XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

10-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #1
trek8000
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X1 35i Alpine White

X1 Paintless Dent Removal Plan / Body Side Molding?

No, I do not have any door dings nor do I want one on my new X1. I have been careful where I park but it seems no matter how careful you are there is always that inconsiderate driver ... well you know the rest. The dealer offers a "Paintless Dent Removal 3 Year Plan" unlimited removal of dents/dings w/o sanding or painting for a price of $409.00. Let's admit that body side molding is not very attractive but I it does provide just a bit more protection and peace of mind. Has anyone looked into body side molding that is made for this model? I am exploring options and wondering what others have done if anything.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

It would be difficult to put a side molding on the X1 that would blend with the design. It has a rising swage line that is also slightly curved. Th doors themselves are also slightly concave exactly where a rubbing strip would do the most good.

I'd say skip the ding plan and just deal with them if and when you get them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
derSpeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i M sport

Some places charge $100 + per ding. I just had 5 taken out of my x3 this summer. Just as the PDR guy (my friend) left, I noticed two dings right in the front section of my hood. He removed them the following week, but advised me that he would have charged anyone else a lot of money because of the location of the dings. I always park far from everyone and always try to get end spot so only one side of my car is exposed. It worked for all of my previous cars, but sometimes that doesn't matter. The aforementioned hood dings came from an object that flew off a truck about 50 car-lengths in front of me. I thought it was a piece of rubber, so I didn't check for damage at the time.

That price is good if you anticipate a lot of dings.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

My dealer tried to sell a similar package, but it wasn't as attractively priced. They had it bundled with a tire and wheel damage package that worked out to about $4k. I told them where they could stick that.

A wheel is $230, a tire is a little more and the four year old 135i we traded in that had one small door ding, two small hail dents and three curbed wheels (my wife's car, she likes curbs) and they deducted a total of $250 on trade in for those things. The silly finance guy wasn't too sure how to explain how paying $4k extra would benefit me when $250 had covered the previous car.

For $400 though, I'd take that deal and avoid any sort of door protection stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
JOE YOUNG
SEAL TEAM SIX
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E46 E90 E84 F30 X3G01 LCI

im just wondering..is there a school for this trade.i want to learn it myself.imagine for a lifetime how many dings you will encounter,and sorted for free
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjy2000 View Post
im just wondering..is there a school for this trade.i want to learn it myself.imagine for a lifetime how many dings you will encounter,and sorted for free
There are classes, tools and whatnot available for this. The classes are kinda expensive and rather closely guarded. I looked into this a while ago, and came to the conclusion that there is this large barrier to entry (cost) to keep most from finding out that it's really not that hard with a little practice.

When I've had dent removal places take out dents, they've driven the car into their shop, closed the door so nobody can see what they are doing, and 5 minutes later, all done.
Appreciate 0