, MHD flash, and xHP that transmission. It will feel like a different car. Only problem is you will want more. The stock turbo runs out of steam up top, so the tune will add mostly midrange power. Then when you downshift you can end up landing past the new-found power band, which is a little frustrating. After a while you may end up wanting a turbo upgrade.

I'm at 60k miles too, and am planning on getting the transmission fluid and pan repaced soon for preventative maintenance.

That's interesting to know, i rarely stretch all the gears anyways.
Assuming I would also need a new charge pipe as the stock one may go kaboom...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2022, 10:58 PM   #35
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's interesting to know, i rarely stretch all the gears anyways.
Assuming I would also need a new charge pipe as the stock one may go kaboom...
Yeah, chargepipe blowing is more of a matter of when vs. if. It's not uncommon for people to blow those on the stock tune. I did VRSF there too, and it fit just fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #36
healeydays
Private
Rep
Drives: 2001 Z3 3.0 --- 2014 X1 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchboat View Post
I have the Alpina transmission flash on my 2015 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport and I like it very much, but it might not be for everyone. In my experience the Alpina flash makes the regular ‘D’ mode of the transmission operate much like European drivers shifting a manual transmission on their daily commute; it upshifts early at part throttle and seeks to maximize economy - not performance.

Putting in Sport Mode has the opposite effect - rev matching with the steering wheel paddles is awesome. And I like that - either shift mode - the dashboard ALWAYS indicates what gear is engaged (D4, D6, etc).

I did have to program the car twice - once to enable the Alpina transmission profile, and a second time to re-enable the steering wheel shift paddles. I also have my engine tuned to ‘Stage 2’ using MHD N55e App - though I *think* I flashed the transmission before using MHD - I had a Burger JB N55 Stage 1 hardware tune installed before I switched to MHD).

Here are the instructions I followed to perform the Alpina flash: https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20991

Where in New England are you and how long was the whole process for the Alpina and paddle shifters?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #37
HDA
Private
Rep

Installed the charge pipe today: to whomever said "a 20 minutes job" you are liars and I hate you

Went for a drive and got a service soon - aaaaaahhhhhhhh
Then realized I forgot to plug the sensor on the intake lol

Tomorrow I will get the JB4 with bluetooth connection and proceed with the install.

I am looking at downpipes, there really is not a catted downpipe for our cars is there?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:41 PM   #38
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Haha, it took me forever to get mine in too! But once you've done it, it's probably a 20 min. job next time.

Kind of. The e90 335 downpipes fit, so you should look at those. Depending on the brand, some list e84 as well as e90, but they should all fit an e84 as long as they're n55. I got the vrsf catless downpipe. I didn't put it on myself, but the shop said they had no fitment issues. Same goes for intercoolers, look for e90 n55 intercoolers. I got the Wagner EVO 1 and put it in myself. Fit fine with no trimming needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 08:42 PM   #39
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh sorry, just saw catted downpipe. VRSF and Wagner both make high flow catted versions. Probably others too, just don't know the brands off the top of my head.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 07:56 AM   #40
HDA
Private
Rep

Quote:
Haha, it took me forever to get mine in too! But once you've done it, it's probably a 20 min. job next time.

Kind of. The e90 335 downpipes fit, so you should look at those. Depending on the brand, some list e84 as well as e90, but they should all fit an e84 as long as they're n55. I got the vrsf catless downpipe. I didn't put it on myself, but the shop said they had no fitment issues. Same goes for intercoolers, look for e90 n55 intercoolers. I got the Wagner EVO 1 and put it in myself. Fit fine with no trimming needed.
Great info on intercoolers, thank you!
I live in Texas and it gets HAWT here. I was looking at the VRSF intercooler but now I will also look at the Wagner EVO.

Install of the JB4 probably tonight! Excited!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 05:49 AM   #41
Duchess22
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: %C2%91%E2%80%9911 e92 335i spo

Quote:
I believe xHP stage 1 is pretty much a duplicate of Alpina, but you can see what gear your're in regardless of normal, sport, or manual. Plus you can go to stage 2, 3, and I believe 4 is even available for e84 (they flat out DO NOT RECOMMEND for street use, as stage 4 pretty much keeps you redlined), and they have shift point editors and things so you can customize to suit your needs.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can do to your car with a phone these days.
I have the xHP eco setting on during the winter. Its much better than the eco button because it doesn't sap the rest of the auxiliary power or make the gas pedal dead. But it does change the shift points. On non icy days i just pop it over the sport and have the responsiveness back in an instant.

XHP + sprint booster + MHD = A versatile, fun, car
      08-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #42
HDA
Private
Rep

Update! I installed the JB4 and removed it after one week.

It made great power but I suspect it would cause excessive wear on the drivetrain, so I removed it.

So I decided to keep it stock

I really like the premium feel of the ultimate package and I still look back at it after I park it. It must be the color. I wish I could lower it a bit but I don't want to spend $2k all in "just for looks".
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 09:41 AM   #43
HDA
Private
Rep

Does anyone know how to get mphs in the 20s when not pushing 😢?

Man this car is thirsty
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 01:41 PM   #44
sudermatt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35M

Quote:
Does anyone know how to get mphs in the 20s when not pushing 😢?

Man this car is thirsty
In city driving? i doubt it's even possible. if you have 60% freeway driving, you can do it if you're easy on the freeway.

Just forget about it. You spend an extra $75 / month in gas for a driving experience that makes you smile....well worth it in my book.