XBimmers X1   XBimmers X1
  XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge

06-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #1
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Pete Rose bet on Baseball as a player???

Sayyyyy whaaaatttt?

Come on this is nothing new.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...orse-for-rose/

I'm sick of this...let the guy in the hall. You're going to let a whole generation of PED users in. Such hypocrisy!
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post
Sayyyyy whaaaatttt?

Come on this is nothing new.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb...orse-for-rose/

I'm sick of this...let the guy in the hall. You're going to let a whole generation of PED users in. Such hypocrisy!
agreed let him in.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:11 AM   #3
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Only if he confesses to EVERYTHING. If not then baseball should ban him 4good.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
#Tee
Major General
Rep
Drives: yes

im sure many players do this in all sports. so easy to get away with. hire your close group of friends to place bets for you. give them a cut and shave points.

You can follow my builds on IG: Tee212
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

he's still in denial....
      06-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #6
eric@helix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 M Coupe, 08 135i, '12 328i

Let him in the Hall. Nobody will hire him to coach anyway. Imagine if Babe Ruth were under the scrutiny that players are today...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 02:01 PM   #7
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Why would anyone say to let him in the HOF??! He denied he bet on baseball after the Dowd report in '89. Then in 2004, he "kinda" admits he did, but only as a manager. He vehemently denied betting as a player for 26 years. Now, the evidence finally shows that he bet on his own team while playing. He's a piece of shit and did something that can never be condoned. How does anyone know that he tried to do things to alter the games he played in? If I were a former teammate, I would be pissed.

Also, you can't compare what he did as the same as PED's era. It is a form of cheating, but it is the cardinal sin in any sport to bet on your own team. Totally disgraceful. And btw, there will be NO players like McGuire, Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, etc. that will ever get into the HOF. Doesn't matter how many records they broke, they will never get rewarded. I pray that Rose just goes away now and stops trying to get his lifetime ban rescinded. He has no case.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 2
      06-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #8
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Does MLB fans have a say or vote on this? This has been a topic since I was in elementary school.
      06-23-2015, 02:45 PM   #9
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

As I will continue to say let him in. Let Barry, Sammy, Mark, A rod let them all in. Armstrong, Gay, Jones, let everybody in.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #10
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Armstrong is gay? What?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #11
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Why would anyone say to let him in the HOF??! He denied he bet on baseball after the Dowd report in '89. Then in 2004, he "kinda" admits he did, but only as a manager. He vehemently denied betting as a player for 26 years. Now, the evidence finally shows that he bet on his own team while playing. He's a piece of shit and did something that can never be condoned. How does anyone know that he tried to do things to alter the games he played in? If I were a former teammate, I would be pissed.

Also, you can't compare what he did as the same as PED's era. It is a form of cheating, but it is the cardinal sin in any sport to bet on your own team. Totally disgraceful. And btw, there will be NO players like McGuire, Bonds, Clemens, A-Rod, etc. that will ever get into the HOF. Doesn't matter how many records they broke, they will never get rewarded. I pray that Rose just goes away now and stops trying to get his lifetime ban rescinded. He has no case.
Haywood is correct. Betting undermines the idea of a sport being on the level. As a sport if viewers believe the outcome has been determined, then the sport descends into the gutter. Also baseball had no policy on PEDs until recently, so you could argue that some players weren't even cheating. Bans against betting are posted in every clubhouse and it's a well known taboo and rule. The fact that Rose has lied the whole way is disgraceful. He's an addict in denial who refuses to take any responsibility for his actions. I am dumbfounded how such a piece of crap continues to receive such support to get him in the Hall of Fame.

Now I would let him and any other player in if they put it on the plaques. Just tell the whole story. Pete Rose, most hits in baseball, but banned from baseball for betting on baseball as a player and coach. Barry Bonds, multiple MVP, one of the best left fielders in baseball history, but his stats are inflated after he started taking PEDs.

Don't forget you have to let Shoeless Joe Jackson in also.
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
MR92
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92

Pretty sure he never bet against his team. Unless he was exhausting his bullpen to get better chances of winning a certain game, or sitting players, how did he manipulate the outcome of any games? Besides he was like 9/10 people, a losing bettor. No records that show he banked money from fading his own team, he was a loser. If the cardinal sin in sport is gambling on your own team, what is cheating considered?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:25 AM   #13
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR92 View Post
Pretty sure he never bet against his team. Unless he was exhausting his bullpen to get better chances of winning a certain game, or sitting players, how did he manipulate the outcome of any games? Besides he was like 9/10 people, a losing bettor. No records that show he banked money from fading his own team, he was a loser. If the cardinal sin in sport is gambling on your own team, what is cheating considered?
You answered the question in your own post. If he bets on his team, then the way he plays or manages is artificial. Does he change the staring rotation on an off day? Bring in the closer early? Leave a star pitcher out longer. Cancel an off day for a hot hitter? All kinds of unnatural moves could occur because he bet on the game.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #14
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

+1

The rules are very clear. 21 D states: "
(d) BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or
employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in
connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared
ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall
bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which
the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible."

He broke the rule many times as a player and manager. He lied about it many times. It's too bad. He was an amazing player.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #15
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
he's still in denial....
+1

It's such a shame that one of the greatest players of all time is leaving such a blemished legacy. His denial magnifies the problem.

He could be such a role model to kids and adults if he just admitted he repeatedly broke rule 21d and then repeatedly lied about it. His message could be to the kids, "Bad choices have bad outcomes. Don't diminish your talent, ability, passion, drive, and hard work by making stupid choices that impact you for the rest of your life."

He still won't get into the HOF, but getting off the denial train and using his story as a teachable moment would help one of the greatest players of all time improve his public image and probably make him a happier person.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #16
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRib View Post
You answered the question in your own post. If he bets on his team, then the way he plays or manages is artificial. Does he change the staring rotation on an off day? Bring in the closer early? Leave a star pitcher out longer. Cancel an off day for a hot hitter? All kinds of unnatural moves could occur because he bet on the game.
Agree completely. If they have 4 games this week, the one he bet on may be far more important than the rest.

I live in Cincinnati and feel like he understood the rules and broke them, then denied it until it made financial sense to come clean, now is sorry he did all of it and wants us to go along with it. If he had made one bet, was caught, confessed immediately, said he was sorry, etc. I would feel sorry for him. Instead the whole thing (betting, denial, etc) went on for year.

I could see putting his accomplishments in the HOF, what he did as a player was great and I don't believe he did anything against the rules to accomplish them, unlike the PED users.
      06-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #17
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

I think they'll let him in, just not in his lifetime. But then again it could be like Shoeless Joe Jackson. MLB holds grudges
Appreciate 0