XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > General BMW X1 (E84) Forum

02-18-2018, 08:42 AM   #1
bbqbrisket
Registered
Rep
Drives: x1

drivers seat alignment

I have an '18 and notice that the steering wheel does not line up with my sternum. It;s about 1 1/2 inches left of center.
Are all x1's like this? Is this a factory design or was the seat not centered correctly during manufacturing? Or something else?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 10:05 AM   #2
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i (times 2)

Garage List
I wouldn't think it is normal in any car, unless your sternum happens to be off center ;-)
Take it in and have them look at it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Certainly not going to be a warranty thing...nothing failed to upset the alignment like that.

I've never noticed, but is it like the M2/2 Series, with the driver's seat angled a bit?

You're going to have to find a way to put it out of your mind...or sell the car.

Oh..and you're in the E84 section (the first-gen X1). You should post in the F48 (2016+) section...no relevant answers to be found in here.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-18-2018 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 08:39 PM   #4
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Certainly not going to be a warranty thing...nothing failed to upset the alignment like that.

I've never noticed, but is it like the M2/2 Series, with the driver's seat angled a bit?

You're going to have to find a way to put it out of your mind...or sell the car.

Oh..and you're in the E84 section (the first-gen X1). You should post in the F48 (2016+) section...no relevant answers to be found in here.
I think BMW would be hard pressed to blame this on him, so it would be warrantied. They had to replace my rear discs, brakes, parking brake innards, etc etc because they got stuck, broke, and warped things that shouldn't. I didn't break them, they just fell apart.

That being said as always it depends on your relationship with your stealership. I keep mine healthy for when I need it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdanielvzw View Post
I think BMW would be hard pressed to blame this on him, so it would be warrantied. They had to replace my rear discs, brakes, parking brake innards, etc etc because they got stuck, broke, and warped things that shouldn't. I didn't break them, they just fell apart.

That being said as always it depends on your relationship with your stealership. I keep mine healthy for when I need it.
I think you misunderstood my point. There's very literally no foreseeable part failures that would result in an offset between the steering wheel (and thus the steering column, dash board, unibody, etc.) and the seat. The seat itself, the seat rails, etc. do not fail. The drilled holes in the unibody for the seat are templated from the factory, and are nothing the dealer would, or could, even fix (e.g., re-position).

What I'm saying is, if there is an offset, it's not because of a part failure. There's not going to be a repair to fix the "problem".

As we've seen with F series cars, the seat tends to be a bit angled from the factory. If you sit in the seat squarely, you'll face the center of the wheel, but still be angled a bit from a true straight-ahead view.

If you sit in the seat not quite squarely so you face straight out the front of the car, you'll be offset from the center of wheel a bit.

What are you suggesting? That the seat rails failed, and folded over so as to offset the seat laterally by over an inch? Of that the steering column and dash crumpled laterally? That's outside the realm of rational thought...

Hopefully, they can at least loosen the seat rail bolts, and cheat it a bit more to his liking, but beyond that...this is something he's going to have to live with.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 02-19-2018 at 07:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
mcdanielvzw
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
I think you misunderstood my point. There's very literally no foreseeable part failures that would result in an offset between the steering wheel (and thus the steering column, dash board, unibody, etc.) and the seat. The seat itself, the seat rails, etc. do not fail. The drilled holes in the unibody for the seat are templated from the factory, and are nothing the dealer would, or could, even fix.

What I'm saying is, if there is an offset, it's not because of a part failure. There's not going to be a repair to fix the "problem".

As we've seen with F series cars, the seat tends to be a bit angled from the factory. If you sit in the seat squarely, you'll face the center of the wheel, but still be angled a bit from a true straight-ahead view.

If you sit in the seat not quite squarely so you face straight out the front of the car, you'll be offset from the center of wheel a bit.

What are you suggesting? That the seat rails failed, and folded over so as to offset the seat laterally by over an inch? Of that the steering column and dash crumpled laterally? That's outside the realm of rational thought...

Hopefully, they can at least loosen the seat rail bolts, and cheat it a bit more to his liking, but beyond that...this is something he's going to have to live with.
I see what you're saying (and I'm not arguing, honestly - You could easily be 100% right, I've never driven an F series to notice outside of a 1 day loaner). I was thinking along the lines of something made the column itself angled, if ever so slightly - perhaps it wasn't installed quite right from the get go since it is a 2018, and it could be an honest miss.

I say that because I had to have some work done on my previous car, and when the techs took it off the lift my steering wheel was no longer "tdc" when the wheels were pointed straight ahead - it was crooked by 10 degrees as if you were turning. Applles to oranges comparison but that was my thinking.

Call it wishful thinking that he can indeed get it fixed
Appreciate 0